Eichel Reinhart Skinner

dudacek

In the 21 games since Nov. 3 versus Ottawa:

Eichel 10/21/31/+14

Reinhart 7/19/26/+17

Skinner 17/5/22/+11

3rd, 16th, and 24th in the league, respectively in points.

Reinhart is 4th in +/-, Skinner 2nd in goals, Eichel 7th in assists

Where do the rank in the league? Among all-time Sabres lines? Should we keep them together?

And what the heck do we call them?

But remember that even Pominville was putting up good numbers when he was on that line.

Long-term, I'd move Reinhart down to the second line and find a young, speedy sniper at RW to make the Skinner-Eichel line the most deadly in the NHL.

And I don't mean to knock Reinhart as a player. I think he's going to be an amazing second-liner for our Cup-contending teams of the very-near future.

3 minutes ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

Long-term, I'd move Reinhart down to the second line and find a young, speedy sniper at RW to make the Skinner-Eichel line the most deadly in the NHL.

And I don't mean to knock Reinhart as a player. I think he's going to be an amazing second-liner for our Cup-contending teams of the very-near future.

I’ve wavered back and forth on this several times.

The chemistry between Jack and Sam on the breakout and the rush is so good.

• Like (+1) 4

The Sabres absolutely should not keep them together.  Pominville must go back to that line.  Reinhart can revive the corpse of Sobotka & and form the man child Thompson into a true top 6 NHLer.  Getting Sobotka's line hitting on a 0.25 gpg pace will more than offset the reduction in scoring of Eichel & Skinner back down to 1.5 gpg. /sarcasm

Just glad that Housley has given them a chance to play together again after breaking them up mid-opening night.  I've felt they'd be capable of being a 2.5 gpg line.  Right now they're exceeding that.  If they can keep it up, they will force the other lines into favorable matchups as they will always get the other team's best D and either top line or top checking line under all circumstances.  Nice to finally be able to force the other team to match the Sabres for a change.

Not sure that that line will always be the Sabres best deployment option, but it is right now.  Having Reinhart on that line rather than Pominville allows Eichel to use the entire offensive zone; with Pominville out there, he stays higher and can't use his full tool set.

As for a name, how about The Flying JJ'S?.  (Jeff Jack Sam)

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

But remember that even Pominville was putting up good numbers when he was on that line.

Pominville was putting up good numbers there when he was fresh.  His production dropped significantly whichis why he was bumped off that line.  In his final 3 game stint with them he only had a single assist.

Same thing happened to him the previous year playing on Eichel's wing.

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In the 21 games since Nov. 3 versus Ottawa:

Eichel 10/21/31/+14

Reinhart 7/19/26/+17

Skinner 17/5/22/+11

3rd, 16th, and 24th in the league, respectively in points.

Reinhart is 4th in +/-, Skinner 2nd in goals, Eichel 7th in assists

Where do the rank in the league? Among all-time Sabres lines? Should we keep them together?

And what the heck do we call them?

I'd LOVE to be able to split them up and have some of their production go to a 2nd line. 

The problem is from what we have seen so far..is when anyone leaves Eichel's line...their production basically disappears. There is no way I'd split up Eichel and Skinner.  If you think Reinhart can give you anything on a different line..then I would do that...because it is likely who you plug on the other win in Sams place will give you some production there.

Tough to rank them against historical lines as they've been together such a short time.  They aren't up with the French Connection nor Andreychuk/May-LaFontaine-Mogilny yet.  Hopefully they get there.  They're in the mix with the Briere line now.  Probably better than that.

Definitely have them behind the MacKinnon line at present andif Bergeron comes back would have them behind those guys too.  Probably about the 6th best line behind TB's & Winnipeg's top lines as well.  (Just don't want to even think about TO's lines.)

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd LOVE to be able to split them up and have some of their production go to a 2nd line. 

The problem is from what we have seen so far..is when anyone leaves Eichel's line...their production basically disappears. There is no way I'd split up Eichel and Skinner.  If you think Reinhart can give you anything on a different line..then I would do that...because it is likely who you plug on the other win in Sams place will give you some production there.

Why break up something that is working.  This is the logic that baffles me.  If your top line is working (see Colorado), don't mess with it.  Eichel finally has a finisher to go with the wall distributor and down in the block ricochet scorer.  I guess, I just don't understand "don't fix what isn't broke", mentality here.  If you ask me, I'd rather see Sobotka with Okposo and a line of Sheary, Mittelstadt, Thompson working together.  A little bit of size and three guys that can skate reasonably well together.  Then you add ______-Sobotka-Okposo which makes sense to me as a third line.  Yes this doesn't really fit a great marriage to Pominville, but at this point it makes more sense to me. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Tough to rank them against historical lines as they've been together such a short time.  They aren't up with the French Connection nor Andreychuk/May-LaFontaine-Mogilny yet.  Hopefully they get there.  They're in the mix with the Briere line now.  Probably better than that.

