GDT - Sabres @ Washington - December 21, 2018 - 7:00 PM NBCSN

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Mittelstadt has been playing a heavier game recently and I think the team is about to see his development pay off

I am not sure that's not just a little too many Tim Hortons Doughnuts because I still don't see him playing fast, thinking or executing on the ice.

And i also hear a lot of people talking about execution on the ice of 2nd and 3rd lines and my response to that is "the way they have been playing I'm all in favor of it".   

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, All Along The Watchtower said:

In Old Town Alexandria, about a mile from Metro, there's Bugsy's, owned by former NHLer Brian Watson.  Haven't been there in several years, but it's a good hockey bar.

http://www.bugsyspizza.com/ 

I got down to Potomac Yard last time I was there... I will try going further south next time.  I'm getting comfortable with the Metro at this point.  If I go there to watch the Sabres play, I might post up for anyone who wants to meet me there.

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I got down to Potomac Yard last time I was there... I will try going further south next time.  I'm getting comfortable with the Metro at this point.  If I go there to watch the Sabres play, I might post up for anyone who wants to meet me there.

Just a disclaimer about watching games in Washington as a fan of the other team. I lived there for three years 08-11, when the Caps were pretty much destroying everyone they played (except for the Pens)

i went to four games while i lived there, Sabres twice and the Pens twice (i married a Pens fan) literally all four games were miserable being around Caps fans. i thought maybe the first game was an isolated experience (wore a Malkin jersey) but nope, was miserble with my Sabres swag on as well. I realize that it has been a long time now, but, i will never go to Washington for a game again.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Well I can see that actually.  That's just the fans doing their job.  Also consider the Pens are to the Caps what the Leafs are to the Sabres in terms of rivalry. 

Sort of....the Caps are 2-9 vs. the Penguins in the playoffs, while the Sabres are 1-0 vs. the Leaves. Since I judge the strength of a rivalry mostly on the playoff matchups, a better comparison at the moment for me would be Buffalo vs. the Bruins, against whom we're 2-6 in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

Sort of....the Caps are 2-9 vs. the Penguins in the playoffs, while the Sabres are 1-0 vs. the Leaves. Since I judge the strength of a rivalry mostly on the playoff matchups, a better comparison at the moment for me would be Buffalo vs. the Bruins, against whom we're 2-6 in the playoffs.

We made the playoffs? When was this? LOL

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Looks like I will watch this one... despite it being NBCSN... sigh.

2 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

NBCSN game?  Great, you all get to suffer through Craig Laughlin with me this evening... 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Nothing like having the NBCSN crew make love to the other team while everything the Sabres do well is luck or just an unfortunate bounce. 

I do like that the Sabres are getting a national game but my god do I hate NBCSN. They are so bad and their app on my AppleTV sucks and freezes fairly often. O well I’ll still enjoy the game. 

My least favorite part of the Sabres on national TV — and full disclosure 38.5% of this is pure paranoia — is how the other team scores and the announcer's throat is in tatters, and the Sabres score and it's only a little more than Verne Lundquist announcing a tap-in at the Masters. You all know it's true! Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Remember Gary Thorne? Classic example.

I'm not really sure why it is, to be honest. It could be large market-catering (but then you have the traditionally high TV ratings in Buffalo). It could be better team-catering, like tonight. All I know is it's maddening. (And then there are the times, not infrequent, when a Sabres goal interrupts Emrick and boys making idle chit chat. "I find that horseradish at that joint sure clears out my sinuses 1-0 Buffalo!")

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

My least favorite part of the Sabres on national TV — and full disclosure 38.5% of this is pure paranoia — is how the other team scores and the announcer's throat is in tatters, and the Sabres score and it's only a little more than Verne Lundquist announcing a tap-in at the Masters. You all know it's true! Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Well they often use one team's crew or the other and for whatever reason they don't seem to like RJ.  So yeah, he gets excited because even though it's a national telecast, the announcer is still affiliated with one of the teams.

And Gary Thorne never seemed to get too excited about anything.

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Isn't RJ on the radio?

Turn down the TV volume and pump up the radio / satellite volumn.

I wish I could.  Your from Canada as well.  How do you get wgr550?  I use to stream it from the website no problem but now that they've gone to the damn radio.com App I can't download it as it's unavailable in Canada.  

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I wish I could.  Your from Canada as well.  How do you get wgr550?  I use to stream it from the website no problem but now that they've gone to the damn radio.com App I can't download it as it's unavailable in Canada.  

I'm listening to wgr on radio.com on my laptop right now.  It's not the 'mobile' app though, it's right threw the radio.com website.

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Well they often use one team's crew or the other and for whatever reason they don't seem to like RJ.  So yeah, he gets excited because even though it's a national telecast, the announcer is still affiliated with one of the teams.

And Gary Thorne never seemed to get too excited about anything.

He had a very distinctive, exuberant goal call that we never heard when the Sabres scored.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ah, I didn't know that.

Apparently, there's an Eichel scrum interview where he lit up a bit and said he *really* wanted to notch a few points for his mom. The moms are in Washington tonight and again at home ... whenever the team plays next. Hamilton related this on WGR.

C'mon. Eichel with 6 points over the next 2 games. WHO SAYS NO?!

2 hours ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

I judge the strength of a rivalry mostly on the playoff matchups

That's one way to do it.  In this case since I'm talking about fan interaction, I think animosity between fan bases would be more relevant.  And with Sabres/Leaves, familiarity breeds contempt.

Edited by Doohickie

4 hours ago, All Along The Watchtower said:

In Old Town Alexandria, about a mile from Metro, there's Bugsy's, owned by former NHLer Brian Watson.  Haven't been there in several years, but it's a good hockey bar.

http://www.bugsyspizza.com/ 

Is that the old Fish Market down by the water on King Street... met Watson and his broken nose there a few times.  Use to know the manager big George.  Brian was always really a nice guy soft spoken.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.