Sabres Expected to Get A Third Jersey for 2019-20

Brawndo

13 hours ago, WildCard said:

The 3rd red was awesome. And the Slug was infinitely better than the Turdburger 

I have one of the Reds.. it was the best of that time period.

I would bet the 3rd's next year will be a royal design that they will then transition into as the regular for the 50th anniversary season.  During the 50th they will have a different 3rd to wear as well.

They can reverse the colors and go all gold with a little blue.. ?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Current navy superior to royal blue.

The original blues are OK, but also highly overrated.

Everyone went to navy blue and black in the 90s to sell merch fo teenagers and because they did look better on TV at the time. In the era of HDTV, uniforms with bright colors look way better on TV (and have always looked better in person) so teams are wisely changing back. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I'm probably in the vast minority when I say I liked the red/white/black era!  The goat head was horrible, but the all black uniforms were f-ing mean.

I personally like the darker blue color; the lighter "royal blue" and gold and white is pretty cheesy.  You don't really see a lot of things in the world of design in royal blue, gold, and white.

The best you can hope to do with the scheme, IMO, is this, but it requires the addition of red to the colors:

See-the-Swiss-Guards-_Getty_2018_GettyIm

The 1997 uniforms were spectacular — the logo, colors, striping, everything. If the Sabres were an expansion team that year, there would have never been a reason to change. But with the team’s entire history in Blue and gold, it was still a bad decision to adopt those. 

I wouldn’t mind the goat head eventually coming back as a shoulder patch or 3rd jersey crest just to tie everything together in our history. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm old enough to recall the original royal blues, and I still think the red and black goat heads were the best Sabres jerseys of all. In fact that color scheme stripe design was massively popular with junior and high school teams all over North America.

I still want to see the Sabres wear these once...once. After all, it;s the 50th anniversary of the Bisons farewell Calder Cup season.

5dc83deb811cc8d770d6eeff0f98c7e2?AccessKddd2cdcce267a17716628c8566d5d34a?AccessK

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Why is there even a debate.  The first season was 1970/71, so the 50th will be 2020/21.  The Vancouver folks are just, so, I don't know, Canadian?

The 50th season will be 2019-20.  Write it out if you don't believe me.

And you want to be my accountant.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I don't think the league will let them do that.  It would be cool if they did though.

I would have thought that as well but my friend over at pegula sports who is very high up told me this about a year ago.

He was the same one that showed me the Winter Classic Jersey a couple years ago

37 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I would have thought that as well but my friend over at pegula sports who is very high up told me this about a year ago.

He was the same one that showed me the Winter Classic Jersey a couple years ago

And, there is past precedent set for doing that.  The Habs rolled through (most?) all their old sweaters for their 100th anniversary.

Are we celebrating the 50th season, the 50th year of the organization or the 50th year that the franchise was awarded?

The Franchise was awarded in Dec 1969.

Imlach was hired as coach and GM on 1/16/1970 and the first regular season game was 10/15/1970.

This is actually the 49th season the team has existed, but only their 48th season of actual play do to the lockout.  

If you consider the Dec 1969 the team's birthdate then Dec of next season is the 50th year.

So pick your 50th anniversary;  Dec 2019, Oct 2020 or Oct 2021.  Thanks for playing.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

'71

'72

'73

'03

'04

'05

'06

'07

'19

'20

'21 - 50

Don't forget we missed 1 season.

The "missed season," no.  Doesn't count.

59 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Are we celebrating the 50th season, the 50th year of the organization or the 50th year that the franchise was awarded?

The Franchise was awarded in Dec 1969.

Imlach was hired as coach and GM on 1/16/1970 and the first regular season game was 10/15/1970.

This is actually the 49th season the team has existed, but only their 48th season of actual play do to the lockout.  

If you consider the Dec 1969 the team's birthdate then Dec of next season is the 50th year.

So pick your 50th anniversary;  Dec 2019, Oct 2020 or Oct 2021.  Thanks for playing.

The 50th anniversary and the 50th season are different.  We can celebrate whatever we want.

1 hour ago, Santa Claus said:

The "missed season," no.  Doesn't count.

The 50th anniversary and the 50th season are different.  We can celebrate whatever we want.

If you agree that '04-'05 doesn't count, how do you end up with '19-'20 being the 50th season?  It's only the 49th.  '70-'71 was 1, which had put the 10th as '79-'80.  20th, & 30th also ended as decades flipped as well ('89-'90 & '99-'00) but courtesy of THE lockout the 40th season wasn't until '10-'11 & the 50th won't occur until '20-'21.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

If you agree that '04-'05 doesn't count, how do you end up with '19-'20 being the 50th season?  It's only the 49th.  '70-'71 was 1, which had put the 10th as '79-'80.  20th, & 30th also ended as decades flipped as well ('89-'90 & '99-'00) but courtesy of THE lockout the 40th season wasn't until '10-'11 & the 50th won't occur until '20-'21.

I agree, but I have been thinking about it, which my wife will tell you very rarely ends well, but even though no games were played maybe the lock-out season should count?  It did exist, but no games were played.  The NHL has a little star there, but still (IIRC) lists as an 'official season'.  Maybe we should only count the other lock-out season as a half season.  Wouldn't that be a riot.  This is season 47.5 for the Sabres.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

Toronto had like seven jerseys for their anniversary season recently.

Yeh but they all looked the same... basically...

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I agree, but I have been thinking about it, which my wife will tell you very rarely ends well, but even though no games were played maybe the lock-out season should count?  It did exist, but no games were played.  The NHL has a little star there, but still (IIRC) lists as an 'official season'.  Maybe we should only count the other lock-out season as a half season.  Wouldn't that be a riot.  This is season 47.5 for the Sabres.

There you go thinking again... heck of rabbits hole you just dragged us down... Thanks.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I smell smoke!

I've also been thinking... Just market it as "Sabres at 50." As GA smartly pointed out, the celebration can start in December of 2019. It can go right through the next two seasons (2019-20 and 2020-21), with the latter accurately being called the 50th season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.