beyond subscribing for NHL center ice how do you watch games

bills_fan_in_raleigh

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:45 AM, Hank said:

If there's any active duty / retired military out there nhl.tv gives a $50 discount. 

If you opt for the single team option, the discount is $40.60:

Single team price:   $115.99

Military/Student Discount: $40.60

plus taxes depending on your billing zip code

So you are looking at $75.39 plus taxes for single team or $94.99 plus taxes for all games if you qualify for the discount.

Edited by Drunkard

On 12/15/2018 at 7:52 PM, SwampD said:

Just pay for NHL.TV. It’s worth it.

Even with adblockers, those streaming sites suck.

How does NHL.TV compare to Center Ice on cable TV?

I have paid for Center Ice for years, but simply can't take the low def picture quality anymore.  The games look horrible, and the fact that Comcast and/or the NHL hasn't put the games on HD in 2019 is outrageous.  

I have been watching pre-season games on Reddit, which worked fine.

The problem with that is I can't record the games, watch them when I want, and FF through commercials and intermissions.  

Is it possible to do any of those things with NHL.TV?

42 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I have paid for Center Ice for years, but simply can't take the low def picture quality anymore.  The games look horrible, and the fact that Comcast and/or the NHL hasn't put the games on HD in 2019 is outrageous.  

I have been watching pre-season games on Reddit, which worked fine.

The problem with that is I can't record the games, watch them when I want, and FF through commercials and intermissions.  

Is it possible to do any of those things with NHL.TV?

Picture is WAAAAAY better than Center Ice. You don't have to record them and can watch them at any time.

There is one oddity, though, with the AppleTV (not sure if it happens on the Roku yet). There is some time frame where if I start watching the game too much later, by the time I get to the third period, the stream might stop and it says the stream isn't ready or something like that. It's only happened a couple of times. Never does that on the laptop, though. No biggie, you wait a while and then you can watch.

• Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

FWIW and in my experience, HD offerings for NHL Center Ice on DirecTV are vastly superior to those for NHL Center Ice on cable.  Not sure about ATT or FiOS.  You can also choose to watch either the home or away broadcasts (unless, of course, it's on NBCSN or NBC or if the game is in a local blackout area).  And NHL Center Ice on DirecTV includes a subscription to NHL.tv, which is nice.  NHL.tv is all HD, though, and it's easy to pick which broadcasts you want.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

FWIW and in my experience, HD offerings for NHL Center Ice on DirecTV are vastly superior to those for NHL Center Ice on cable.  Not sure about ATT or FiOS.  You can also choose to watch either the home or away broadcasts (unless, of course, it's on NBCSN or NBC or if the game is in a local blackout area).  And NHL Center Ice on DirecTV includes a subscription to NHL.tv, which is nice.  NHL.tv is all HD, though, and it's easy to pick which broadcasts you want.

This. I had Center Ice with Directv for many years and never had an issue with the picture quality. HD picture and choice of home or away feeds for each game. I think any report of poor video quality is more reflective of whomever is the tv provider (Time Warner, Comcast, etc.).

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Recently, I've just wandered out into the nearest pasture and stared blankly at the biggest, steamiest, pile of cow flop I can find for about 2 hours.  It's about the same in terms of entertainment value and it's cheaper.

poop GIF

This is no joke.  For quite a few years now, we have been watching the absolute low point in the history of the Sabres organization.  The games mostly do not rise to the level of sporting entertainment.  I have no idea what new fan would be created by this era of Sabres hockey.  It's terrible.

You combine that with my Center Ice low def picture quality (which looks like a VHS tape from 1986 that has been recorded over 30 times) and it's more than I could take most nights.  

I'm hoping the interjection of HD picture quality into the equation will help.

5 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I'm hoping the interjection of HD picture quality into the equation will help.

I mean, hockey in high def is much better than standard def.  The ability to clearly see puck movement in HD, which used to be very difficult in SD, is alone worth any cost, service, or equipment difference.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2019 at 2:27 PM, IKnowPhysics said:

I have been happy with the HD quality on Fios.

Also, as @IKnowPhysics points out, the subscription to Center Ice on Fios includes nhl.tv, so you can watch the games online or on a roku or similar device if you are away from home (same for the NBA package if you are so inclined).  This is a great perk.

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I have been happy with the HD quality on Fios.

Also, as @IKnowPhysics points out, the subscription to Center Ice on Fios includes nhl.tv, so you can watch the games online or on a roku or similar device if you are away from home (same for the NBA package if you are so inclined).  This is a great perk.

