Berglund on Waivers with Purpose to Terminate His Contract

Brawndo

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I don't hear people saying we can't trade away any of our picks or prospects. I see people being cautious of pulling a Lehner for a 1st type of crap. 

I've gotten the "absolutely no" vibe from a few, including you.  But fair enough, I'm glad to see what you've said here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't hear people saying we can't trade away any of our picks or prospects. I see people being cautious of pulling a Lehner for a 1st type of crap. 

Kane is signed for longer than Dahlin's current contract. 

I think maybe a year longer I could be wrong though, something I think JBot can work around by then

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kane is signed for longer than Dahlin's current contract. Why on earth would Chicago take Okposo? 

I know Kane after this year has 4 years left on his 10.5M per contract, Kane signed the 8 year deal in 14.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I've gotten the "absolutely no" vibe from a few, including you.  But fair enough, I'm glad to see what you've said here.

I'll trade a first for a forward under the age of 23 that is still on their ELC next season. Find me one that is worth it. 

2 minutes ago, Swedesessed said:

I think maybe a year longer I could be wrong though, something I think JBot can work around by then

It's 2 years longer than Dahlin's current deal so 100% no. 

2 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m getting a feeling that Berglund has something very personal going on that prompted all of this. 

Fwiw, someone related a rumour to me that he made similar gripes in STL and that was part of why they wanted to move him. If true, it sounds like he's been in this sort of head space for a while.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll trade a first for a forward under the age of 23 that is still on their ELC next season. Find me one that is worth it. 

Ok, so that's your price tag for a first.  That still leaves out the prospect side of the conversation.  In a world where a fairly insignificant trade package lands you Jeff Skinner (granted there's a difference between offseason and midseason prices), the pool of available trades is much deeper when you focus on ever arrow in the quiver instead of just one.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fwiw, someone related a rumour to me that he made similar gripes in STL and that was part of why they wanted to move him. If true, it sounds like he's been in this sort of head space for a while.

I’ve been thinking about it, and what we have been told just doesn’t add up. I’m not buying what seems to just be a theory that he was unhappy with being in Buffalo and/or his role with the team and suddenly tossing away all that guaranteed money. I’m not buying that he misses being on a team near the bottom of the standings, and hated being on a team near the top of the standings. 

It’s just my feeling, but there is something more going on with either him personally and/or his family. A professional hockey player giving up all that money and term on a contending team on just a whim? I don’t think so. It was/is something more important to him than money and the game. 

The Sabres, for their part, seemed to have helped keep whatever is going on private, and both parties thus far seem to be working swiftly to accommodate each other. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes and no.  We have Tage and a 1st rd pick from a lousy team.  We got rid of ROR’s long-term cap obligation and bad locker room attitude and now have cap space to acquire the player we hoped Berglund would be.  I’ve mentioned Johansson, but there are other options. 

I think we are a decent center away from being a dominate team.  Jbot is now free to go get that guy.

I’m glad Taro remembered the second, which effectively became Skinner. Berglund walking effectively becomes Skinner’s raise. 

Now if we can spin the first, Thompson and Sobotka into O’Reilly’s replacement, Botterill becomes the world’s luckiest genius.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m glad Taro remembered the second, which effectively became Skinner. Berglund walking effectively becomes Skinner’s raise. 

Now if we can spin the first, Thompson and Sobotka into O’Reilly’s replacement, Botterill becomes the world’s luckiest genius.

I don’t think you need to go that far on the limb.  Trade a medium pick or prospect to get Johansson or Eric Staal.  Both are on expiring contracts and both would be good bridges while Mitts and Asplund develop.  

Skinner Jack Samson

Sheary Johansson/Staal Okposo

Wilson/Erod Mitts Thompson

Girgensons Larsson Pommers/Sobotka 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

15 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’ve been thinking about it, and what we have been told just doesn’t add up. I’m not buying what seems to just be a theory that he was unhappy with being in Buffalo and/or his role with the team and suddenly tossing away all that guaranteed money. I’m not buying that he misses being on a team near the bottom of the standings, and hated being on a team near the top of the standings. 

It’s just my feeling, but there is something more going on with either him personally and/or his family. A professional hockey player giving up all that money and term on a contending team on just a whim? I don’t think so. It was/is something more important to him than money and the game. 

The Sabres, for their part, seemed to have helped keep whatever is going on private, and both parties thus far seem to be working swiftly to accommodate each other. 

Not for nothing, but the team he was on last year wasn't a bottom dweller. Although, they did miss out on the playoffs, IIRC.

It also seems to me that the combined effects of having his no-trade/no-movement rights waived by his agent and then having his usage suffer in Buffalo could have prompted him to give up on the current situation.

More specifically, he might've been ticked off when he got moved to Buffalo despite thinking he'd listed Buffalo as a no-go destination. But then maybe he decided he'd make the best of it here -- put up 20+ goals while being the godfather for the young Swedes. Except then he fell down the depth chart.

Mind you, I don't endorse that as something a professional should do. But I can see him getting to that point.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t think you need to go that far on the limb.  Trade a medium pick or prospect to get Johansson or Eric Staal.  Both are on expiring contracts and both would be good bridges while Mitts and Asplund develop.  

Skinner Jack Samson

Sheary Johansson/Staal Okposo

Wilson/Erod Mitts Thompson

Girgensons Larsson Pommers/Sobotka 

I'm not a Sheary fan and would rather see Erod there.

I think that 4th line would be a treat to watch and a beech nut to play against.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's consistent with stuff I read on other forums.  He thought he was better than he was and wanted an opportunity to prove it.  No one else saw it so he didn't get the opportunity.  Kind of like ROR wanting to be a C somewhere.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

For purpose of contract termination 

per Sabres 

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1075436523573731328?s=21

Goodbye Cap Hit!!

Well that escalated quickly.

It's been one of those days ... the hightlight was going to our hottie dentist for a filling.

NS back out ..........

53 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Further fwiw: A reply to White’s tweet says that he understands  from a source (in STL) that this is going to have personal/family issues at the bottom of it.

13 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Well that escalated quickly.

It's been one of those days ... the hightlight was going to our hottie dentist for a filling.

NS back out ..........

Did they remove this? When I click on this link it comes up "Sorry, this page does not exist".

The Twitter link you responded to.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Further fwiw: A reply to White’s tweet says that he understands  from a source (in STL) that this is going to have personal/family issues at the bottom of it.

I've had some stuff go on my life this year and if I had the financial wherewithal, I might have taken at least a leave of absence.  I can totally get where Bergie could have some stuff going down.  If it really is personal stuff though, I would think he could have negotiated a leave of absence from the team.... but maybe he never wanted to be a Sabre to begin with.

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

So perhaps he ends up as a Sabres scout in Sweden where he gets paid a decent amount that doesn't count against the Cap?  I can understand this viewpoint and especially that taking into account the Jeremy White tweet shared above too.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Yippee, does that mean we have 2.2 million to spend on something this year? 

I would like a used 2C or better yet a another Domi like move finding a diamond in the rough by converting a winger back to center, a position they may have played in the minors.. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.