Rasmus Rising: The Ascension of Dahlin

LGR4GM

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

First, there are 1-2 plays every game where I am like "OMG WHY!!! YOU GOT TO COVER THAT!!" then I remember he is 18 and I then I watch him do something ridiculous like skate around the entire ice surface for 20 seconds because he can or attempt a backhand pass to himself because he has the agility to turn faster than Eric Karlsson. So for fun I went in to Elite Prospects and I decided to look up defenders by points this season.

I limited it to U20 at first and there are only 3 guys on the list (minimum 10 games) and Dahlin is the leader. Sorry Miro Heiskenen. 

U21. There are 9 guys on the list and Dahlin is the leader.

U22... there are 20 defenders on the list and Dahlin ranks 2nd behind Chabot. 

U23.... 30 players and Dhalin is 2nd in scoring. 

U24... he is now 3rd in scoring and there are 42 players on the list. 

U25... 7th in scoring with 69 players on the list. 

So to recap, at this moment in time, Dahlin is outscoring all the other defenders under 21. You have to go all the way to Under 24 to get him to drop out of 2nd and the first guy is Thomas Chabot. Rasmus Dahlin is outscoring guys that are anywhere from 3-5 years his senior. Now imagine him at Chabot's age of 21. 

his passing is a thing of beauty. reminds me of perrault . not rushed and right on the mark with such ease.

58 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Have you been to the Bobby Orr "Hall of Fame" in Parry Sound? Some neat stuff there.

He's in the conversation with Wayne and Gordie as the GOAT. Injury shortened career keeps him 3rd in many eyes.

I would be satisfied if Dahlin is like Potvin, Lidstrom or even Salming.

or Lemieux..(re GOAT).there are a few players that played hockey like they were men playing against boys.

Lets see how Dahlin developes.My guess at this point is that he will be better than Potvin,Lidstrom and Salming and not as great as Orr.

7 minutes ago, calti said:

or Lemieux..(re GOAT).there are a few players that played hockey like they were men playing against boys.

Lets see how Dahlin developes.My guess at this point is that he will be better than Potvin,Lidstrom and Salming and not as great as Orr.

If heis better than Potvin, that would be saying something.  More than 30 years after his retirement, the Rag fans still have him in one of their favorite chants.

Wouldn't that be something, hearing Loaf fans still chanting "Dahlin sucks" in 2055?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

If heis better than Potvin, that would be saying something.  More than 30 years after his retirement, the Rag fans still have him in one of their favorite chants.

Wouldn't that be something, hearing Loaf fans still chanting "Dahlin sucks" in 2055?

that was a helluvan islander era

Not gonna name names, but remember when there were some that thought the transition to the NHL, what with a smaller ice, better players, more physical, etc., would be very tough for Dahlin? Well, in 41gp last year he had 20 points in the SHL. He has 19 now, in 34gp

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, WildCard said:

Not gonna name names, but remember when there were some that thought the transition to the NHL, what with a smaller ice, better players, more physical, etc., would be very tough for Dahlin? Well, in 41gp last year he had 20 points in the SHL. He has 19 now, in 34gp

And he's only 18! "giggles like a school girl"

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, French Collection said:

Have you been to the Bobby Orr "Hall of Fame" in Parry Sound? Some neat stuff there.

He's in the conversation with Wayne and Gordie as the GOAT. Injury shortened career keeps him 3rd in many eyes.

Been a while but remember watching that stuff.  PS met Orr’s dad as a kid, guy had huge hands and shoulders as wide as a tree trunk.  But lots of neat videos up there on the point of the harbor.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

For the record. Salming was a very good player for a long time, but not nearly in the same class as Potvin or Lidstrom.

I realize that. I just think Rasmus' style resembles Salming's more than Robinson, Leetch or even Bourque.

I think he will be better than Salming, and hope that is the low end of his spectrum.

12 hours ago, French Collection said:

Please tell me that you were deperately searching for another Sweede and the only one you could remember was Salming?  Good player, but not along the same lines as Potvin, or Lidstrom. (winkie-winkie thingie inserted here).

The Orr talk is really not warranted, IMO.  Orr changed the game in many ways.

I think Potvin, or more likely Lidstrom is a good comparison.  That said, I believe that both of those two were more sound defensively than Rasmus will likely turn out to be, although with work that will be developed and who knows.  I also believe that he will be better offensively than those two.

So, I think what we will see is a very awesome combination of EK and BB.  Unless something drastically goes wrong Rasmus will win multiple Norris Trophies and (be still my hart) in line for a Conn Smythe, or two.

I really think that in less than 5 years he will be the Sabres best overall player, with Jack being a very close 1A.

11 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Please tell me that you were deperately searching for another Sweede and the only one you could remember was Salming?  Good player, but not along the same lines as Potvin, or Lidstrom. (winkie-winkie thingie inserted here).

The Orr talk is really not warranted, IMO.  Orr changed the game in many ways.

I think Potvin, or more likely Lidstrom is a good comparison.  That said, I believe that both of those two were more sound defensively than Rasmus will likely turn out to be, although with work that will be developed and who knows.  I also believe that he will be better offensively than those two.

So, I think what we will see is a very awesome combination of EK and BB.  Unless something drastically goes wrong Rasmus will win multiple Norris Trophies and (be still my hart) in line for a Conn Smythe, or two.

I really think that in less than 5 years he will be the Sabres best overall player, with Jack being a very close 1A.

As I stated in a follow up post, I think he will eclipse Salming. A HHOF career is a great achievement for Borje, he was a great Dman on some lousy teams for a long time. He was a good stickhandler, very elusive with the puck and more physical than he got credit for.

Anyway, Orr is the pinnacle and a Potvin, Lidstrom and Bourque like career is possible for Rasmus.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, French Collection said:

Well, I made what is best described as a detour pilgrimage to Parry Sound.  My friends practice a different religion and sadly were not interested in the time investment the Hall of Fame would require.

I had my picture taken in front of a sign.  “Parry Sound, Home of Bobby Orr”.  I no longer have the picture.  ‘Tis better to have loved, and lost ....

I did drive slowly, reverently, by Orr’s childhood home.

Then, it was off to The French River and Dokis, to slay pickerel, er, yellows, er, walleye.

Edited by Neo

18 hours ago, WildCard said:

Wow, could you imagine what Matt Donovan would be doing on this team!! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Well, I made what is best described as a detour pilgrimage to Parry Sound.  My friends practice a different religion and sadly were not interested in the time investment the Hall of Fame would require.

I had my picture taken in front of a sign.  “Parry Sound, Home of Bobby Orr”.  I no longer have the picture.  ‘Tis better to have loved, and lost ....

I did drive slowly, reverently, by Orr’s childhood home.

Then, it was off to The French River and Dokis, to slay pickerel, er, yellows, er, walleye.

Dokis, my son plays hockey with the Chief's son. Beautiful area.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.