GDT - Ducks @ Sabres - December 22, 2018 - 7:00 PM - MSG-B; FS-W

Sabres Fan in NS

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

There is a difference. Good thing I never reference color (nor did Eleven). So not really sure what this is about. I’ve never heard Hamilton do color.

I also like this way of handling something. I make a comment. Eleven gets fussy over a word that he didn’t know and calls me out with a personal remark. I respond telling him the original context was correct and post a link proving as much. You give ME snark for the whole thing.

This place is a nightmare at times.

All this nonsense aside, do you really not like Paul's PBP? I thought he was surprisingly good.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

My eyes can keep up in slow motion.  Now it works just fine.

If I'm JBOT I am handing Skinny a blank piece of paper and asking him to write down a single digit number and then a double digit number.  Then I would ask for it back and then sign it.  Hand it to Jeff and have him sign.  I'd worry about all the details after the Holidays.  Really.  I would do that.

And, who is the jackass #14 Duck that gives him a shot to the back / head (?) after the fact?

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

on the backhand no less Crosbyesque from that angle

I have a feeling that soon, other teams will talk about their players doing things that are Skinneresque, Eichelesque an Dahlinesque soon.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Still doesn't make sense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner being a pest last night was really fun. And when Getzlaf grabbed eichel and jack just laughed in his face, that was awesome. 

It sure didn't look that way to me -- more like Getzlaf was telling him exactly what the deal was and Eichel wanted no part of it (which is totally fine, of course, as Getzlaf is much bigger).

Separately -- my game notes:

- Ullmark was outstanding.  I am nowhere near concluding that he's the next #1, but he is definitely keeping the competitive pressure on Hutton, which is great for the Sabres.

- Skinner's goal was an elite goal-scorer's goal.  The feint to the middle to get Gibson (a very good goalie) off the post, and then going high backhand on the short side?  Awesome.

- Skinner also had his agitator A-game going last night.

- I can see PA's point that some kind of announcement about RJ would've been nice, but I can also understand the decision not to say anything until they had further info.

- The D group, top to bottom, was excellent.  McCabe had a couple of shaky passes early on but then seemed to find his timing and played very well.

- In the 3rd period, when it was 1-0 and the Sabres were killing those penalties, it occurred to me that Bogo, McCabe, Larsson and Zemgus are the guys you call when you have a problem.  You don't want to abuse the privilege, but when your car breaks down in a blizzard in the middle of the night, they'll come for you.  Solid as a freaking rock.

- I think I kinda like Tommer on the checking line with Zemgus and Larry.  Those 2 are so good on the forecheck, and keeping the puck in the O-zone, that it inevitably creates more opportunities for Tommer than he gets when he's with one of the other lines.  And he's pretty good on the forecheck too.

- It's kinda counter-intuitive because they aren't great defenders, but Howie clearly likes having Eichel's line out whenever there's a potential ENG situation.  And Reino made another very nice play last night to create the ENG.

- It's getting harder and harder to see Pilut getting sent back down.  He looks terrific and clearly better than Beaulieu, Nelson and Hunwick.

- Ladies and gents:  the Sabres are tied for #4 in the entire GD NHL at the xmas break.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

And, who is the jackass #14 Duck that gives him a shot to the back / head (?) after the fact?

Henrique.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

- Skinner's goal was an elite goal-scorer's goal.  The feint to the middle to get Gibson (a very good goalie) off the post, and then going high backhand on the short side?  Awesome.

I don't think it was a feint.  I think he was actually going to middle until Henrique forced the issue and he just went with what was there.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

- I think I kinda like Tommer on the checking line with Zemgus and Larry.  Those 2 are so good on the forecheck, and keeping the puck in the O-zone, that it inevitably creates more opportunities for Tommer than he gets when he's with one of the other lines.  And he's pretty good on the forecheck too.

Yes, and he also has the condor's reach to break up rushes the other way.

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

- It's getting harder and harder to see Pilut getting sent back down.  He looks terrific and clearly better than Beaulieu, Nelson and Hunwick.

I still think it's a contract thing.  When D gets healthy he gets sent down because he doesn't have to clear waivers.

I think Reino and Jack are out sometimes there protecting a late late lead because they are becoming pretty good defenders.

Okposo, Skinner, Casey, Elie,  Beaulieu and Tage are never out there in those situations. Rodrigues and Sheary and Dahlin and Pilut rarely are, Sheary’s goal last night notwithstanding.

I think that tells you who the coach trusts.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Tage Thompson needs to watch every single full game video of Dave Andreychuk's career until he has every second memorized.

And he needs to be roommates with the actual Dave Andreychuk for the entire season.

Tage reminds me more of a taller Ray Sheppard.  Hopefully, he will develop the same scoring touch as Ray.

• Like (+1) 2

Had a great time at the game. We had no idea RJ was taken out. He was throwing out stuff to fans earlier and that made us laugh at the time. 

Sabres team defense is just getting so solid. Larry just looks like a killer out there, no wonder other teams hate him. 

I loved how Phil gave the second team pp the first crack that one time and then the first team got it together and scored. 

It was a big big happy crowd, I'll tell ya. Everyone was rocking when they scored. They tried getting the wave going a few times but it was a no go. But all the people around me were jabbering about Skinners contract,  Berglunds  situation and the Canadian health care system, of all things, lol. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think Reino and Jack are out sometimes there protecting a late late lead because they are becoming pretty good defenders.

Okposo, Skinner, Casey, Elie,  Beaulieu and Tage are never out there in those situations. Rodrigues and Sheary and Dahlin and Pilut rarely are, Sheary’s goal last night notwithstanding.

I think that tells you who the coach trusts.

Was last night about getting Sheary off the schneid?

46 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I loved how Phil gave the second team pp the first crack that one time and then the first team got it together and scored.

This seems to be happening more and more. I thought it was happening when the Eichel line had been out right before the PP, but now I dunno. Is it analytics at work? Are more goals scored in the second minute of a PP?

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

There is a difference. Good thing I never reference color (nor did Eleven). So not really sure what this is about. I’ve never heard Hamilton do color.

I also like this way of handling something. I make a comment. Eleven gets fussy over a word that he didn’t know and calls me out with a personal remark. I respond telling him the original context was correct and post a link proving as much. You give ME snark for the whole thing.

This place is a nightmare at times.

I'm pretty sure I know all the words used during that conversation.

And there were no personal remarks.  If you want to position yourself as someone with special knowledge because of what you do for a living, which you do, then expect to be called out when you say something silly, which you did.

5 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I noticed that too — that 2nd unit did pretty well — better than the top unit had been doing.  I thought it might’ve been Howie sending a message to the top unit.  I was hoping he would keep doing that but he went back to the regular rotation.  

• SDS unpinned this topic

Was in town to visit family, so my son and I went to the game for the first time in a few years. Sat in the very last row at the top. The sight lines were fine, but at 6’3” the legroom is terrible. Fortunately being in the last row I could stand for times during play. I don’t know how, but they need to address it with the next renovation. I couldn’t justify paying $8 for a slice of pizza. And the tv timeouts every 5 minutes of game time really kills the momentum, even in this game that didn't have alot of flow. But seeing a win was fun.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.