SI Article about Eichel; Now with Link to 2nd Article

Brawndo

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/12/27/jack-eichel-leads-buffalo-sabres-resurgence

I found the last sentences very interesting 

By signing an eight-year, $80 million extension in October 2017—not to mention the waterfront townhouse that he purchased from ex-Bills GM Doug Whaley—Eichel has already made his big commitment to Buffalo. “I thought the team was bound to get better, and I wanted to be the guy here,” he says. “I wanted to be the reason that things changed. I didn’t want to get out and jump ship. I want to help the Sabres to better days.” As such, Eichel instructed his agents to only discuss max-term deals during negotiations. “I feel like I'm more a part of this city than Boston by a long shot now,” he says. “I'm emotionally invested. I’d feel guilty leaving these people.”

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

God ***** you Brawndo 

Since becoming captain on Oct. 3—Terry Pegula recalls Eichel welling up with pride upon receiving the news in Housley’s office—he has taken a hands-on approach. Earlier this month he treated the team to dinner in Nashville.

After Dahlin mishit several one-timers against Los Angeles on Dec. 11, Eichel spent 10 minutes offering technique tips after the next practice, reminding the rookie to keep his elbows bent.

“He’s over at my house all the time,” Bogosian says. “He plays Barbie dolls with my daughter. For a guy of that stature to be a normal person, that goes a long way. He’s taken the time to understand what drives everyone and tries to tap into what makes them tick.”

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 3

Nice article. 

Like how he doesn't like losing and knows he had problems hiding it.  ""When hockey's good, I'm probably a better person," he says. "When hockey's bad, I'm a little bit bitter and pissed off.... [But I've learned] it's important to worry about being a good teammate, making sure your relationships stay strong through poor times, especially at the rink"

I also found this quote interesting "When things were bad, everyone distanced themselves from one another,” he says. “We weren't able to build those relationships that we wanted. I think we took some good steps this summer, and it translated." pretty much sums up the issues with a ZFG TM assembled team. 

“O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done, 
The team has weather’d every rack,....

and finally we are one....

• Like (+1) 2

@Brawndo that was a great read - thanks for the link!

It sounds like the last year and offseason has matured Eichel into a better leader and NHL player. We should remember that he came into the league as a young player with a lot of expectations, but also one who had never really experienced any struggles on the ice. Those challenges take some time to figure out how to react to and overcome. I'm glad to hear how last season's results motivated him to work on all aspects of his game and come out focused this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I might buy an SI for the first time since... ever. Would I be inviting a jinx? After all, the Sabres' fortunes certainly rest on what I do.

I unsubscribed to both SI and ESPN Magazine because of their lack of hockey coverage. 

I might actually buy one as well 

56 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I unsubscribed to both SI and ESPN Magazine because of their lack of hockey coverage. 

I might actually buy one as well 

I never much liked either one because too many pictures, not enough words.  This Eichel article is longer than my memory of previous SI articles.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.