GDT - NY Islanders @ Sabres - December 31, 2018 - 6:00 PM - MSG-B; MSG+

Sabres Fan in NS

31 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

I don't see how the islanders can beat us out for the wildcard. Their roster looks minor league 

Hard work can be a great equalizer. How many games have the Sabres played a full 60 minutes?  

Even during the winning streak, they were outplayed for long stretches in just about every game.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Scandella should sit. He's was awful last game. 

I am not a  huge Scandella fan but I thought he played well.  

1 goal,  1 assist, +2, 3 SOG, 3 hits, 18 minutes. 

Take away this awful contribution and we get shut out.   Unless you have facts to show we score 3 goals and give up 0 goals with Pilut on the ice?   If you can do that why can’t Phil? 

Edited by Pimlach

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I feel like Dahlin needs a permanent partner. 

Would be nice, but won't happen until he's ready to be the #1 guy.  Expecting he'll primarily be with Bogosian this season, but that only works when he's playing at a 4/5 level.

Too bad Scandella's had such an off- season so far.  Could've been Scandella-Ristolainen, Dahlin-Bogosian, & McCabe- any of the "other 3" and they'd've had 3 2nd pairing+ quality pairings.

1 hour ago, OverPowerYou said:

I don't see how the islanders can beat us out for the wildcard. Their roster looks minor league 

Maybe from the bottom six.  But keep this in mind.  They are missing Eberle and Ladd from the line up posted here.   Below is a comparison of lines using today's Daily face off.  It completes the narrative so many have been complaining about.  The Sabres line # 2 and 3 cannot compare to that of the Islanders (or most teams), and the Sabres Line #1 is usually dominates their opponents.    We could argue that Eberle might bolster the first lines point, but it would also push one of the other starters down and improve their second line's even more so.  Its obvious that having those elite players are vital to the success of the team, but depth cannot be underscored, so to speak. 

production.  SabresvIsles.thumb.JPG.2283d5005754ac1ab90eaaf479980e60.JPG

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I am not a  huge Scandella fan but I thought he played well.  

1 goal,  1 assist, +2, 3 SOG, 3 hits, 18 minutes. 

Take away this awful contribution and we get shut out.   Unless you have facts to show we score 3 goals and give up 0 goals with Pilut on the ice?   If you can do that why can’t Phil? 

Good for him. Yes let me use my time travel device to change the past to answer your hyperbole. 

He wasn't good in his own end. That's my opinion. I knew his stats before posting it. I stand by that opinion. Scandella had his issues in his own end. 

Guess we'll see how he does tonight. 

20 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Maybe from the bottom six.  But keep this in mind.  They are missing Eberle and Ladd from the line up posted here.   Below is a comparison of lines using today's Daily face off.  It completes the narrative so many have been complaining about.  The Sabres line # 2 and 3 cannot compare to that of the Islanders (or most teams), and the Sabres Line #1 is usually dominates their opponents.    We could argue that Eberle might bolster the first lines point, but it would also push one of the other starters down and improve their second line's even more so.  Its obvious that having those elite players are vital to the success of the team, but depth cannot be underscored, so to speak. 

production.  SabresvIsles.thumb.JPG.2283d5005754ac1ab90eaaf479980e60.JPG

Ladd isn't elite. Or good. He's probably at a 3rd liner level. Will be interesting to see how we match up though. I think your Eberle point his spot on. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

It would be poetic justice if Lehner plays and the game goes to a shootout.

Only if he doesn't make a single save in the SO would it be poetic justice.....

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Scandella should sit. He's was awful last game. 

Yes awfully good and was the best defense man on the ice.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I don't like to quote that guy, but ...

WRONG!!

The Snarks, the Peguins and I think some others too

(insert that winkie-winkie thingie here)

I love reading your posts NS.  Just saying, I think you may be a jinx on the gdt’s ?

Everyone has their flaws ?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ladd isn't elite. Or good. He's probably at a 3rd liner level. 

I don't think I said he was.  In fact I only suggested that Eberle might push down someone from FL1 to FL2.  Ladd might in fact be a third liner.  And if so it only strengthens my original point regarding that the middle 6 comparison.  B/c Ladd at .5 PPG would be superior to any FL2 or FL3 the Sabres have at this point.   Who would you rather start on FL3?  Ladd/Filppula/Sang or Tage/Vlad/Pommers.   Just saying its not "minor league".   

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Jack’s a Game time decision today

Was on the ice this AM though

When Housley says "Maintenance Day" and that he expects the guy to play, usually that guy ends up on IR in a few days. 

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Hutton in net

Pilut scratched again 

I've begun preliminary shopping for bunker materials. 

8 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Do they no longer do the Tux & Pucks thing? I did see they are giving away Tux Koozies this year, but I remember the NYE Tux and Pucks thing being a big deal when I was growing up.

I don’t think it’s a thing anymore. The team had one a couple years ago, and my gf at the time and I were one of the only ones in the entire crowd who actually dressed up. 

Recently, we've all been saying "must win" and that we need to stay ahead of the Bruins and Habs. But the game tonight really is a MUST WIN.

I don't know how many of you guys realize that the Isles are in 15th place overall in the league. However, with a win tonight they will be ONLY 2pts behind us and have 2 games in hand. I wonder if the team realizes just how close the pack behind us is and how far we could fall in just a short while.

Maybe that's what JBots meant when he said help is on the way.....a much higher pick in the draft? Can you say the "T" word that we all hate to say? 

22nd place (FLA) is 10pts behind us. They (and 6 other teams between us and them) have games in hand on us, so it's even possibly closer to reality than some would think.

LET'S GO BOYS....get the lead out of your

7 of the next 11 games are against teams between us and 22nd place. Two more games are against teams ahead of us. The other 2 games are against NJD and 'Canes who sit just outside that 22nd place spot.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.