World Juniors

GASabresIUFAN

Canada beats Germany 4-1 to tie the USA at the top of their group. They both have one game vs the Czechs to go.

Cozens with a helper today. He has not stood out but he belongs there. I’ve watched him closely. He takes a lot of key draws and wins his fair share. He plays RW, the lines were mixed up today with Veleno suspension and Lafreniere injury.

Cozens skates very well but has not had many chances to explode up the wing. On PP1 he is the face off guy and then the net front presence. He provided a great screen on one goal and his assist was from winning a draw in the O-zone. He threw a few hits and showed some stick handling skills in tight.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Winner 3-1 USA.  

We lost to Canada, Canada lost to Russia, and Russia lost to us and CZE.  Group of death.

Spenser Knight player of the game.

Looking at the standings, I can't believe Russias only win was a beat down of Canada

it was one of the worst losses by Canada at the Juniors tournament

Putin won't be happy that his team is sitting at the bottom with Germany right now.......

Watched a tremendous game, today.  What an atmosphere with the home town Czechs chanting, drumming and jumping up and down, in unison.  The game was contested and went to overtime.  As a result, the fans were in it, beginning to end.  Czech had a tying goal overturned for goaltender interference.  It was interference, as that penalty’s called today, but oh, what a screaming crowd.   I wish I had an interpreter for the chant that followed.  Vaclav Vrada, the Czech coach, was irate.  I loved ol’ Vaclav as a Sabre.  What irony:  watching him scream in outrage over the goaltender interference call.  “Um, Vaclav .....”.

Just when I started to murmur “what’s all the Cole Caufield hype ...”.

Mattias Samuelsson ... I’m not feeling it.  Good kid, not out of place among the best in the world in his age group, but not a top prospect.   His feet take a while to get moving in different directions,  I don’t think he’s stay at home “style wise”.  I think he’s stay at home “talent wise”.  Example, early third period penalty kill.  He got to a puck, flat footed, in his own corner, slowly rotated without beginning to skate, and sent a wrist-shot clearing attempt up the boards to ...  a speeding Czech who kept the puck in the zone.

I’ve not seen Sweden or Finland.   I think the USA is the strongest Group B team.  That said, the margin over Canada is very narrow.

Penalties will determine who advances out of the Group.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Watched a tremendous game, today.  What an atmosphere with the home town Czechs chanting, drumming and jumping up and down, in unison.  The game was contested and went to overtime.  As a result, the fans were in it, beginning to end.  Czech had a thing goal overturned for goaltender interference.  It was, as that penalty’s called today, but oh, what a screaming crowd.   I wish I had an interpreter for the chant that followed.  Vaclav Vrada, the Czech coach, was irate.  I loved ol’ Vaclav as a Sabre.  What irony:  watching him scream in outrage over the goaltender interference call.  “Um, Vaclav .....”.

Just when I started to murmur “what’s all the Cole Caufield hype ...”.

Mattias Samuelsson ... I’m not feeling it.  Good kid, not out of place among the best in the world in his age group, but not a top prospect.   His feet take a while to get moving in different directions,  I don’t think he’s stay at home “style wise”.  I think he’s stay at home “talent wise”.  Example, early third period penalty kill.  He got to a puck, flat footed, in his own corner, slowly rotated without beginning to skate, and sent a wrist-shot clearing attempt up the boards to ...  a speeding Czech who kept the puck in the zone.

I’ve not seen Sweden or Finland.   I think the USA is the strongest Group B team.  That said, the margin over Canada is very narrow.

Penalties will determine who advances out of the Group.

Didn’t get to watch the game today.  Looked like a great game.  I’d love to see the hosts beat Canada to make the medal round.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Musings while waiting for tomorrow ..

I wrote, above, that penalties and special teams will go a long way in determining who advances out of Group B,   Um, no one advances out of Group Anything.   The WJC cross pairs between A and B this year ...  just like always.   Ooops.   Allow me to amend .. with an AGO ...  taking penalties and special teams looms so very large in this tournament.

Inexplicably, I saw no Group A games.  I can’t wait to see the Swiss.   They play that glorious underdog role in my hockey world.   I recall them advancing a fifteen years ago, or so, by beating nearly everyone 2-1.  They gave a loaded (duh?) Canadian squad a game, losing 3-1 I believe.  Then there’s the team Nino Niederreiter carried on his back.  Which Russian team shows up?  This is my upset special, round one.

