Rasmus Rising: The Ascension of Dahlin

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... really? it wasn't worth Jack Eichel? Quick question, where are the coyotes ranked right now in the league? 

I'm not saying I don't want Eichel on the team.  What I'm saying is that if we don't get Dahlin we're still struggling.  It's not just Dahlin's play; it's the fact that the Sabres finally *won* something.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I'm not saying I don't want Eichel on the team.  What I'm saying is that if we don't get Dahlin we're still struggling.  It's not just Dahlin's play; it's the fact that the Sabres finally *won* something.

I don't agree at all. We won last night because Jack Eichel willed it. 

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm having too much fun to worry about questions like this. It's time to switch off our nerd brains and just enjoy geeking out over how good our guys are. 

Not to mention the talk of the damn tank has resurfaced in Rasmus Rising thread.  I suppose it was inevitable that someone would make the connection.

I thought we had a gentlepersons agreement not to bring up the damn tank anymore since the Sabres are good.

The tank happened for right, or wrong, it no longer matters.  Lets just enjoy the Buffalo Sabres and this awesome season.  Lets just see where we end up and have fun.

Thank you for listening.

Much Love,

NS

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not to mention the talk of the damn tank has resurfaced in Rasmus Rising thread.  I suppose it was inevitable that someone would make the connection.

I thought we had a gentlepersons agreement not to bring up the damn tank anymore since the Sabres are good.

The tank happened for right, or wrong, it no longer matters.  Lets just enjoy the Buffalo Sabres and this awesome season.  Lets just see where we end up and have fun.

Thank you for listening.

Much Love,

NS

ps. it was right

• Haha (+1) 2

Let's move on and talk about young Rasmus Dahlin. I see a lot of comments saying how good he will be at 22 or 23. I think he is going to be amazing at 19 and 20. Just imagine a full offseason of NHL training and mental maturity coupled with being able to reflect on what he learns about the game this season. Idk what Dahlin's ceiling is. I literally do not know. 

• Like (+1) 1

He's bipolar right now.  The plays he makes because of his ability and talent are amazingly awesome.  The plays he makes because of what he thinks his ability and talent are based on his SHL experience, but not accounting for the NHL setting... are amazingly terrifying.  He'll get it sorted out but once in a while he forgets to take the speed and small ice surface of the NHL into account.

I'll often stop the game and rewind 30s just to watch him make a pass or evade a forechecker on a simple play because he's one of those players where you see a play developing and think he has only one option (based on my own playing experience) and then he does something completely different, making a much better play.     My mind doesn't see it in realtime so I have to go back and try to visualize what he saw and figure out why he did what he did even tho most of the time I'm left dumbfounded anyway.    He leaves you with that same sense that he is a special player who just sees the game differently on a completely different level... his ceiling is I don't even know but makes each game must see TV.   

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Pettersson is that good tho... he deserves to win it even if his production tails off... which is likely as the season moves along.     

It is entirely possible Pettersson ends up with around 70-80 points and Dahlin with 40-50.

Best NHL seasons since 2000 by rookie forwards:

Ovechkin (106), Crosby (103), Malkin (85), Barzal (85), Stastny (78), Panarin (77), Kane (72), Gomez (70)

17 other players have topped 60

Best NHL seasons since 2000 by rookie defencemen

Phaneuf (49), Myers (48), Werenski (47), Gostisbehere (46), Butcher (44), Shattenkirk (43), Carle (42)

Four others had 40 exactly.

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's move on and talk about young Rasmus Dahlin. I see a lot of comments saying how good he will be at 22 or 23. I think he is going to be amazing at 19 and 20. Just imagine a full offseason of NHL training and mental maturity coupled with being able to reflect on what he learns about the game this season. Idk what Dahlin's ceiling is. I literally do not know. 

Yes indeed. Generational talent seems an appropriate label.

Only 18 so since I have one of those(my oldest boy) I am aware that they do not reach full growth till often 23. Meaning Rasmus can still get bigger and stronger.  Now I don't know if that might effect his balance and silky smoothness but in his case I hope not.

One area I would like him to practice a bit more is his shot. All hockey players should always work on their shot especially trying out the different stick options that give that player the best result.   

Right now though trending up and sky's the limit.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Huh?  Please show 1 post in this thread saying he won't likely be amazing at 20.  The only reply in this thread posted prior to your comment referring to his play at 23 states that it is likely he will be the Sabres top D-man at 20.

I'm too lazy to try to find the article, but a few years ago Tyler Dellow did some research that pointed to the league's Norris winners all showing signs of being great before the traditional counting numbers caught up. Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, etc. all had terrific underlying numbers early in their careers before anyone considered them among the league's best. Dahlin has the underlying numbers AND the counting numbers. It's hard to overstate how great he's going to be. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

Yes indeed. Generational talent seems an appropriate label.

Only 18 so since I have one of those(my oldest boy) I am aware that they do not reach full growth till often 23. Meaning Rasmus can still get bigger and stronger.  Now I don't know if that might effect his balance and silky smoothness but in his case I hope not.

