Replacement Center

GASabresIUFAN

Berglund is gone.

The Sabres are only 4-4-2 in their last 10.  This is the worst mark of any of the contenders in the East over that stretch.  The teams chasing us in the Atlantic, Bos and Mon, are 6-4 and 7-3.

On the positive we only gave up 28, but lost 2 games in blow outs to two of worst teams in the East in Fla and Phily. Also our defense is now healthy again.  Pilut is now part of the top 6.  Honestly, I’m not sure any team is as deep on the blueline as we are.

However, we have only scored 24 goals during this period.  Of the 24 goals, Eichel was on the ice for 20 of them.  The 4th line generated 3 goals, and Mitts had one.  We won’t survive this way, despite our excellent defense.  We’ll remain in games and each night will be close, however we need more secondary scoring and IMHO Jbot needs to address it ASAP.

So will Jbot make a move at all? If so, when?  If so, who?  Are there any internal solutions? How much will a deal cost? Do you want a pending RFA/UFA, or someone with time left on their deal?  Also what skill set are u looking for?  I’m want play making and a good FO%.

Personally, I think Jbot will not wait until near the deadline to address this problem.  My guess is he actually makes a move in he next 2-3 weeks after the Xmas break and before the All-star break.

We have discussed guys like Johansson, Carter, and Anisimov. Other suggestions?  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Berglund is gone.

The Sabres are only 4-4-2 in their last 10.  This is the worst mark of any of the contenders in the East over that stretch.  The teams chasing us in the Atlantic, Bos and Mon, are 6-4 and 7-3.

On the positive we only gave up 28, but lost 2 games in blow outs to two of worst teams in the East in Fla and Phily. Also our defense is now healthy again.  Pilut is now part of the top 6.  Honestly, I’m not sure any team is as deep on the blueline as we are.

However, we have only scored 24 goals during this period.  Of the 24 goals, Eichel was on the ice for 20 of them.  The 4th line generated 3 goals, and Mitts had one.  We won’t survive this way, despite our excellent defense.  We’ll remain in games and each night will be close, however we need more secondary scoring and IMHO Jbot needs to address it ASAP.

So will Jbot make a move at all? If so, when?  If so, who?  Are there any internal solutions? How much will a deal cost? Do you want a pending RFA/UFA, or someone with time left on their deal?  Also what skill set are u looking for?  I’m want play making and a good FO%.

Personally, I think Jbot will not wait until near the deadline to address this problem.  My guess is he actually makes a move in he next 2-3 weeks after the Xmas break and before the All-star break.

Schenn was also mentioned along with Tarasenko.

Cj Smith was an internal idea.

My question is ...is this necessary or can we just get or promote some better wingers for Casey? Olafsson?trade?

Also, Asplund couldn't be much worse than Bergy was.

Just a few I thought of as well as the few you mentioned with some basic info; I would attempt to unload Sobotka in deals for these guys as well.

(CHI) Anisimov  3x4.55mil  7g 10a in 34 games    30 yr old

(WPG) Perreault  3x4.125mil 8g 7a in 36 games     30 yr old

(STL) Bozak   3x5mil   5g 10a in 34 games   32 yr old

(NJD) Johansson  1x4.538mil  6g 9a in 31 games  28 yr old

(LAK) Carter  4x5.272mil  6g 9a in 36 games  33 yr old

(VAN) Sutter  3x4.375mil  3g 1a in 13 games  29 yr old

(OTT) Pageau 2x3.1mil  No statistics due to Achilles injury, out until March   26 yr old

(OTT)  Tierney 2x2.937mil 4g 18a in 37 games  24 yr old

(FLA) Bjugstad  3x4.1mil  4g 6a in 27 games 26 yr old

I think you would have to look into the buy low / change of scenery candidates.    2nd rounder + prospect type of guys.

(WSH) Burakovsky  3 mill  RFA after this year.  ( not really buy low I think, but has been a healthy scratch numerous times this season).

(CGY)  Bennett  1.950 mill RFA after this year ( 3rd liner in CGY, but might be a good winger for Mittelstadt)

(EDM) Puljujarvi 0.950 RFA after this year ( reclamation project, might not be worth it)

(MIN) Coyle  3.2 mill UFA in 2 years   ( currently 3rd line center but can play RW to, been going down hill last two years in minny as a center)

Edit, I know besides Coyle these aren't centers, but I'm looking more into getting Mittelstadt a decent winger.

