Berglund on Waivers with Purpose to Terminate His Contract

Brawndo

Just now, woods-racer said:

I don't doubt this, but, I believe the majority of our protentional centers that we will be looking at are other teams cap dumps. We just aren't going to see anything that is much better than Berglund, so we are not wining on the trade to ST. Louis any more today than we where 4 months ago is my only point.

In hindsight, if STL knew they were going to be a bottom 10 team, there is no way in hell they include a 1st round pick.... let alone make a deal for ROR who was supposed to take them to the next level.    Little did they know that next level was the basement.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

He was traded for a 2 year cap dump (Sobotka), a 1/2 year (though expected 4 year) cap dump (Berglund) who was expected to be useful for a year or 2 (ooops) before becoming a pumpkin, an NHL-ish ready prospect (Thompson), a late 1st this year (that may become a very early 1st next year), a 2nd, & a reshuffling of a dysfunctional dressing room's leadership.

It was a bad trade and is still a bad trade with the net results of today was my only point of all this. 

Just now, pi2000 said:

In hindsight, if STL knew they were going to be a bottom 10 team, there is no way in hell they include a 1st round pick.... let alone make a deal for ROR who was supposed to take them to the next level.    Little did they know that next level was the basement.

Is it 2019 pick no matter what?

or 

Is it conditional?

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

I don't doubt this, but, I believe the majority of our protentional centers that we will be looking at are other teams cap dumps. We just aren't going to see anything that is much better than Berglund, so we are not wining on the trade to ST. Louis any more today than we where 4 months ago is my only point.

I’m not sure we are defining winning the same way.  I’m happy with the extra cap space and getting ROR’s bad attitude off the team.  It may be coincidence, but ROR is gone and we’ve become a good team, while ROR’s new team, which has a ton of talent, is back at the bottom of the standings.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m not sure we are defining winning the same way.  I’m happy with the extra cap space and getting ROR’s bad attitude off the team.  It may be coincidence, but ROR is gone and we’ve become a good team, while ROR’s new team, which has a ton of talent, is back at the bottom of the standings.

We're not.

I'm just hoping JBots doesn't need this much luck from the hockey gods to win(?) any more trades.

15 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It was a bad trade and is still a bad trade with the net results of today was my only point of all this. 

On paper it was a bad trade.  Botterill though saw it differently.

The team has definitely gotten better results since the trade.  How much was having O'Reilly out of the dressing room & how much better would they be with his skills or how much worse would they be with his intangibles.  No way of knowing that one but I expect it will be debated for a loooong time here.

What is interesting is (and we'll never get a straight answer) whether Berglund was included because the Blues insisted or if Botterill really wanted him.  The answer to that 1 would make the  return on the trade even better or worse than it originally was.  Because if Botterill didn't really want him, dumping him today is a net positive.

24 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

But how much will it cost and where will we find our 2C-3C that we have a void from this?

We will be rolling the dice again with another contract and at least 6m on the line. 

Sure, whatever they need to add, it's always going to take some work and luck to find the right piece for the team.  It gets a little easier to do that without Berglund's money hitting the cap.  Options are available that didn't previously exist.

'It's hard to really discuss this in terms of the trade. We would have been mad if we hadn't gotten a piece like Berglund back. 

But his play hasn't been that impressive and the contract wasn't good. 

So this makes the trade ultimately look both bad and good at the same time. 

Let's just take it for what it is: shedding cap. 

All I know is that nobody in here knows anything about what has happened. So lets not blame Berglund until there are some facts available.

He is a nice guy so i seriously doubt there are some lockerrom issues or something like that.

And also, he is WAY better than Mittelstadt right now so why he wasn´t put on the 2C is beyond me.

Merry Christmas !

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

'It's hard to really discuss this in terms of the trade. We would have been mad if we hadn't gotten a piece like Berglund back. 

But his play hasn't been that impressive and the contract wasn't good. 

So this makes the trade ultimately look both bad and good at the same time. 

Let's just take it for what it is: shedding cap. 

Personally, I saw the trade as a "I'm on the fence about it with hope the players we got back perform up to snuff". So, I guess you could say ab even trade at the time.

With those players not playing to par it went a bit south for me.

With the recent events with Bergy, I now see it as heading north again. If we get a player (or promote one from Roch) that even remotely resembles what we hoped Bergy would be, then we are back to the "fence". If we end up with an upgrade and save $$$, then I think we are winning the trade.

11 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

We're not.

I'm just hoping JBots doesn't need this much luck from the hockey gods to win(?) any more trades.

Like giving up Pu for Skinner?

I’m again thinking this had to be mutual.  Berglund was correctly suspended without pay.  Obviously he told Jbot he wasn’t returning.  If that was the case he’d remain suspended but under contract and therefore couldn’t play anywhere else.  Not Europe, not the AHL or NHL.  Why not Europe?  Because there are transfer agreements and his contract would have become void if he tried it.  Therefore if he wanted to play somewhere else this season and going forward he’d need to agree to the termination.

So Bergland 3.85M can be applied to Skinner's raise from 6M and Pomer and Moulson give the Sabres 10.6M more to play with in 2019.

Guess who makes 10.5M per for 4 more years starting in 2019?

Patrick Kane

Get Kane, by the time is contract expires then we have to pay Rasmus.

Edited by Swedesessed
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Swedesessed said:

So Bergland 3.85M can be applied to Skinner's raise from 6M and Pomer and Moulson give the Sabres 10.6M more to play with in 2019.

Guess who makes 10.5M per for 4 more years in 2019?

Patrick Kane

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c1a9a272e6d4c2e77.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c1a9a6e6267554359

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Like giving up Pu for Skinner?

I’m again thinking this had to be mutual.  Berglund was correctly suspended without pay.  Obviously he told Jbot he wasn’t returning.  If that was the case he’d remain suspended but under contract and therefore couldn’t play anywhere else.  Not Europe, not the AHL or NHL.  Why not Europe?  Because there are transfer agreements and his contract would have become void if he tried it.  Therefore if he wanted to play somewhere else this season and going forward he’d need to agree to the termination.

And that trade is another reason why we need to pump the brakes a bit on the idea that seems to be prevalent around here that we absolutely cannot trade away any of our picks/prospect right now.  There can be deals out there that make sense both short and long term.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

True but Patrick Kane is not a good idea for the Sabres. 

Generally I agree with the cap hit, but considering Dahlin will have a great contract, Sabres have draft picks to deal, now might be a time for go for it. Kane would take this offense to another gear. If they, and a big IF, move Okposo as part of this, I am all for it

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

And that trade is another reason why we need to pump the brakes a bit on the idea that seems to be prevalent around here that we absolutely cannot trade away any of our picks/prospect right now.  There can be deals out there that make sense both short and long term.

I don't hear people saying we can't trade away any of our picks or prospects. I see people being cautious of pulling a Lehner for a 1st type of crap. 

1 minute ago, Swedesessed said:

Generally I agree with the cap hit, but considering Dahlin will have a great contract, Sabres have draft picks to deal, now might be a time for go for it. Kane would take this offense to another gear. If they, and a big IF, move Okposo as part of this, I am all for it

Kane is signed for longer than Dahlin's current contract. Why on earth would Chicago take Okposo? 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.