Brawndo

Berglund on Waivers with Purpose to Terminate His Contract

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It seems pretty clear that Bergy's issues went well beyond hockey -- that sounds to me like he was suffering from pretty severe depression.  That wasn't the impression that I got from ROR, FWIW.

I agree.  We knew we would hear his story, whatever it would turn out to be, when he was ready to tell it.

Looks like those who were worrying about a grievance coming will have one less thing to worry about.

Still find it foolish for him to have moved forward in this matter.  As it appears to be depression that got to him, he could've / should've made his situation known to his employer &  they would've gotten him help without forfeiting the contract.

Good on him that he doesn't care about the money, but later on he might & he'd've still had walking away as an avenue available to him had he taken an interim step 1st.

Looks like long run it'll work out for the Sabres, though ST they're taking a hit.  Hope it works out for him as well.

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Looks like those who were worrying about a grievance coming will have one less thing to worry about.

Still find it foolish for him to have moved forward in this matter.  As it appears to be depression that got to him, he could've / should've made his situation known to his employer &  they would've gotten him help without forfeiting the contract.

Good on him that he doesn't care about the money, but later on he might & he'd've still had walking away as an avenue available to him had he taken an interim step 1st.

Looks like long run it'll work out for the Sabres, though ST they're taking a hit.  Hope it works out for him as well.

meh, if he doesn't care about the money then just leave. He doesn't owe them anything. Maybe on a personal level he could have been better, but I don't think he cares about burning bridges.

Besides, if anything he helped the team in the long run.

@Taro T-- logically, you are 100% correct, but I expect that he likely wasn't capable of thinking logically at the time.

I wonder how much his wife/agent/others close to him pushed for something like what you are suggesting.  They may have been so worried about him that they just went along with his wishes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

@Taro T-- logically, you are 100% correct, but I expect that he likely wasn't capable of thinking logically at the time.

I wonder how much his wife/agent/others close to him pushed for something like what you are suggesting.  They may have been so worried about him that they just went along with his wishes.

It could have been things weren't working out for him and that was the final straw in Burnout, from doing something for so long you just lose the love of it.

3 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Bergy put his money where his mouth is, innit?

Got it.  Quitter = sympathy.  Stick it out and try to power through it = unacceptable locker room presence.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Got it.  Quitter = sympathy.  Stick it out and try to power through it = unacceptable locker room presence.

That seems pretty black and white. I realize you are being a little tongue in cheek but if a dude divulges he has a mental health issue vs a guy who was just bummed about losing, it's a stark contrast. Management of information is important is every walk of life. Ryan shot from the hip, Patrick had months to digest and filter his message. 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

That seems pretty black and white. I realize you are being a little tongue in cheek but if a dude divulges he has a mental health issue vs a guy who was just bummed about losing, it's a stark contrast. Management of information is important is every walk of life. Ryan shot from the hip, Patrick had months to digest and filter his message. 

According to anonymous sources divulged by members here, ROR had similar mental illness issues.  I honestly don't get how one was pilloried and the other given sympathy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabills said:

meh, if he doesn't care about the money then just leave. He doesn't owe them anything. Maybe on a personal level he could have been better, but I don't think he cares about burning bridges.

Besides, if anything he helped the team in the long run.

Thus the statement "looks like long run it'll work out for the Sabres. ;)

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Very good question that I doubt we'll ever be privy to.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Guy going through some obviously serious ***** = sympathy.  At least from a good percentage of us.

RoR’s act = nowhere near the same thing, and you know this.   

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Guy going through some obviously serious ***** = sympathy.  At least from a good percentage of us.

RoR’s act = nowhere near the same thing, and you know this.   

That you call ROR's reaction an act makes my point.  It's been reported right here in this forum by supposed people in the know that ROR was suffering from depression every bit as much as Lehner was,  and now Berglund.  Yet ROR is an actor and Berglund is a target for sympathy.  It doesn't make sense to me.

Note that I haven't criticized Berglund here.  He did what he had to do.  I'm just commenting on a disconnect I don't understand.

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

That you call ROR's reaction an act makes my point.  It's been reported right here in this forum by supposed people in the know that ROR was suffering from depression every bit as much as Lehner was,  and now Berglund.  Yet ROR is an actor and Berglund is a target for sympathy.  It doesn't make sense to me.

Note that I haven't criticized Berglund here.  He did what he had to do.  I'm just commenting on a disconnect I don't understand.

The “act” referred to was the one put on for the benefit of the media, notably absent in the other two cases.  It may well have been entirely genuine, I dunno.  I have no clue what went on in the room or otherwise with him. I should have been more precise in my language.  

For the record: I harbor no ill will toward RoR either, but he’s gone.  JBots knows why.  The rest is speculation.  

12 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

The “act” referred to was the one put on for the benefit of the media, notably absent in the other two cases.  It may well have been entirely genuine, I dunno.  I have no clue what went on in the room or otherwise with him. I should have been more precise in my language.  

For the record: I harbor no ill will toward RoR either, but he’s gone.  JBots knows why.  The rest is speculation.  

The assumption that it wasn't genuine is what I don't understand.  Dude wore his heart on his sleeve the whole time he was here.