GDT Florida Panthers at Buffalo Sabres 7:00pm ET 12/18/2018

Doohickie

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Great post, but Skinner absolutely put his stick on Barkov's skate and pushed, a really dangerous and dirty play that didn't appear to be a play on the puck.

I'll review it again tonight, I did not see it like that. 

This article from a Panther media source says there was no dirty hit.  Yandle said afterward he thought it was worse than it was.

https://www.litterboxcats.com/2018/12/19/18148094/florida-panthers-buffalo-sabres-recap-game-32-nhl

Edited by Pimlach

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I'll review it again tonight, I did not see it like that. 

This article from a Panther media source says there was no dirty hit.  Yandle said afterward he thought it was worse than it was.

https://www.litterboxcats.com/2018/12/19/18148094/florida-panthers-buffalo-sabres-recap-game-32-nhl

The trip plays on a loop in this link.  The stick clearly hits the left skate, but it's the upward motion from Skinner that I have a hard time interpreting.  The best I can come up with is a shift in balance due to the thigh to thigh contact.  To me, the whole think looks like he tried to reach to the puck through Barkov's legs and it all went wrong.  That's typically what happens if you try to make a play through anyone's legs.  I chalk the whole thing up to bad timing, but the call on the ice fit it perfectly, tripping.

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

He didn't body slam Skinner.   Yandle dropped his gloves, Skinner realized this and turtled allowing Yandle to throw him down to the ice... he wanted no part of Yandle and he drew the penalty.      It wasn't a malicious play by any means.

Look at it again.  

As close as you can get to a body slam with skates on  

Edited by Pimlach

I thought he should have gotten 4 minutes, 2 for interference/holding, and 2 for roughing.

Didnt really care he only got 2. Cared that we didn’t respond, and watching this Caps/Pens game, Jack or someone is going to have to find some sandpaper if we are going to contend some day.

Look who was on the ice, 37,26, 29.  None capable of responding. 

Taking the the PP is only good if you score, we didn’t respond.   Worse,  Yandle and Barkov teamed up for the tying goal. 

I’ll say it again, we may make the playoff but will not win until we get some tougher players. 

Hopefully when we rebuild lines 2 and 3 we can add a few forwards that have skills and are nasty   

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Look who was on the ice, 37,26, 29.  None capable of responding. 

Taking the the PP is only good if you score, we didn’t respond.   Worse,  Yandle and Barkov teamed up for the tying goal. 

I’ll say it again, we may make the playoff but will not win until we get some tougher players. 

Hopefully when we rebuild lines 2 and 3 we can add a few forwards that have skills and are nasty   

you spelled "skilled" wrong. 

Hard working talent beats "tough" 9 out of 10 games. There's a reason Lucic isn't good anymore. How's Edmonton doing with Kassian and Lucic on the team? They are tough and yet they still lose. You need skilled players, not players who will attack other players. Sure it is nice to have skilled and nasty but if I have a choice between 1 or the other, I am going with skilled. The 2nd line isn't skilled enough. Also in your example 37 is a rookie and 26 is a rookie. What are they supposed to do? Skinner drew the penalty and they Sabres went to the powerplay, there was no reason to respond. If Skinner was hurt, then sure. But he wasn't. 

Edited by LGR4GM

11 hours ago, SwampD said:

I thought he should have gotten 4 minutes, 2 for interference/holding, and 2 for roughing.

Didnt really care he only got 2. Cared that we didn’t respond, and watching this Caps/Pens game, Jack or someone is going to have to find some sandpaper if we are going to contend some day.

Eh.  that kind of interference (playing the body, not the puck when going into the corner) happens all the time with no penalties called.

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

you spelled "skilled" wrong. 

Hard working talent beats "tough" 9 out of 10 games. There's a reason Lucic isn't good anymore. How's Edmonton doing with Kassian and Lucic on the team? They are tough and yet they still lose. You need skilled players, not players who will attack other players. Sure it is nice to have skilled and nasty but if I have a choice between 1 or the other, I am going with skilled. The 2nd line isn't skilled enough. Also in your example 37 is a rookie and 26 is a rookie. What are they supposed to do? Skinner drew the penalty and they Sabres went to the powerplay, there was no reason to respond. If Skinner was hurt, then sure. But he wasn't. 

I don’t see the typo on “skilled” but ok, correct my spelling.    I was not expecting 37 or 26 to respond, they are kids by comparison.  

I still expected a response from the powerplay, or by the team in someway.   Maybe the response was to score the 3rd goal and put an inferior opponent away?  Instead we got the opposite.  

Sure “working hard” is important, and maybe “tough” was the wrong word for me to use, but I never said get players that “attack” other players. You did, not me.   Yandle attacked Skinner.  Skinner did not attack Bartov, just look at the replay.   It was not intentional. Even Yandle said afterward that it wasn’t as bad as he thought.   

As far as Buffalo vs Edmonton in a 7 game series,  I am not sure we would win.  Not at all, we have a 6 point lead on them.   The season is still young, we have a long way to go.  

Edited by Pimlach

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.