The US draws Finland, the defending Champs.  Finland finished behind Sweden (no surprise) and Switzerland (somewhat of a surprise) and ends up paired with second place USA.  I am recalling a Sunday morning, nearly 40 years ago, when American and Finnish amateurs met for a hockey game.  I was a freshman in college the morning after a Saturday night. I crawled to my buddy’s house and sat with three buddies ... the tension!  I also recall Ristolainen’s signature goal.  Love the Finns (ok, I love them all).

HOORAY for the Czechs.   Playoffs at home.   Watch out, Sweden.  An upset here would be special, but I don’t see it.  Sweden is built to produce hockey players with a program designed to do that from age five, on.  As I mentioned earlier, I’ve not yet seen this team.

Canada draws Slovakia, a win with or without Lafrenière.  Go Dylan ..  we’re watching and cheering.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, Neo said:

Musings while waiting for tomorrow ..

I wrote, above, that penalties and special teams will go a long way in determining who advances out of Group B,   Um, no one advances out of Group Anything.   The WJC cross pairs between A and B this year ...  just like always.   Ooops.   Allow me to amend .. with an AGO ...  taking penalties and special teams looms so very large in this tournament.

Inexplicably, I saw no Group A games.  I can’t wait to see the Swiss.   They play that glorious underdog role in my hockey world.   I recall them advancing a fifteen years ago, or so, by beating nearly everyone 2-1.  They gave a loaded (duh?) Canadian squad a game, losing 3-1 I believe.  Then there’s the team Nino Niederreiter carried on his back.  Which Russian team shows up?  This is my upset special, round one.

The US draws Finland, the defending Champs.  Finland finished behind Sweden (no surprise) and Switzerland (somewhat of a surprise) and ends up paired with second place USA.  I am recalling a Sunday morning, nearly 40 years ago, when American and Finnish amateurs met for a hockey game.  I was a freshman in college the morning after a Saturday night. I crawled to my buddy’s house and sat with three buddies ... the tension!  I also recall Ristolainen’s signature goal.  Love the Finns (ok, I love them all).

HOORAY for the Czechs.   Playoffs at home.   Watch out, Sweden.  An upset here would be special, but I don’t see it.  Sweden is built to produce hockey players with a program designed to do that from age five, on.  As I mentioned earlier, I’ve not yet seen this team.

Canada draws Slovakia, a win with or without Lafrenière.  Go Dylan ..  we’re watching and cheering.

Great atmosphere !! 

Walk in the park for Sweden though, score ends 5 - 0 to Sweden. 

Sweden vs Russia, I haven’t seen Sweden play but they seem to have a good D with some young prospects up front. Russia seems like Jekyl and Hyde, destroying Canada but losing to Czechs. I would like Canada to avenge their loss, but they scare me. Go Sweden!

Canada vs Finland, revenge for Canada’s elimination last year. Best word to describe Finnish hockey, pesky.

Well, USA Finland was a chess match.   Props to Finland.  That’s probably how they wanted to play.  I had the game on an iPad at work, but wasn’t glued to the screen.   I watched Sweden Russia today.   Lots of powerplays and some weakish goaltending.  Back and forth and very exciting.   Russia looks better than it has in years, and advances.  They started a goalie, though, who looks a little ... shaky.  Sweden is 52-0 the last thirteen years in Group Play.  That’s unreal.  One Gold Medal.   Hmmmm ....

So, I am full on “love ‘em all”, but GO CANADA!

• Like (+1) 2

Canada - Russia, 3 to 3 with 8 minutes to go.  Canada just tied the score with powerplay goal after the kind of penalty that’d drive you nuts if your team got called.   A forward, on a face off, getting his hands and stick up and driving into the Canadian center at the puck drop.  “No” as the arm comes up.   With that, a lead going into the final minutes is gone.

Great PP goal by  Barrett Hayton (Captain; Arizona Coyotes) and an earlier one from our own Cozens.  Hayton was born in Peterborough and played midget hockey at the Pete’s arena.  I stopped and walked through the arena, once, with my family on a summer holiday.  No one was playing.  Part of the romance of hockey is standing in a building and looking at the ice where ...  

AND Canada takes. 4-3 lead with three minutes to go .... and immediately commits a penalty!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.