Berglund on Waivers with Purpose to Terminate His Contract

Brawndo

1 minute ago, R_Dudley said:

Yippee, does that mean we have 2.2 million to spend on something this year? 

I would like a used 2C or better yet a another Domi like move finding a diamond in the rough by converting a winger back to center, a position they may have played in the minors.. 

Yes it does. 

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Code Blue means send security at our hospital, code grey is stroke protocol... take your pick...

For Us 

Code Blue is Cardiac Arrest

Code Silver is missing elderly patient 

Code Brown well that’s not officially anything but it leads to the nursing staff swearing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

19 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Yippee, does that mean we have 2.2 million to spend on something this year? 

I would like a used 2C or better yet a another Domi like move finding a diamond in the rough by converting a winger back to center, a position they may have played in the minors.. 

Yes, but because ~40% of the season has already passed, that means the Sabres can add ~$3.85MM worth of nominal cap hit should they need to if they find an available C that could perform as the 2C.

Considering the limited value the Sabres were getting from Berglund this certainly appears to be a best case scenario.  And kudos to the Sabres for seemingly keeping this affair from degenerating into something unprofessional.

Any thoughts on who takes uniform #10 next?  Fairly popular # usually worn by good players.  Might be a good time to buy a Berglund on closeout at tge Sabres Store with plans to get the nameplate changed.

Or, could just have a good conversation piece a few years down the road.  Berglund?  Wasn't he a Blue?  HE played for the Sabres?  Well, kind of ... ;)

1 hour ago, LTS said:

So perhaps he ends up as a Sabres scout in Sweden where he gets paid a decent amount that doesn't count against the Cap?  I can understand this viewpoint and especially that taking into account the Jeremy White tweet shared above too.

If its family related I could certainly see that, especially if he is needed back in Sweden. He could void his contract, go overseas and have the Sabres hire him as a part-time scout or something like that. 

That being said its hard to tell if this was an amicable separation or both sides were merely being as professional as they could. 

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Any thoughts on who takes uniform #10 next?  Fairly popular # usually worn by good players.  Might be a good time to buy a Berglund on closeout at tge Sabres Store with plans to get the nameplate changed.

Or, could just have a good conversation piece a few years down the road.  Berglund?  Wasn't he a Blue?  HE played for the Sabres?  Well, kind of ... ?

I like the ones like Jaro Halak where technically they were a Sabre but not really. Best of all? Stephane Beauregard. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

With the unconditional waivers being done on the day the trade freeze takes effect, any theories as to why now? Also, the unexplainable way Phil is playing Sobotka in a variety of roles is curious.

Is there something larger at play here we are missing? Cap clear Berglund to allow him to pursue other avenues, showcasing Sobotka perhaps?

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

For Us 

Code Blue is Cardiac Arrest

Code Silver is missing elderly patient 

Code Brown well that’s not officially anything but it leads to the nursing staff swearing 

Code 99 is cardiac arrest

code blue is security

I think code brown is the same as your’s

code purple is elopement no idea why

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

Unbelievable.

Anything is possible, but it seems highly unlikely to me that this is just a temper tantrum by Bergy about being traded to one of the teams he would've put on his list of 10 no-go destinations.  Who in the world throws a $12.5MM temper tantrum?

If there are in fact personal/family issues, I hope everything works out OK for him.

Either way, this is better than pretty much any other reasonably possible outcome other than him turning into a good top-6 forward.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Skibum said:

Can someone with NHL contract knowledge explain how the Sabres were able to simply void Berglund's contract, and why they were not able to do the same with Moulson, Leino, or any of the other overpaid players they have been saddled with recently?

It's because Berglund agreed to it/wanted it. Most players typically want to get paid their full contract. 

The Sabres could have waived him without him agreeing to it, but then they'd get themselves in a losing battle with the player's association. 

3 minutes ago, Skibum said:

Can someone with NHL contract knowledge explain how the Sabres were able to simply void Berglund's contract, and why they were not able to do the same with Moulson, Leino, or any of the other overpaid players they have been saddled with recently?

First of all, they haven't terminated it yet, they've only taken the first steps in that direction.

