GDT - Ducks @ Sabres - December 22, 2018 - 7:00 PM - MSG-B; FS-W

Sabres Fan in NS

49 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I agree with the depth argument, but it will be at the detriment of the development of Pilut and maybe to the detriment of the team.  JBOT should run the team as a meritocracy.  Pilut is just better than Nelson and Beaulieu and Hunwick.

You can't escape the fact that hockey is also a business.  Along with fielding the best team, you also have to navigate the business side of the house to be successful.  And while I think he *will be* better than Beaulieu over his career, Beaulieu has been playing well and has more experience and is someone JBot will want to keep around for playoff depth if nothing else.

If I've learned nothing else from Sabrespace, it's that the business side of managing a team is every bit as important as assembling the best talent.

34 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Just watched the replay of Skinner's goal.  His backhand was almost from the goal line.  That guy is a magician with the puck in tight.

To me it's a very unsatisfying goal to watch because my mind simply can't accept that it was even possible.

• Haha (+1) 2

Despite not scoring tonight, I think Housley needs to tell Tage Thompson to keep up the shoot early, shoot often philosophy.  It plays to his biggest strength and if nothing else he will learn how to do it at NHL tempo.  He almost had one tonight (the one that went off the post and into Gibson).  I would also like to see him on the first power play unit just to see how he could do with Jack and the Rasmii feeding him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

No, it isn't.

Just because you associate "commentary" and "commentator" with color guys doesn't mean it's right. Commentary is absolutely applicable to play-by-play.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/mcdonough_sean/

Sean McDonough, who works for ESPN, has "Play-by-Play Commentator" as his official job title and I found that simply by searching the very first play-by-play guy for ESPN I could think of. Go ahead. Die on the hill and take personal swings when you're out of bounds.

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Despite not scoring tonight, I think Housley needs to tell Tage Thompson to keep up the shoot early, shoot often philosophy.  It plays to his biggest strength and if nothing else he will learn how to do it at NHL tempo.  He almost had one tonight (the one that went off the post and into Gibson).  I would also like to see him on the first power play unit just to see how he could do with Jack and the Rasmii feeding him.

Tage Thompson needs to watch every single full game video of Dave Andreychuk's career until he has every second memorized.

And he needs to be roommates with the actual Dave Andreychuk for the entire season.

• Like (+1) 3

I think the ducks were the dirtiest team we played this year,  A lot of hitting, crosschecking , pushing when the whistle was blown.

Next few games is an important stretch though,  teams that would be great to get some distance on.   January seems to be an away month for this team.

@Blues

Bruins

Islanders

Panthers

@Bruins

What a game!  That goal by Skinner... OMG.  I was in disbelief when I saw it live.  What an absolute beaut.  We need to sign this kid to a long term contract ASAP.  

Dahl’s had a nice bounce back game.  I’m happy to see him get a goal.  It was a very nice shot.

McCabe really solidifies our D corp.  He’s having a great year when in the line-up.

Eichel continues to pile up the points as does Sam.  Sam is quietly having a beast of a year.  I’m happy for him.

If Hutts continues his funk (i.e. poor puck handling decisions), Linus should get more starts.  He is the most capable backup we’ve had in years.

happy holidays everyone.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

Just because you associate "commentary" and "commentator" with color guys doesn't mean it's right. Commentary is absolutely applicable to play-by-play.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/mcdonough_sean/

Sean McDonough, who works for ESPN, has "Play-by-Play Commentator" as his official job title and I found that simply by searching the very first play-by-play guy for ESPN I could think of. Go ahead. Die on the hill and take personal swings when you're out of bounds.

Great. You've won the semantics pissing contest. But you know that there is a difference between a Plab-by-Play guy and a Color guy. From what I've heard, Hamilton is a pretty darn good PBP guy. On him being a Color guy,… not so much.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Great. You've won the semantics pissing contest. But you know that there is a difference between a Plab-by-Play guy and a Color guy. From what I've heard, Hamilton is a pretty darn good PBP guy. On him being a Color guy,… not so much.

Paul's never been a color guy. Words matter. They're all commentators. They're all having sex with the hen.

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Paul's never been a color guy. Words matter. They're all commentators. They're all having sex with the hen.

"Something's missing, all right..."

(By the way, it was the rooster.)

Edited by Eleven

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner being a pest last night was really fun. And when Getzlaf grabbed eichel and jack just laughed in his face, that was awesome. 

This year it seems that the Sabres understand the instigator role, and how to be the instigator instead of the instigatee.

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

They're all having sex with the hen.

No idea what that means and not sure I ever want to.

10 hours ago, Tondas said:

Just watched the replay of Skinner's goal.  His backhand was almost from the goal line.  That guy is a magician with the puck in tight.

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

To me it's a very unsatisfying goal to watch because my mind simply can't accept that it was even possible.

My eyes can keep up in slow motion.  Now it works just fine.

Interesting flow to that goal:  Skinner at first appears poised to bring it across the front of the net; Gibson is starting to bite.  Henrique forces Skinner low, but just before going behind the nets has the presence of mind to tuck it on the short side that Gibson has just leaned away from.  In short, Henrique and Gibson were out of sync and Skinner took advantage.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

There is a difference. Good thing I never reference color (nor did Eleven). So not really sure what this is about. I’ve never heard Hamilton do color.

I also like this way of handling something. I make a comment. Eleven gets fussy over a word that he didn’t know and calls me out with a personal remark. I respond telling him the original context was correct and post a link proving as much. You give ME snark for the whole thing.

This place is a nightmare at times.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.