Edited by Huckleberry

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Berglund is gone.

There were three centers on his line to begin with.  Any good shutdown forward will fit in just fine.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I think you would have to look into the buy low / change of scenery candidates.    2nd rounder + prospect type of guys.

(WSH) Burakovsky  3 mill  RFA after this year.  ( not really buy low I think, but has been a healthy scratch numerous times this season).

(CGY)  Bennett  1.950 mill RFA after this year ( 3rd liner in CGY, but might be a good winger for Mittelstadt)

(EDM) Puljujarvi 0.950 RFA after this year ( reclamation project, might not be worth it)

(MIN) Coyle  3.2 mill UFA in 2 years   ( currently 3rd line center but can play RW to, been going down hill last two years in minny as a center)

Edit, I know besides Coyle these aren't centers, but I'm looking more into getting Mittelstadt a decent winger.

I understand wanting to get Mitts a decent winger, but I think the bigger concern is getting Mitts easier matchups as the 3rd line center.  If we have 2 top lines that can score, the teams will have to load up defensively against them and basically leave Mitts and Larsson to expose their lack of depth.  Right now they only focus on stopping Jack.  Stop Jack, you beat the Sabres.  

Also between Tage, Sheary, KO, Erod, Pommers and Wilson (when he returns) we have people can can be effecfive on an NHL wing, plus prospects like Olofsson Smith and Nylander.  To make them work they need a real experienced center.  Mitts ain’t there yet.

Actually since we lost veteran Berglund, what about Eric Staal. Last year of his contract.  Over 50% in faceoffs.  Can still skate and score.  Has a Cup. Wouldn’t cost much to acquire and is probably available.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

In order to spread the scoring is it an idea to put Thompson on eichels right? Would imagine this would not be popular bit just a thought. Definitely up for bringing in a 2nd center and letting Casey loose on easier match ups. 

Something like this

Skinner-jack-thompson

Sheary-new center-reinhart

CJ-mitts-okposo

Erod-larsson-girgensons

Press box - pommer and Vlad. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

It would take a few pieces but Edmonton is always looking for help on D. Nugent Hopkins is playing LW with McJesus at the moment with Draisaitl as 2C. Guhle is an Alberta boy and could be a part of it.

RNH is a solid 2C.

RNH, Garrison, Kassian

for

Scandella, Sobotka, Guhle, and SJS's 1st

Effectively we send them an NHL Dman, a prospect Dman from Alberta, an NHL player/cap dump and a 1st 

for

A 2C, a roster spot dump and a cap dump

It is becoming more and more clear that if we want to be a contender we need a centre that can boost Tage Kyle and Connor because Casey and Vlad ain’t getting it done.

The question at hand is whether we can boost now without hurting our actual window of contention. Because a lot of these proposals are going to cost more than we might want to give up. If Jack, Sam, Jeff, Casey and the Rasmii are off limits, then so are a lot of the more attractive returns, particularly if you are in the camp where the 1st rounders are also not for sale.

7 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Schenn was also mentioned along with Tarasenko.

Cj Smith was an internal idea.

My question is ...is this necessary or can we just get or promote some better wingers for Casey? Olafsson?trade?

Also, Asplund couldn't be much worse than Bergy was.

6 hours ago, Sabre1974 said:

I'm not sure what Botts will do. Will it just be call ups from Rochester??  Time will tell. 

We are going to get a look at Alex and Viktor and maybe others before we make a move, if only to showcase those guys as trade bait.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

It would take a few pieces but Edmonton is always looking for help on D. Nugent Hopkins is playing LW with McJesus at the moment with Draisaitl as 2C. Guhle is an Alberta boy and could be a part of it.

RNH is a solid 2C.

RNH isn’t going anywhere without a significant price. He’s still pretty young and their third-best forward - roughly equivalent to Reinhart. Trading him puts a big hole in their lineup, so they’d be needing a significant upgrade elsewhere in return. Guhle and lesser parts. Won’t get it done. On the other hand, Guhle is one of the pieces most likely to be moved given his skill set and our sudden depth in left D. He has value; every team wants a young defenceman who can skate.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The Blues need defense.  Ship a defensemen and a draft pick for Schenn 

30 games. 7g 15a 

Schenn is good fit. It’s hard to get a good read on what the Blues will do. I suspect Armstrong thinks more highly of his team than the standings would suggest. I doubt blowing it up for futures is his first choice. But if they took that route, they got Schenn for what turned out to be pick 14 and pick 27 in the draft. His value hasn’t declined. The Sabres have the ammunition to pay that price. He has two years left on his contract and is 27.

