World Juniors

GASabresIUFAN

46 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

If any of you have a child playing hockey (or any other sport for that matter) you are probably well aware of just how pathetic parents' attitudes are towards their own kid and anybody else he/she may play against. I have sen parents fighting in the stands at my kid's game  (who was only 7 at the time) ! Complete idiots and complete embarassment to themselves and the poor children but it continues to this day. heck my son is now p;laying in a local church league and it keeps crazy too and people in the stands still yell and put down any other player but whoever they are cheering for.

No big surprise Canadians who are quick to jump on and off the  bandwagon constantly would dump on these young guys who player their hearts out and lost on a bad break (no pun intended but the stick breaking that led to the tying goal for Finland was pretty unfortunate and very unlucky.

Although this sure can happen I don't think this is unique to Canada or to hockey in general.  I've been to see nephews play soccer and baseball and it's similar.  I can't say for certain but I imagine football in the southern states also have these issues.

I should mention that both of my boys started hockey over the past couple of years and parents are now required to take an online seminar on how to behave.  They talk about everything from how the referees are usually young teenagers trying to earn money to coaches being volunteers and this isnt the Stanley cup playoffs.  This is a requirement.  The kids cannot take the ice until the parents have completed the seminars.  Additionally every arena in our city has the same sign on the door saying 'this is not the Stanley cup playoffs and the game is for FUN.'

I'm not doubting this is still a problem but hockey Canada does seem to be trying to address the issue.  Also, I just don't want this to be painted as all Canadians as I've been to many minor league games without any incidence.  It is disgusting though that some parents do these types of things.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone know:

- how Samuelsson has been playing for the US?

- where to find box scores for these games?  I'm curious as to how much ice time Sammy and Laaksi have been getting and haven't been able to find them anywhere.

I didn't notice Samuelsson at all yesterday, which is exactly what I want from a stay-at-home defenseman.

5 hours ago, Derrico said:

He is, without question, my favourite Sabres prospect.  Mainly because so many collective heads exploded when he was made the Sabres third round selection. 

He's basically been my favorite too since we picked him and for the same reason.  The collective meltdown here when we went off the board and picked a guy that Google was telling us was like 5'9" and 140 pounds instantly had me rooting for him.  I want him to succeed for the same reason I want Josh Allen to - not just for Buffalo but to prove people wrong.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone know:

- where to find box scores for these games?  I'm curious as to how much ice time Sammy and Laaksi have been getting and haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Check out TSN.ca.  Under World Juniors, go to Schedule and then click the "Game Page" for each game.  They basically have the box score for each game, although TOI is only there for the goalies. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone know:

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/wm20/schedule

Click on any game and then on the statistics tab.  I can't actually see the whole table, but when I copied it into Excel or printed to a PDF, it did show TOI.

Samuelsson had 17:25 in the last game against Russia, which was 4th for defensemen.  Against the Czechs, he had 19:48, which was 3rd for defensemen.

Lassksonen had 22:44 against Switzerland, the most on the team.  Against Canada, he had 21:58, which was 4th on the team (Jokiharju/Vaakanainen had over 29 minutes.)

Tonight's game:

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/wm20/gamecenter/playbyplay/4175/31-w27-vs-w28

(Edit: because I didn't read the whole question.)

Edited by carpandean

15 minutes ago, carpandean said:

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/wm20/schedule

Click on any game and then on the statistics tab.  I can't actually see the whole table, but when I copied it into Excel, it does show TOI.

Tonight's game:

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/wm20/gamecenter/playbyplay/4175/31-w27-vs-w28

(Edit: because I didn't read the whole question.)

Awesome.  Thanks.  

So Laaksy led his team in ice time in Finland’s blowout win the other night and was 3rd among the D in the prior game, which was their epic win vs Canada.  Sammy was 4th among the D in ice time for the US the other night vs Switzerland and 3rd among the D in their prior game.  

Not bad a-tall.  

38 minutes ago, Neo said:

I don’t understand that goal being waived off ...  it’d be great to get an explanation.   

Saw this on twitter....

Per IIHF rules - player can't be in the crease. As long as opponent is in the goalies zone (Blue zone) play has to be blown dead. Didn't happen but ref waived it off. Correct call.

Now, I’m no expert, but I read “can’t set up or post stick” in the crease.  I’m admittedly a homer.

There are regularly IIHF goals where a skate is going through the crease or in the crease.

I’m sure you’re right as judgment is applied.  Thanks ..

Rule 534 – Interference – If an attacking player deliberately stands in the goal crease, without interfering with the goalkeeper, the referee shall stop the play and the ensuing face-off shall take place at the nearest face-off spot in the neutral zone.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:37 PM, Taro T said:

Then, really confused about your complaint.  And, pretty sure you meant to say "and was the only reason they were only down by 1 with less than a minute to go."

Oh I think I get the confusion. By "we" I didn't mean Canada, I meant the Sabres. I wish the Sabres had more promising goalies in their system. 

59 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh I think I get the confusion. By "we" I didn't mean Canada, I meant the Sabres. I wish the Sabres had more promising goalies in their system. 

Which is why I am confused.  The Gold Medal winning goalie who was Finland's #1 each of the last 2 years is a Sabres property.  

Let's hope a Finn & Swede (or 2) Rasmi can get along along with a Finn & Swede goalie because that  is the Sabres future.

• Like (+1) 1

UPL was good, not great, still needs 4-5 years of development, but you need guys like that in your pipeline.  I'd say they should look at goaltender again this draft, every 2-3 years take a flyer in the middle rounds.

On 1/5/2019 at 9:00 PM, Taro T said:

Which is why I am confused.  The Gold Medal winning goalie who was Finland's #1 each of the last 2 years is a Sabres property.  

Let's hope a Finn & Swede (or 2) Rasmi can get along along with a Finn & Swede goalie because that  is the Sabres future.

Yes, that's one, but the only one. imo you can't have too many young goalies in the system. Personally I would draft one (almost) every year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.