Berglund on Waivers with Purpose to Terminate His Contract

Brawndo

Just now, pi2000 said:

They'll have around $27m in cap space next season as Larsson, Girgensons, and Beaulieu are also coming off the books...

McCabe will be an RFA and probably gets around $2.5-3m.    Skinner gets $8m, Beaulieu $2.5m or so... leaving them with $14m to spend on filling a handful roster spots depending if they fill those with guys in already under contract in Roch, or FAs.

Larsson and Girgs are likely coming back too

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Why would a player have to sign off on a team waiving him?

Getting waived WITHOUT recieving the 2/3's remaining guaranteed money he was supposed to get requires his acquiescense or a demonstration of breach of duty or both.  That's where this is going.  He just walked away from ~$7-10MM.

Just now, WildCard said:

Larsson and Girgs are likely coming back too

I think you can find guys who play the same type of game but can contribute more offensively.    Those spots need an upgrade IMO, and they'll have the money to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

They'll have around $27m in cap space next season as Larsson, Girgensons, and Beaulieu are also coming off the books...

McCabe will be an RFA and probably gets around $2.5-3m.    Skinner gets $8m, Beaulieu $2.5m or so... leaving them with $14m to spend on filling a handful roster spots depending if they fill those with guys in already under contract in Roch, or FAs.

Baloo won’t be back for that much money.  No way you pay him anything close to McCabe.  His rights will be traded or he’ll be non-tendered and if the Sabres want him back (which I doubt) the most he’ll get is 1.5.  

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

I think you can find guys who play the same type of game but can contribute more offensively.    Those spots need an upgrade IMO, and they'll have the money to do that.

I don't disagree. It's a matter of finding them I suppose. Plus, if Housley is determined to have a shutdown line, like he has shown so far, and it works, like it has this season, I would expect them back

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Depends how much value you thought Berglund brought to the Sabres.

Those who thought he was nothing more than a dump must be ecstatic.

I was hoping he’d play a solid 2nd C, score some goals, win faceoffs, kill penalties and help mentor the young Swedes.  I thought he was, likes Pommers, a pros pro.  Wrong!  This walk about has turned a terrible situation on the ice and with the cap into a net positive.  We get rid of a terrible cap burden and a terrible player and a locker room cancer. That is taking some serious lemons and making great lemonade.  

All in, all out, all the time.  Great job Jbot.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

It's kind of interesting that it has to go through waiver in order to terminate the contract.  Obviously no one is going to claim him, but it's interesting that they allow for the possibility that one team is cool with violation of contract while another is not.  Yeah, I know rules are rules, but it kind of makes me laugh a bit.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I was hoping he’d play a solid 2nd C, score some goals, win faceoffs, kill penalties and help mentor the young Swedes.  I thought he was, likes Pommers, a pros pro.  Wrong!  This walk about has turned a terrible situation on the ice and with the cap into a net positive.  We get rid of a terrible cap burden and a terrible player and a locker room cancer. That is taking some serious lemons and making great lemonade.  

All in, all our, all the time.  Great job Jbot.

There is where I stand as well.

But, the net result of the ROR trade for Buffalo is even worse now if we thought we where getting an NHL 2c and we have absolutely nothing.

Just now, woods-racer said:

But, the net result of the ROR trade for Buffalo is even worse now if we thought we where getting an NHL 2c and we have absolutely nothing.

That is instead replaced with a significant amount of long term cap relief.  After next year, it comes down to the difference between O'Reilly and Thompson's contracts, so we'll probably be talking close to $6 million.  I'd count that as a significant return.  Maybe it's not one they wanted/were counting on, but that's what it is now.

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

Yes and no.  We have Tage and a 1st rd pick from a lousy team.  We got rid of ROR’s long-term cap obligation and bad locker room attitude and now have cap space to acquire the player we hoped Berglund would be.  I’ve mentioned Johansson, but there are other options. 

I think we are a decent center away from being a dominate team.  Jbot is now free to go get that guy.

Just now, shrader said:

That is instead replaced with a significant amount of long term cap relief.  After next year, it comes down to the difference between O'Reilly and Thompson's contracts, so we'll probably be talking close to $6 million.  I'd count that as a significant return.  Maybe it's not one they wanted/were counting on, but that's what it is now.

But how much will it cost and where will we find our 2C-3C that we have a void from this?

We will be rolling the dice again with another contract and at least 6m on the line. 

5 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The fact that STL is sucking a bag of ***** helps a lot.    What was expected to be a late 1st rnd pick in 2019, is now looking like a potential Lafreniere lottery pick in 2020.      That pick and Thompson probably would've got it done.

14 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Well, we thought we were getting a 3C that could muddle through 2C minutes in a learning season that would see the Sabres on the outside looking in.  Turns out, we got a 4R on what looks like a playoff bound team that became disgrunted & said #### it.

And they don't have "absolutely nothing" for him.  They have 3-1/2 years of an additional ~$3.5MM worth of cap space, an additional contract slot which can be used on depth this season or a college kid come Spring, & also an understanding within the room that only the guys that want to be here are here.  Heck of a team bonding exercise.

Not what they expected 5 months ago, but far more than they had 1 week ago.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

Since this keeps coming up.  Here is our cap situation with Berglund gone.

Right now we have 8 forwards signed for next year for 29 mill (Jack, KO, Sam, Vlad, Sheary, Tage, Wilson and Mitts).  Larsson, Z, and Erod are RFAs.  Skinner and Pommers are UFAs.  Nylander and Olofsson are also signed for next season 863K and 768K respectively.

On defense we have 8 D signed and 2 RFAs.  The 8 signed are Hunwick, Risto, Scandella, Dahlin, Pilut, Guhle, Nelson and Bogo for 20.153.  Baloo and McCabe are the RFAs.  

Hutton is also signed for the next 2 seasons at 2.75.  

That’s 17 players for approximately 52 mill.  Add Nylander and Olofsson, re-sign Skinner (8.5 x 6 years) and Ullmark (2 x 3 years) and you’ve nearly completed the roster for 64 mill.  Re-sign two of Z, Larsson and ERod and your done for under 68 mill.  Re-sign McCabe maybe your adding 3.5 to 4.  I’m going with 3.5 because of his recent injury history and lack of high offense.

6 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

But how much will it cost and where will we find our 2C-3C that we have a void from this?

We will be rolling the dice again with another contract and at least 6m on the line. 

I’ve mention Johansson who is on the last year of his deal at 4.75 and is only 28.  He is a 40-50 pt guy on a decent team.  Sadly he isn’t good in the FO circle, but can play any forward position.  I think he can be had for a medium prospect or a 3rd rd pick.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

So what I'm hearing is  wI dumped ROR to St. Louis for nothing in return except a pair of relatively cheap rentals and a first round pick at this point , so we won?

He was traded for a 2 year cap dump (Sobotka), a 1/2 year (though expected 4 year) cap dump (Berglund) who was expected to be useful for a year or 2 (ooops) before becoming a pumpkin, an NHL-ish ready prospect (Thompson), a late 1st this year (that may become a very early 1st next year), a 2nd, & a reshuffling of a dysfunctional dressing room's leadership.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve mention Johansson who is on the last year of his deal at 4.75 and is only 28.  He is a 40-50 pt guy on a decent team.  Sadly he isn’t good in the FO circle, but can play any forward position.  I think he can be had for a medium prospect or a 3rd rd pick.

I don't doubt this, but, I believe the majority of our protentional centers that we will be looking at are other teams cap dumps. We just aren't going to see anything that is much better than Berglund, so we are not wining on the trade to ST. Louis any more today than we where 4 months ago is my only point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.