Berglund suspended, failure to report

G-Daddy

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

As far as things reported by credible sources: the Blues evidently screwed him over, his NTC expired 6/30 and the team traded him before he could submit his list of teams he’d accept a trade to on 7/1.  Buffalo definitely wasn’t on the list.  As far as the specifics of why now and how?  Nothing.  

If he jumped ship because of the circumstances of his trade, how can he ever come back to this team?     How can he ever face his teammates again.  What must the young Swedes who look up to him think about the “Godfather of Swedish Hoxkey.” How can this not be grounds for contract termination?  

As I wrote before this is really a good result for the Sabres.  Once his contract is terminated we get out from under his bad deal.

I can’t believe his agent let this happen.  Losing a guaranteed 13 mill for the remainder of this season and for the next 3 years is beyond stupid.

15 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Slava Kozlov just took one important step up on the most popular former Sabre list if true. At least he somewhat put a shift in until he was traded.  (And he was still a huge d-bag about everything) 

Kozlov will always have a special place as he was the return on the trade of the greatest (yuck) Sabre ever. I have no feelings for Berglund. He's actually doing the Sabres a huge favor. Maybe Sabotka can join him at the parties. 

To be honest, with the HNIC forum comments from Friedman it sounds like it's been an issue since he first arrived.  If they're able to offer an amicable time frame and he agrees to come back to the team, fine.  If not, cut him loose and terminate the contract.  That is what is best for the player and his family if he's that unhappy.  Oddly enough Sobotka has been the better of the two and they play redundant roles on this team.  I'd love to get the term off the books.  That opens up a hole for Elie, and other's that actually are fighting to make the line up.  This team just moved past Toronto for second in the division and is showing renewed confidence night in and out.  If he doesn't want to be here, cut out the malcontent and move on.  

13 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

To be honest, with the HNIC forum comments from Friedman it sounds like it's been an issue since he first arrived.  If they're able to offer an amicable time frame and he agrees to come back to the team, fine.  If not, cut him loose and terminate the contract.  That is what is best for the player and his family if he's that unhappy.  Oddly enough Sobotka has been the better of the two and they play redundant roles on this team.  I'd love to get the term off the books.  That opens up a hole for Elie, and other's that actually are fighting to make the line up.  This team just moved past Toronto for second in the division and is showing renewed confidence night in and out.  If he doesn't want to be here, cut out the malcontent and move on.  

I'll politely disagree with Sabotka being better. Although since Berglund has been out, Vlad has been a slight bit better.

Can’t say for certain until we know more about this, if we ever do. But there may be an important lesson being taught here for this team and it’s new culture.

If Berglund has been pouting and complaining and generally putting himself ahead of the team, Housley and Botterill are making a pretty powerful statement here about how that will not be tolerated.

And I like the fact that they are being tight-lipped about it: speaks again to running a tight ship.

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And I like the fact that they are being tight-lipped about it: speaks again to running a tight ship.

Or it may be just HIPAA.  Seriously.

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If Berglund has been pouting and complaining and generally putting himself ahead of the team, Housley and Botterill are making a pretty powerful statement here about how that will not be tolerated.

Here's the thing though:  Up until he went AWOL, he'd been filling a pretty significant role on the team's 4th line.  If he did that has a malcontent, imagine how he'd do if he were happy?

Chris Johnson on HNIC also mentioned the Sabres would probably give him a chance at a mutually agreed return date, if this cannot be agreed upon then the process to terminate his contract would commence. Both the NHL and NHLPA would be involved and it would be a long process. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Chris Johnson on HNIC also mentioned the Sabres would probably give him a chance at a mutually agreed return date, if this cannot be agreed upon then the process to terminate his contract would commence. Both the NHL and NHLPA would be involved and it would be a long process. 

I will be very surprised if the Sabres end up being able to terminate his contract.

Just now, nfreeman said:

I will be very surprised if the Sabres end up being able to terminate his contract.

I think the Sabre acquired him in good faith, looking for a guy who can score 20 goals.

And that will be their preferred result from this situation. If Berglund is past the point of no return, some kind of negotiated buyout would be more likely than a termination, unless he has become completely self-destructive.

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Not sure what his issue is, but if he had some personal stuff going on (not drugs, not anything self-destructive) and he decides to return, I'd want him back on the team.  I don't have a problem with negotiating a return.  However if that doesn't work out, termination or some kind of buyout would be the only options.

16 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I know a guy that knows a guy, and I was told that he couldn’t stand the amount of Mighty Taco locations in Buffalo. That was a major factor in his disappearance. 

So he would have been fine with being assigned to Rochester?

So i was reading and trying to understand the rules regarding Berglund and if both sides agree to mutually terminate the contract. The cap re-capture penalty would go to the team that offered the contract. If that happens in this case, I think most of Sabreland would get a good chuckle out of that, watching the Blues take back the cap hit.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

So i was reading and trying to understand the rules regarding Berglund and if both sides agree to mutually terminate the contract. The cap re-capture penalty would go to the team that offered the contract. If that happens in this case, I think most of Sabreland would get a good chuckle out of that, watching the Blues take back the cap hit.

Man, that would be something. 

12 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

"The Bergy Strikes Back"

Trade me??????

Eat This Armpit!!!!!!

?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

I wonder what the recapture penalty is. I don't think that contract was heavily front loaded. 

33 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

I think the Blues would trade for his contract before allowing that ever to happen I would think.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't know the recapture rules, but the money nose dives quite a bit after next season:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/patrik-berglund

I know it has to do with how much they save against the cap based on the actual salary. So they saved 850k against the cap last year and then again this year. Not sure how that gets applied. 

On 12/15/2018 at 10:39 AM, nfreeman said:

This is not good.

It seems highly unlikely that the outcome will be that the Sabres are allowed to terminate his contract.

So they'll either be stuck with him and his crappy attitude or have to pay someone in trade to take him off their hands.

And the checking line, which was really quite effective, is probably history.

FFS.  Does he think he should be playing with Eichel?

I don’t understand why you think this contract can’t be terminated.  TB terminated someone for being over weight.  There are clauses in the contract for conduct detrimental to the team and rendering yourself unable to play.  His going awol is both.  

I’m sure the NHLPA would fight a termination and that some kind of settlement could be reached, but TB set a precedent earlier this year and Jbot is going to use it.

• Like (+1) 1