One area I would like him to practice a bit more is his shot. All hockey players should always work on their shot especially trying out the different stick options that give that player the best result.   

Right now though trending up and sky's the limit.

I’m curious to know what you think you know about his shot training and stick selection regimen...

• Haha (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm too lazy to try to find the article, but a few years ago Tyler Dellow did some research that pointed to the league's Norris winners all showing signs of being great before the traditional counting numbers caught up. Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, etc. all had terrific underlying numbers early in their careers before anyone considered them among the league's best. Dahlin has the underlying numbers AND the counting numbers. It's hard to overstate how great he's going to be. 

God dammit True stop being lazy

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He's bipolar right now.  The plays he makes because of his ability and talent are amazingly awesome.  The plays he makes because of what he thinks his ability and talent are based on his SHL experience, but not accounting for the NHL setting... are amazingly terrifying.  He'll get it sorted out but once in a while he forgets to take the speed and small ice surface of the NHL into account.

Agree 100%.  I think Rasmus needs to bear down on some of his passes.  I think he wants to make the perfect play all the time (which more often than not, he does).  But some times I think he needs to pass the puck, or fire it off the glass, with more velocity.  Also, sometimes getting into a stalemate along the back wall instead of chipping it around the boards is the smart play.  Tie it up, wait for help, rather than giving it away.  All this is real nit-picky.  Looking forward to watching this guy for 15+ years.

11 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Agree 100%.  I think Rasmus needs to bear down on some of his passes.  I think he wants to make the perfect play all the time (which more often than not, he does).  But some times I think he needs to pass the puck, or fire it off the glass, with more velocity.  Also, sometimes getting into a stalemate along the back wall instead of chipping it around the boards is the smart play.  Tie it up, wait for help, rather than giving it away.  All this is real nit-picky.  Looking forward to watching this guy for 15+ years.

While some of his passes are ewwww inspiring, that is a very small portion of them.

Probably the thing he has to work the most on, and this is extremely encouraging because it is probably the easiest skill for a smooth skating D-man, is gap control.  Look at when he has the biggest oof moments.  Quite often they're him getting beat on a play simply because his angle and gap were off slightly.  He'll have that cleaned up relatively soon as he gets used to the angles and the fact that everybody in the NHL can skate.

Then get used to making the safe play when someone gives him a 'buddy pass'.  Clean those 2 up and that's 90% of the handful of oooopses he has any given game.

Probably the easiest stuff to improve on there is.  Knowing how to create space when he controls the puck, no issues there & THAT is what is tough for most guys to do.  The skill set he has is truly impressive.  With his size & skills, Potvin or Robinson isn't out of the question.  (Not even close though to expecting another Orr.  Would be great if he is, but to expect him to lead the league in scoring as a D-man would be a bit of irrational exuberance IMHO.)

And don't get too down when he starts trying to make too fancy passes just because he has to find out where the limit is after he gets the rest of it nailed down.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

... really? it wasn't worth Jack Eichel? Quick question, where are the coyotes ranked right now in the league? 

Ready to win the next Hughes and then offer sheet the hell out of hometown kid Auston Matthews? (thereby getting their two stud centers to build around.... or forcing Toronto into cap hell while losing all their future draft capital)

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m curious to know what you think you know about his shot training and stick selection regimen...

My bad if i made it sound like I know some secret. Nothing specific about his current shot drills or equipment choice either. 

Its a personal observation that he does not have a cannon point shot(yet) and his wrist shot has room for improvement as well (Velocity, quicker release, accuracy).

Given he is still growing and will get stronger I suppose you could call it a Captain obvious reference that he should continue to work at it. 

Last I was watching the NHL channel  and they were reviewing the custom sticks and work players do with the hockey company's.. Bauer sponsors Matthews, Kane, Laine, Toews. CCM does Crosby, Tavares, Ovechkin, McDavid.  Easton was bought out by Bauer and got the players that used those sticks.The company's are willing to work with the Top players to customize the sticks to their liking.

NHL channel reviewed the custom stick Bauer makes for Matthews. he worked with them in the off season and has a stick heavier and a bit thicker than all the new lighter weight ones. They designed the toe fatter and thinner down to the heel. Austin presses down on the blade from toe to heel to flex and load up the stick and add to its whip. Its thought to be a reason his shot is faster, harder and more deadly this year.  Of course he was already uber talented and worked on his shot with the new stick in the off season and his accuracy with that shot is awesome. 

I would like our Rasmus to get the same treatment and use it to his and his teams advantage, that is all.           

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Neo said:

People have mentioned ..

Robert Gordon Orr ...

of Parry Sound, Ontario.

I need a moment.

Have you been to the Bobby Orr "Hall of Fame" in Parry Sound? Some neat stuff there.

He's in the conversation with Wayne and Gordie as the GOAT. Injury shortened career keeps him 3rd in many eyes.

I would be satisfied if Dahlin is like Potvin, Lidstrom or even Salming.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.