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Sean Couturier--3 more years @$4.3M...32GP/14g/26pts...26yrs old

Absolutely a perfect fit because he is young enough to be part of our future and easily slides into tough matchups and would allow Casey freedom to shine. I can’t see any world where he would be a available. Who trades a shutdown centre coming off a 70-point season? I mean besides Jason Botterill?

He’s 26 and his cap hit of $4.3 over three more years after this one is one of the best cap hits in the league. If, for some reason, Fletcher decides he needs to trade him, the price should be higher than what we got for ROR.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually since we lost veteran Berglund, what about Eric Staal. Last year of his contract.  Over 50% in faceoffs.  Can still skate and score.  Has a Cup. Wouldn’t cost much to acquire and is probably available.  

Minnesota is dropping like a stone and has a new GM, so this is definitely a guy that should become available, if he isn’t already. He’s also a good fit for us contract-wise. The question is, do we want a pure rental?

You could probably have him for Guhle, or any other second-round equivalent.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sabre1974 said:

In order to spread the scoring is it an idea to put Thompson on eichels right? Would imagine this would not be popular bit just a thought. Definitely up for bringing in a 2nd center and letting Casey loose on easier match ups. 

Something like this

Skinner-jack-thompson

Sheary-new center-reinhart

CJ-mitts-okposo

Erod-larsson-girgensons

Press box - pommer and Vlad. 

Not a bad idea, but no one wants the #1 line tinkered with at all right now.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:It is becoming more and more clear that if we want to be a contender we need a centre that can boost Tage Kyle and Connor because Casey and Vlad ain’t getting it done.

The question at hand is whether we can boost now without hurting our actual window of contention. Because a lot of these proposals are going to cost more than we might want to give up. If Jack, Sam, Jeff, Casey and the Rasmii are off limits, then so are a lot of the more attractive returns, particularly if you are in the camp where the 1st rounders are also not for sale.

We are going to get a look at Alex and Viktor and maybe others before we make a move, if only to showcase those guys as trade bait.

RNH isn’t going anywhere without a significant price. He’s still pretty young and their third-best forward - roughly equivalent to Reinhart. Trading him puts a big hole in their lineup, so they’d be needing a significant upgrade elsewhere in return. Guhle and lesser parts. Won’t get it done. On the other hand, Guhle is one of the pieces most likely to be moved given his skill set and our sudden depth in left D. He has value; every team wants a young defenceman who can skate.

Schenn is good fit. It’s hard to get a good read on what the Blues will do. I suspect Armstrong thinks more highly of his team than the standings would suggest. I doubt blowing it up for futures is his first choice. But if they took that route, they got Schenn for what turned out to be pick 14 and pick 27 in the draft. His value hasn’t declined. The Sabres have the ammunition to pay that price. He has two years left on his contract and is 27.

Absolutely a perfect fit because he is young enough to be part of our future and easily slides into tough matchups and would allow Casey freedom to shine. I can’t see any world where he would be a available. Who trades a shutdown centre coming off a 70-point season? I mean besides Jason Botterill?

He’s 26 and his cap hit of $4.3 over three more years after this one is one of the best cap hits in the league. If, for some reason, Fletcher decides he needs to trade him, the price should be higher than what we got for ROR.

Minnesota is dropping like a stone and has a new GM, so this is definitely a guy that should become available, if he isn’t already. He’s also a good fit for us contract-wise. The question is, do we want a pure rental?

You could probably have him for Guhle, or any other second-round equivalent.

The beauty of getting Staal is that he can probably be had for a 2nd rd pick in 2020 or a mid level prospect. Also he can be a bridge for a year or two if he proves effective.  At his age, a 1 year renewal will probably work it he has some success here.  This is a low risk high reward opportunity.  Johansson, also on an expiring contract, might come for a little bit more and isn’t as good in the face off circle, but is much younger and could have a longer shelf life if acquired.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Haven’t their fans seen enough trades with us?  

They love O’Rielly and they don’t miss Berglund or Sobotka, but if Tage develops and we get a lottery pick (they could be a lottery team this year and next) they might change their tune. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.