What's the price of center ice on fios?

I cut the cord about 7yrs ago.  Since then I used a variety of not legal sources to watch the games.  Every one I’ve used gets unreliable late in the season and especially during the playoffs. I’m looking for alternatives to reddit etc..  I know that conversation is frowned upon here.  Anyone willing to discuss please PM me.

I’m also woefully behind the times with roku and other devices and how to best get Sabres coverage using alternate sources.  And I am cost sensitive.  Frankly,  when the team is good enough, maybe I’ll value the programming enough to consider what television content costs.  But I doubt it.  I don’t want to hijack this thread about this either so PMd advice regarding alternate means for an in market legal viewing of Sabres games is also appreciated.

thanks.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I’m also woefully behind the times with roku and other devices and how to best get Sabres coverage using alternate sources.  And I am cost sensitive.

In the case of NHL.tv, it's very easy.  You pay for NHL.tv on the web, then you can watch it on your desktop, on your wireless devices, or on your TV.  You need an internet connection (wired or Wi-Fi, depending on the device's capabilities), to watch streaming content.  If you don't have a smart TV you have to buy a streaming device like a Roku stick.

Basically Roku (and I suppose the other streaming options) have a native "web browser" that allows you to load apps for various programming, actually pretty similar to loading an app on your phone.  If you have an active/paid NHL.tv account, you just choose the NHL.tv app log on, and it brings up a menu that you can navigate to the game you want to watch.  If the game is ongoing it will ask if you want to Watch Live or Start from Beginning.  You can also replay the game after it's over.  There are options to watch other video- highlights and interviews and such, basically the same content you can see at the Sabres website.

You don't need a general TV provider to watch NHL.tv.  However national games on NBCSN or whatever require a content provider (like a cable company or Hulu) that has NBCSN as part of their lineup.  With that, you can load the NBC Sports app on your device, log on with your provider's credentials, and start watching.  In my case I have Spectrum for TV and if I try to watch live sports on the Spectrum app, they are often blacked out, but if I load the app for the network (NBC Sports, Fox Sports, ESPN, etc.) on my Roku I can watch it there.  (I they do that so they can run their own ads, and also to show you menu items premium content in an effort to get you to buy an upgrade).

Having said all that..... the real reason I came to this thread was to grouse about NHL.tv.  In August I got an email saying that NHL.tv would auto-renew in September.  I could see preseason games so I figured it auto-renewed.  I went to turn on the Toronto game and..... I didn't have access.  I checked and it never charged my account.  Kind of a pain.

So I went ahead and bought my package and got instant access.  So that part was good at least.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

OK, you're watching the Sabres from out of market.  What about in market?  Is NHL.tv an option?

I think the answer is no.  You need access to local content through a cable company or other provider.

15 hours ago, Weave said:

Which leads me back to...... need a PM for reddit alternatives I guess.

You can get a VPN for relatively cheap that can make your network appear to be out of market and avoid blackouts on NHL.tv. I'm pretty sure @darksabre has mentioned doing this so I'd either shoot him a PM or see if he responds and he can fill you in on how that works.

Does this describe you?

1. In the Buffalo tv market 

2. Have Roku

3. Have Fubo to get MSG (Buffalo feed)

4. Able to watch NBC and NBCSN Sabres games when they are on.

5. Get to watch all Sabres games that way.

My scenario.

I have an older plasma tv (not the smart tv type). I have a newer but still “pre smart” LCD tv.

I have a PS4 hooked to the main living room TV.

If you were me, how would you try to cut the cord without getting my monthly rate to equal my current Spectrum monthly rate of $140?

I heard today that Spectrum will be raising the rates next month. Ugh!

How do I watch the games?

In a pair of mid calf blue and gold snake skin colored cowboy boot print pattern socks, a pistol gun belt with Sabres Logo holster in the front (no tie down for quick draw), and my white with blue ribbon ring Stetson cowboy hat with the words "Hockey Stick Included" embroidered on the front.

Hey, don't judge, the wife likes it ?

I purchased NHL.TV today.  I was an NHL Center Ice subscriber in years past.  The move to NHL.TV is consistent with me dropping cable and going “all streaming” three or four months ago.

I love the extra video content.  Tonight, I’ll see my first game while sitting with a Sazarac in a cocktail lounge.   I’ll be peeking at an iPad.  The app is on my TV as well as my iPhone and iPad,.  I’m also recording on the TV app and will be able to watch the gane in its entirety when I’m home.

$144.99 for one year.

Edited by Neo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.