GDT - Bruins @ Sabres - December 29, 2018 - 7:00 PM - MSG-B; NESN

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Good to see that tons of awesome, loyal, best fans in the league couldn't be bothered to attend and sold out their team — again.

I get the frustration but I don't think anyone owes this team anything.  They've sucked for years and merely put together an impressive win streak.  They haven't looked that good and I think a lot of the fans are skeptical.  Just my opinion.

57 minutes ago, Thorny said:

4-6-4 since the streak. 

There's a ton of different ways to read that. 

I think the most favourable way of looking at it is that we are two OT bounces away from a 6-6-2, .500 points % mark, which is around what we needed to play at to make the playoffs once the streak ended. 

And probably pretty representative of what the team is. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think the prediction thread had most people expecting in the 80-point range. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I get the frustration but I don't think anyone owes this team anything.  They've sucked for years and merely put together an impressive win streak.  They haven't looked that good and I think a lot of the fans are skeptical.  Just my opinion.

I'm just sick of Bruins, Penguins, Habs and Leafs fans rising as one in the background when their teams crush us.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

And probably pretty representative of what the team is. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think the prediction thread had most people expecting in the 80-point range. 

So even now, after half a season, they're not what their record is, they're what a bunch of blowhards on the Internet said they would be?

After being surprised by the early season surge, I think the Sabres are finally getting to the part where they slow down, like we all expected. THIS is where we see what the team has as far as maturity and leadership. It's easy to be all giddy and happy when you're winning every game. But when you start to lose a bit, this is where you see if the team has the internal core to turn it around. It's something we're not used to as Sabres fans, lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm just sick of Bruins, Penguins, Habs and Leafs fans rising as one in the background when their teams crush us.

So even now, after half a season, they're not what their record is, they're what a bunch of blowhards on the Internet said they would be?

By the end of the season they'll be what their record says they are, but they're definitely still in a spot where the overall record can be deceiving because the streak happened. The 10 wins still count, of course, but it's more influential on their "pace" at 40 games than after 82 have been played. They're a pretty average team that had a run of luck leading to wins, which is great, as it put us in the playoff conversation. But this is pretty much the same team as it was during the streak, just the luck flipping the other way and the goaltending not bailing out the mistakes as frequently. 

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'd try Reino at center with Sheary and Okposo, IF I'm breaking up that line.  Pominville-Eichel-Skinner was successful early; maybe it can be again.  Mittelstadt can work at 3C 1C in Rochester for a while and build his skills.

Yes, and fixed the second thought.

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Eichel and Skinner have 35% of the Sabres total goals.  If you want to distribute scoring on the current roster, those are the guys to move.  It is a horrible idea, and that's why JBots has got to make some moves to fix the rest of the roster.

Not necessarily.  Their percentage could decrease if Reinhart is redeployed and if his redeployment results in another line, or lines, scoring more.

A rising tide lifts all boats, you know?

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

So we are all going to forget his terrible clearing attempt on the PK that ended up in the back of the net for the tying goal a few seconds later?

....  And that was Skinner that failed to clear before the penalty. 

Lots of blame to go around. 

Edited by Pimlach

5 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

We’ve all seen Samson at center.  It didn’t go well... he’s good where he is.  Another center, please, JBots.  

We saw him at center with wingers that couldn't put a puck in the net, I think his best winger was Zemgus.

Now if you try that again, nothing will have changed , we still don't have the wingers that suit his play, unless you move skinner down with him.

51 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

We saw him at center with wingers that couldn't put a puck in the net, I think his best winger was Zemgus.

Now if you try that again, nothing will have changed , we still don't have the wingers that suit his play, unless you move skinner down with him.

Do we try Mitts on the wing with Sam at center??

Would also call up Nylander and smith and sit Sobokta and waive Elie

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Mittlestadt has shown more potential at center already than Sam ever did. With mediocre wingers.   Sam just isn't a center.  He's not improving secondary scoring if we shift him to pivot. 

53 minutes ago, Weave said:

Mittlestadt has shown more potential at center already than Sam ever did. With mediocre wingers.   Sam just isn't a center.  He's not improving secondary scoring if we shift him to pivot. 

Sorry, but I'm just not seeing it. I didn't see it in the preseason, and I haven't seen it all season except for a very few random games here and there. Him and Tage don't belong in the NHL at this point in their development. Possibly ever...but it's way too soon to give up on them, of course.

Send Mittelstadt and Thompson down to Rochester immediately. Let them earn their way back to the NHL. Call up Nylander and Olofsson and see what they can do. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

So we are all going to forget his terrible clearing attempt on the PK that ended up in the back of the net for the tying goal a few seconds later?

Nope, I remember that.  But give the guy some credit here...he played a decent game overall.  He’s been one of our better penalty killers all year too.  There were a boatload of players I would criticize more than sobotka.  Outside of bogosian, our defense was  a total mess.  Risto seemed like he just woke up from a nap, and dahlin was a spectator all night. 

Very concerned about mittelstadt and dahlin lately.  Both slumping big time.

10 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

By the end of the season they'll be what their record says they are, but they're definitely still in a spot where the overall record can be deceiving because the streak happened. The 10 wins still count, of course, but it's more influential on their "pace" at 40 games than after 82 have been played. They're a pretty average team that had a run of luck leading to wins, which is great, as it put us in the playoff conversation. But this is pretty much the same team as it was during the streak, just the luck flipping the other way and the goaltending not bailing out the mistakes as frequently. 

Yep....folks got way too ahead of themselves during the streak as their play just wasn’t that great.  It was good to enjoy of course, but to compare the team to 05-06, was bound to yield disappointment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.