The difference between Berglund and say, Moulson, is this:  Mouslon showed up to work and did the things a hockey player does.  He fulfilled the requirements of his contract.  Berglund just stopped coming to work.  As such, he is in breech of his contract, and the Sabres can then take steps to terminate it.

Some have said that it is a mutual termination; i.e., both parties want to end the contract.  I haven't seen that through any official sources yet.  If Berglund agrees and the Sabres agree, they can just end the contract with no fuss.  If Berglund wants to fight it though, the union (NHLPA) and take up the case and they could end up in court.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's because Berglund agreed to it/wanted it.

I've been away from the computer for a bit.  Has this been confirmed?  I've only seen it on non-official sites such as media and CapFriendly.

If mutual (which we'll learn soon), I hope Mr. Berglund is doing what is right for himself and his family. He's leaving a ton of cash (and stability) on the table. If non-mutual, then we'll see what happens, but it likely won't be good (I'd assume some form of cap penalty/pick penalty) -- is there precedence for it?

If we lose the cap hit -- this is fantastic. A few more seasons freed up and cash to play with is important. We lack a #2 center, but that can be found with a rental, or... Mittelstadt can start owning it. (Granted, the kid could use a year in the AHL, but I have faith he'll start to kick ass at some point).

Regarding the trade: it's now a player, a pick, and a prospect for ROR (and his long-term cap hit). I'm a little disappointed, but freeing up the cap space cannot be understated.

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

So Step 3 is today and Berglund has the right to file a grievance with the NHLPA. So as @Doohickie has been mentioning this might not be over. 

While true technically, it is well known according to some the team would not take this action unless it was mutual.

Guess it something we'll find out shortly, but I don't see Bots as the type to get in to a pissing match with a player. The Pegula's themselves are trying to build an organization that accommodates players.

• Like (+1) 1

I know I've been a butt about asking about the mutual part, but I just feel like this is too good to be true from a salary cap standpoint.  I fully expect that there will be some hitch in the process.  If he clears waivers without contesting them tomorrow, then I'll believe it.

What would be the basis for his grievance?  PH put me in Time Out?  I walked away from the team but I didn't mean it?  I know they gave me a deadline but I didn't think they were serious?  Seriously, from the outside looking in, the Sabres were well within their rights to suspend him and terminate the contract.  The only claim the Bergie might have is that he is having a mental breakdown and therefore must be put on IR not terminated.  However if that was the case he and his agent would have made that claim much earlier in the process.

Bye Bye Bergie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

If its family related I could certainly see that, especially if he is needed back in Sweden. He could void his contract, go overseas and have the Sabres hire him as a part-time scout or something like that. 

That being said its hard to tell if this was an amicable separation or both sides were merely being as professional as they could. 

I seriously cannot see the Sabres hire him in any capacity ever.  He never communicated his issues to Housley or Boterill. He lied about being ill and missing games.  

I don’t see how leaving 12M$ on the table can be amicable.  

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I know I've been a butt about asking about the mutual part, but I just feel like this is too good to be true from a salary cap standpoint.  I fully expect that there will be some hitch in the process.  If he clears waivers without contesting them tomorrow, then I'll believe it.

This has been so weird that he and his agent would probably file the grievance too late. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

First of all, they haven't terminated it yet, they've only taken the first steps in that direction.

The difference between Berglund and say, Moulson, is this:  Mouslon showed up to work and did the things a hockey player does.  He fulfilled the requirements of his contract.  Berglund just stopped coming to work.  As such, he is in breech of his contract, and the Sabres can then take steps to terminate it.

Some have said that it is a mutual termination; i.e., both parties want to end the contract.  I haven't seen that through any official sources yet.  If Berglund agrees and the Sabres agree, they can just end the contract with no fuss.  If Berglund wants to fight it though, the union (NHLPA) and take up the case and they could end up in court.

I've been away from the computer for a bit.  Has this been confirmed?  I've only seen it on non-official sites such as media and CapFriendly.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

So Step 3 is today and Berglund has the right to file a grievance with the NHLPA. So as @Doohickie has been mentioning this might not be over. 

I have a hard time believing Berglund will challenge this. I know that in theory they could waive him without his consent, but I doubt they did. Berglund did this voluntarily. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.