Berglund on Waivers with Purpose to Terminate His Contract

Brawndo

I wonder if no one picks him up on waivers, and there is no trade that makes sense, would they bury him with Matt Moulson on the Ontario Reign?  I guess they would have to want him...however we can get rid of his cap hit, get it done.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder if the interest in Berglund reported last night did not include his contract, and after being told this he agreed to terminate to allow him to go where he wants and bet on himself to sign another deal this offseason? 

That would be my guess. 

Just now, repster said:

I wonder if no one picks him up on waivers, and there is no trade that makes sense, would they bury him with Matt Moulson on the Ontario Reign?  I guess they would have to want him...however we can get rid of his cap hit, get it done.

This isn't a waiver to re-assign to Rochester. If he clears he's gone forever. 

24 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

That escalated quickly 

2 minutes ago, repster said:

They aren't waiving him to put him in the AHL. They are waiving him to terminate his contract. 

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m going to have to disagree.  The agent or Berglund are to blame.  They had an obligation under the contract and they failed.  Why is that the GM’s fault?  The GM also did him a favor by giving him to a team that actually needed his services.  He had the opportunity to win the 2nd line center job on a young up and coming team.  That seems like a golden opportunity. Berglund failed.  

16 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

In my opinion, the GM was doing what was best for his team. Hockey is a business and that side can be ugly. If anyone is a piece of doodie it's clearly Bergland's agent for dropping the ball on submitting his no-trade list. 

Anyways, good riddance. When the ROR trade happened, his contract had me worried because of the length. Problem solved. This opens a spot for a kid to make an impression. 

Compare this to how JBott handled Moulson. He figured out a place where he had family and sent him there, probably after discussing.

Berglund situation seems there was no discussion, no consideration of the human element. Yes, the agent would have the most blame in this scenario, but the STL GM then would have only considered getting his prize (ROR) rather than treating a player humanely. If his agent single-handedly dropped the ball, Berglund would have been helpless in this situation.

Rather than the GM being humane ("hey, you really don't care about the nmc anymore?"), he just acted in an opportunistic manner -- nevermind the ramifications on an actual human being.

There is no chance that anyone is going to give him that money & term at his age considering his recent production.

I understand why he would have had Buffalo on his No Trade list in the off-season, but this team is playoff bound this year and has, from what i've heard, great ownership.

What a selfish player. Good riddance.

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

BD28679C-E238-466D-8E34-B0044AC2E41E.jpeg

Wow.  If I’m his agent and failed to get the NTC clause properly activated, I’d be hiring a pretty lawyer about now. 

There has to be more to this story.  We may never know, but was there a problem at home? You don’t just walk away from 12.5 million.

My understanding also after looking at Montreal’s termination of Pleky’s contract, that this had to be mutual at this point.  The Sabres probably had the right to terminate but it would have dragged on much much longer.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.