Berglund on Waivers with Purpose to Terminate His Contract

Brawndo

If he was just sitting out because he was trying to force the Sabres hand to change his usage or something, that's no grievance.  The only valid grievance I can imagine would be a life situation that Berglund tried to get some time away from the team for, and the team did not allow or recognize his request, and that his request would be considered reasonable, such as a medical condition or a family emergency.  I tend to think that this Sabres management wouldn't have denied such a request though, considering how they accommodated Okposo during his recovery, how they dealt with Lehner, etc.  But if he was just sitting out to catch Sabres attention, that is not a grievance that would stand up.

Edited by Doohickie

17 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Everyone was raving about how good the 4th line was as a shutdown line.  It's thankless work (which may have been part of Berglund's issue), but he, along with Girgs and Larry, were a big part of the 10-game streak.  Their production isn't measured in goals scored; their production is in goals prevented, a much harder metric to assess.

Fourth line or checking line? The classification has been bothering me. Traditionally, a fourth line is an "energy line."

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is correct, but so far as I know very few want to remember that he quit on the team in an extremely bizarre and public way.

The others I don't care that much about now, but when arguably the best player to ever wear your team's sweater and arguably the greatest ever to play a position quits on your team it should be remembered.  As far as I know, Weave and myself are the only ones here on a regular basis who have ever voiced a word against Sir Dom.

Oh, I have. There were vicious debates back in the day about Dom cracking under pressure in big games. The Kasparaitis goal was curious, let's leave it at that. The sprint off the ice didn't help the optics.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’ll admit to being leas than clear on the view that Hasek stopped trying, or engaged in some sort of sabotage (?), toward the end of his Sabres career. It’s not for this thread, anyway.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Hasek messing up on the Kasparaitis goal in OT was NOT quitting on the team.  Had Gilmour not quit on the team prior to that, he never would've had to make that save.

The regulation goal he gave up to Lehtinen in game 6 backin '99 was far worse.  Did he quit on them in that game as well?

And if the Criminals hadn't botched the Peca saga, there's not a reason to even consider that Hasek had quit on them.  (And people hated on Dom ever since Dickerson blamed him for Nolan's initial departure.)

Nope.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Good Christ. *That’s* what this is about?

C’mon.

Nope.

41 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Oh, I have. There were vicious debates back in the day about Dom cracking under pressure in big games. The Kasparaitis goal was curious, let's leave it at that. The sprint off the ice didn't help the optics.

Sorry but I couldn't leave it at that. Dom never liked to lose. He absolutely hated it as most should remember. I remember seeing him sprint away after other tough losses as well, & he's not alone in that either. I think its safer to say he did so from being mad at the loss & or himself, than saying he'd sprint off from deliberately letting the other team score lol. I mean it was game 7 in overtime. It seemed like he played the angle wrong from sitting deeper in the net due to the oncoming rush & Kasparaitis shot just beat him. If that happened to me I wouldnt want to stand around watching the Pens celebrate. I'd get away from there as fast as possible too.

Fans who claim anything different always rubbed me the wrong way on this. Its like ur thinking way too much into it. But i digress. I hope Berglund is alright  but as for our Sabres this is the best that could happen to a bad situation.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Please don't lock it.

It's not that bad.

Well we have differing opinions on that.

If I could change one single thing about the way this forum is run, it's that when a secondary discussion works its way into a thread, I wish a mod would start a new thread and copy all the posts on the secondary subject into it.  That could be done out of the megathreads as well- occasionally a subject comes up that deserves its own thread and could be broken out as such.

I post on another forum where the do just that:  They have a megathread called "Random Thoughts Derserving no Thread of Their Own" where people post whatever comes up, and occasionally there are several posts that follow on to each other and a mod breaks it into its own thread.

In fact, if the powers that be give me the authority to split threads about like that, I'd volunteer to do the job (on a trial basis anyway, to see if it's worth it to everyone else).

Edited by Doohickie

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Well we have differing opinions on that.

If I could change one single thing about the way this forum is run, it's that when a secondary discussion works its way into a thread, I wish a mod would start a new thread and copy all the posts on the secondary subject into it.  That could be done out of the megathreads as well- occasionally a subject comes up that deserves its own thread and could be broken out as such.

I post on another forum where the do just that:  They have a megathread called "Random Thoughts Derserving no Thread of Their Own" where people post whatever comes up, and occasionally there are several posts that follow on to each other and a mod breaks it into its own thread.

Or you could take the last 10 posts and just start a new thread and put them there. 

The bit of a sidetrack discussion was the direct result of someone posting something about most disliked Sabre and putting Bergy on that list, so I do not see how anything relatd to that is off-topic.

Just my 2.5 cents Canadian, which would be approximately 2 cents US.

Bergy would not be on my list.

+++++

For the record, I do not think the thread should be locked, or cleaned up.  Mods have been around, so I think they would have cleaned it up by now, if they thought it warranted, IMO.

Does anyone know where Bergy is?  I hope he is hanging in there, as they say.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.