Berglund on Waivers with Purpose to Terminate His Contract

Brawndo

27 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I have a hard time believing Berglund will challenge this.

Me too, but I won't be sure until it's official, because, y'know... Buffalo.

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Housley interview quote before the Boston game “ first he was out because he was ill, then it developed into something else”

Mmmm Hmmm... I got a bridge to sell you too.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Me too, but I won't be sure until it's official, because, y'know... Buffalo.

Mmmm Hmmm... I got a bridge to sell you too.

I'll take the bridge deal if the traffic goes north/south and not east/west.

If I can keep the traffic flowing for 2yrs, then you have to buy my island with a statue of a woman with a torch.

7 hours ago, darksabre said:

I have a hard time believing Berglund will challenge this. I know that in theory they could waive him without his consent, but I doubt they did. Berglund did this voluntarily. 

Agreed. I believe Botterill tried to trade him and teams did show interest but did not want his contract. Botterill probably would have passed this information to his agent and Berglund made the decision to terminate his deal. He now can choose his team sign a one year deal and bet on himself for FA July 1st. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

We actually don't know what communication there was between Berglund and the Sabres.

I'll take it a step further.  We know absolutely nothing about anything in this situation.  You've got incredibly guarded words from Housley and random internet speculation.  To suggest that Berglund doesn't have a leg to stand on is a bit crazy given that lack of knowledge.  And then add on top of everything the fact that we don't have the slightest clue how this grievance process works if he does choose to explore it.  The whole thing is incredibly murky.

• Like (+1) 1

It's all hearsay and speculation by alot of folks,............... and if the Blues had any indication of this "situation" while 10 was part of their organization it's almost like fraud. At this point I'd say their portion of the trade was misrepresented...... ya, misrepresented, and the Sabres should be compensated.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hsif said:

and if the Blues had any indication of this "situation" while 10 was part of their organization it's almost like fraud. At this point I'd say their portion of the trade was misrepresented...... ya, misrepresented, and the Sabres should be compensated.

More like caveat emptor.

• Like (+1) 3

From going on the Blues forum, it seems Berglund was a highly regarded prospect that never reached his potential.  Still, he was regarded as a good trooper.  It seems like the discontent with his game went both ways:  the club was disappointed with his progress but so was he.  I think he might have been kind of like Girgensons:  a first rounder that is a valid NHL player but didn't turn into a star.  Girgs seems to have embraced the role he has.  Berglund has had trouble doing so.  Then he got traded to somewhere he didn't want to go, tried to make the best of it, had high hopes he'd be 2C or at worst 3C and ended up the 13th forward.  Frustrating and I think it just got to him.

But like hsif says, that's just hearsay  and speculation on my part.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Bergie is gone, why are we beating the horse?  He came, he failed and now he’s gone. Time to move on.

We have a good team overall let’s focus on that and how we get to the next level.  Hopefully Jbot will find a use for Bergie’s cap hit to make this good team even better.

He's not gone if he files a grievance and he wins.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

He's not gone if he files a grievance and he wins.

For what? Anyone can file a grievance, but what are his grounds?  This isn’t Mike Richards.  He walked away.  He was given a deadline to return and didn’t.  End of story and contract. His only defense is a mental issue and that would have been asserted by his agent much earlier in the process.  

1 minute ago, shrader said:

It's also pretty clearly the biggest Sabre-related topic right now.  I know some may want to start 5 new threads a day, but this is still a very active subject.

Correct.

Getting some post-mortem on this is a big deal, too. I want to know whether his situation reflects in any way on the team, etc.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

For what? Anyone can file a grievance, but what are his grounds?  This isn’t Mike Richards.  He walked away.  He was given a deadline to return and didn’t.  End of story and contract. His only defense is a mental issue and that would have been asserted by his agent much earlier in the process.  

If @nfreeman is anything like me, he has humility on the subject of something as complicated as the NHL's CBA, various labour policies, and governing laws.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Correct.

Getting some post-mortem on this is a big deal, too. I want to know whether his situation reflects in any way on the team, etc.

The news today is that Skinner wants to stay here.  I’d say that is a much more positive sign about what is going on here then Bergie’s departure.

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What time is the termination official?  24 hours to clear waivers, right?  When did he get put on waivers?  Noon?

Edited by Doohickie

The CapFriendly tweet sez

However, once the player clears waivers, and the club has officially terminated the contract, the player and his agent can challenge the violation outlined by the club for breach of contract, as well as the right to file a grievance with the players association.

So how long to they have to file the grievance?

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.