Berglund on Waivers with Purpose to Terminate His Contract

Brawndo

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s not completely true.  Berglund is gone as of today and his contract with him.  

If he files a grievance and a deal is struck then some cap hit may return like with Mike Richards, but as of right now we are free of Berglund and his cap hit. I stick to my earlier opinion that there will be no grievance filed and the Berglund affair will be done.

The point was that we have the what, but we are still pretty much clueless on the why.  I figured that was obvious from the post, but I guess not.

Happy to see that this is resolved fairly quickly. I was hoping for Berglund to make a contribution this year, 15 or so goals, but he obviously wasn't going to help. The cap savings is going to help tremendously, I hope JBot is hunting around for some centremen, at least for the short term.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s not completely true.  Berglund is gone as of today and his contract with him.  

If he files a grievance and a deal is struck then some cap hit may return like with Mike Richards, but as of right now we are free of Berglund and his cap hit. I stick to my earlier opinion that there will be no grievance filed and the Berglund affair will be done.

It does seem likely -- and Friedman seems to indicate as well -- that this was a move that the team made after conferring with the player; that this is something the team probably would not have done if the player had signaled an intention to fight the move or otherwise gum up the works.

12 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I was hoping for Berglund to make a contribution this year, 15 or so goals, but he obviously wasn't going to help.

Everyone was raving about how good the 4th line was as a shutdown line.  It's thankless work (which may have been part of Berglund's issue), but he, along with Girgs and Larry, were a big part of the 10-game streak.  Their production isn't measured in goals scored; their production is in goals prevented, a much harder metric to assess.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Everyone was raving about how good the 4th line was as a shutdown line.  It's thankless work (which may have been part of Berglund's issue), but he, along with Girgs and Larry, were a big part of the 10-game streak.  Their production isn't measured in goals scored; their production is in goals prevented, a much harder metric to assess.

Yeah, I was hoping for more, he was a decent goal scorer in STL.

His big body and faceoff ability was definitely an asset for that line.

47 minutes ago, shrader said:

The point was that we have the what, but we are still pretty much clueless on the why.  I figured that was obvious from the post, but I guess not.

Ultimately the "why" doesn't matter.  There is no good why and frankly we don't need to know anymore.  He's gone, contributed next to nothing while here and we have to move on.

Right now he has joined Gilmour, Kozlov and Leino as my least favorite Sabres.

Gilmour - 82gp 10g 45a = 55pts (played part of 1999-00 and all of 2000-01)

Kozlov - 38gp 9g 13a = 22 pts (played part of 2001-02)

Leino - 137gp 10g 36a = 46pts (played parts of 3 season from 2011-14.)  

Berglund  - 23gp  2g 2a = 4pts (2018)

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Per Joe Yerdon Article 

Berglund has 60 Days to file a grievance. 

Per the CBA as well. ;)

Here's to hoping the decision to terminate the contract was mutual, because this could take a LONG time to resolve were it not mutual.  It would take at least 30, and up to 90, days to simply get in front of the NHL Grievance Committee to get that ball rolling.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Poor guy,... had to endure all that suffering.    Hopefully the $27mil helped him deal with his depression.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Poor guy,... had to endure all that suffering.    Hopefully the $27mil helped him deal with his depression.

Well it certainly funded he next career attempts at starving artist and clothing store business owner.. 

Both of which look strangely as successful as his Sabres Hockey career. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ultimately the "why" doesn't matter.  There is no good why and frankly we don't need to know anymore.  He's gone, contributed next to nothing while here and we have to move on.

Right now he has joined Gilmour, Kozlov and Leino as my least favorite Sabres.

Gilmour - 82gp 10g 45a = 55pts (played part of 1999-00 and all of 2000-01)

Kozlov - 38gp 9g 13a = 22 pts (played part of 2001-02)

Leino - 137gp 10g 36a = 46pts (played parts of 3 season from 2011-14.)  

Berglund  - 23gp  2g 2a = 4pts (2018)

The “why” remains an interesting point of inquiry. I’m keen to know.

And why Gilmour? The guy was brought in to help a playoff team when he was long in the tooth. 55 points in 82 games and a mess of playoff games? Not too shabby. I can’t recall much specific about his time here. How much did he even play after he left Buffalo?

11 hours ago, Weave said:

fixed for me.

Noone gets a pass.

The loathing that encompasses the greatest hockey player your team ever had is a special kind of loathing.

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The loathing that encompasses the greatest hockey player your team ever had is a special kind of loathing.

This is correct, but so far as I know very few want to remember that he quit on the team in an extremely bizarre and public way.

The others I don't care that much about now, but when arguably the best player to ever wear your team's sweater and arguably the greatest ever to play a position quits on your team it should be remembered.  As far as I know, Weave and myself are the only ones here on a regular basis who have ever voiced a word against Sir Dom.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is correct, but so far as I know very few want to remember that he quit on the team in an extremely bizarre and public way.

The others I don't care that much about now, but when arguably the best player to ever wear your team's sweater and arguably the greatest ever to play a position quits on your team it should be remembered.  As far as I know, Weave and myself are the only ones here on a regular basis who have ever voiced a word against Sir Dom.

I’ll say plenty about Dom that’s unflattering (no, @PASabreFan, I won’t retell THAT story again).

But put him on a most loathed list?

Again: Greatest hockey player that the team ever had.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’ll say plenty about Dom that’s unflattering (no, @PASabreFan, I won’t retell THAT story again).

But put him on a most loathed list?

Again: Greatest hockey player that the team ever had.

Again, that fact makes what he did so much worse.

And just to be clear I am not talking about him requesting and orchestrating a trade.

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Again, that fact makes what he did so much worse.

And just to be clear I am not talking about him requesting and orchestrating a trade.

I’ll admit to being leas than clear on the view that Hasek stopped trying, or engaged in some sort of sabotage (?), toward the end of his Sabres career. It’s not for this thread, anyway.

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hasek messing up on the Kasparaitis goal in OT was NOT quitting on the team.  Had Gilmour not quit on the team prior to that, he never would've had to make that save.

The regulation goal he gave up to Lehtinen in game 6 backin '99 was far worse.  Did he quit on them in that game as well?

And if the Criminals hadn't botched the Peca saga, there's not a reason to even consider that Hasek had quit on them.  (And people hated on Dom ever since Dickerson blamed him for Nolan's initial departure.)

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Hasek messing up on the Kasparaitis goal in OT was NOT quitting on the team.  Had Gilmour not quit on the team prior to that, he never would've had to make that save.

The regulation goal he gave up to Lehtinen in game 6 backin '99 was far worse.  Did he quit on them in that game as well?

And if the Criminals hadn't botched the Peca saga, there's not a reason to even consider that Hasek had quit on them.  (And people hated on Dom ever since Dickerson blamed him for Nolan's initial departure.)

Good Christ. *That’s* what this is about?

C’mon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.