Definitely have them behind the MacKinnon line at present andif Bergeron comes back would have them behind those guys too.  Probably about the 6th best line behind TB's & Winnipeg's top lines as well.  (Just don't want to even think about TO's lines.)

Might be behind McDavid/Dreisatl and whoever the 3rd dude is...

FWIW, Through a quarter of the season they were ranked 3rd overall in terms of production...unsure where they are now

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

I was in agreement with this until tonight's game.  Sam's passing was key to pretty much all the goals tonight.  These guys are so locked into each other it ain't funny.  DON'T TOUCH THIS LINE RIGHT NOW.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I was in agreement with this until tonight's game.  Sam's passing was key to pretty much all the goals tonight.  These guys are so locked into each other it ain't funny.  DON'T TOUCH THIS LINE RIGHT NOW.

No doubt, but noticed I said "long-term," which to me means next year and beyond.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not touching this line right now.  They are just playing to well together.  Having Sam play with Jack has helped get Jack scoring again.

How long they stay together may depend on Mitts’ development.  If he can become a star with guys like Sheary, Nylander, and or Tage then Sam probably doesn’t need a anchor his own line.

So what should be call them?  With Pommers it could have been the Flying J’s. 

2 guys are from the CHL. 2 guys are 2nd overall picks.  Two guys are the fruit of the tank.  All are top 7 picks.  They were born in different months and different years.  They have different body types and different skill sets.  No idea what to call them 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The Sabres absolutely should not keep them together.  Pominville must go back to that line.  Reinhart can revive the corpse of Sobotka & and form the man child Thompson into a true top 6 NHLer.  Getting Sobotka's line hitting on a 0.25 gpg pace will more than offset the reduction in scoring of Eichel & Skinner back down to 1.5 gpg. /sarcasm

Just glad that Housley has given them a chance to play together again after breaking them up mid-opening night.  I've felt they'd be capable of being a 2.5 gpg line.  Right now they're exceeding that.  If they can keep it up, they will force the other lines into favorable matchups as they will always get the other team's best D and either top line or top checking line under all circumstances.  Nice to finally be able to force the other team to match the Sabres for a change.

Not sure that that line will always be the Sabres best deployment option, but it is right now.  Having Reinhart on that line rather than Pominville allows Eichel to use the entire offensive zone; with Pominville out there, he stays higher and can't use his full tool set.

I think your analysis of how Samson affects the Eichel line is correct, but I don't agree on moving him from it.

Samson took some time to work up into his role on that line, but he's doing very well and there's no reason to change it.  If JBotts has anything to do, it's to leave the Eichel line alone and figure out what to do with the second and third lines. 

I know this is about the top lines, but if we're talking about priorities in offense, I would say lines 1 and 4 should be left alone, they are working perfectly fine.  

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m not touching this line right now.  They are just playing to well together.  Having Sam play with Jack has helped get Jack scoring again.

How long they stay together may depend on Mitts’ development.  If he can become a star with guys like Sheary, Nylander, and or Tage then Sam probably doesn’t need a anchor his own line.

So what should be call them?  With Pommers it could have been the Flying J’s. 

2 guys are from the CHL. 2 guys are 2nd overall picks.  Two guys are the fruit of the tank.  All are top 7 picks.  They were born in different months and different years.  They have different body types and different skill sets.  No idea what to call them 

The Lone Rangers

I think the Pominville Reinhart switch happened Nov 13 against Tampa Bay.

Before Nov. 13 (17 games played)

Pominville 8/7/15/+5

Reinhart 2/10/12/-2

Eichel 4/15/19/0

Skinner 12/7/19/+11

Buffalo 9/6/2

Since Nov. 13 (17 games played)

Pominville 1/2/3/-1

Reinhart 6/14/20/+11

Eichel 10/16/22/+9

Skinner 12/4/16/+8

Buffalo 11/3/3

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the Pominville Reinhart switch happened Nov 13 against Tampa Bay.

Before Nov. 13 (17 games played)

Pominville 8/7/15/+5

Reinhart 2/10/12/-2

Eichel 4/15/19/0

Skinner 12/7/19/+11

Buffalo 9/6/2

Since Nov. 13 (17 games played)

Pominville 1/2/3/-1

Reinhart 6/14/20/+11

Eichel 10/16/22/+9

Skinner 12/4/16/+8

Buffalo 11/3/3

.and so endith the lesson.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.