Berglund suspended, failure to report

G-Daddy

7 minutes ago, sabills said:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2018/12/16/18143128/buffalo-sabres-starting-to-get-some-clarity-on-patrik-berglund-suspension

Interesting recap from DBTB on Berglunds stuff. Sounds like termination is an option. Gives a little background on the issues, too. 

Most interesting bits are near the bottom:

For now, all sides are working towards a solution how to move forward. As mentioned in the initial article above the option of terminating the contract is on the table. As well as the option for Berglund to return to the Sabres and continue playing.

Also, from what I’ve been able to gather any rumors on partying being an issue with Berglund appear to be untrue.

Voiding the contract seems like the best option by far. 

I cant see the team wanting him back after all this drama,  how could he face the players?   Very odd in that he showed up without incident and seemed to mentor the young Swedes a bit, then flaked out. 

What kind of player wants to leave this team on the rise?   

To those that think HCPH is soft, he apparently is not afraid to bench veterans that aren’t meeting expectations. 

I'm going to choose to look at this issue positively. Contrary to the idea that is a continuing of the old "culture" I suggest it is more a punctuation point towards the new. No more individuals, no more egos, no more pampering, it's about winning and it's about being a team. Play well and you will play. Play poorly, don't buy in, and you will not play. You don't buy in to that, there's the door. 

Not sure how it plays out, but I doubt we see him skate for the Sabres again.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Stu said:

when Berglund was brought in I thought of him as C2. If he could check the attitude and center a productive line with Some combo of KO Pommer Tage or mitts....it wouldn’t hurt my feelings to welcome him back

That had been my hope at the start of the season.  I’ve always liked him. I had wanted us to draft him years ago when DR chose instead to draft his teammate the great Dennis Persson instead.  

However he looks to slow to play in our system.  It’s very disappointing considering his contract.  I’m surprised this has happened with someone who has the reputation of being a pros pro. 

Its kind of like Pommers quiting on the team. 

I do agree that if he returns and plays hard he the room might forgive him.  The guys have had to know that something has been wrong for a while before the bottom dropped out.

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I cant see the team wanting him back after all this drama,  how could he face the players?   Very odd in that he showed up without incident and seemed to mentor the young Swedes a bit, then flaked out. 

To those that think HCPH is soft, he apparently is not afraid to bench veterans that aren’t meeting expectations. 

Wait....what does it say to the players when a guy with past proven talent and most people here WANT on the team(on the 4th line where he HAS been better than expected) and feels he can be an even greater asset to this team in a higher role, to be treated in this regard?

Was he really given the opportunity for a good sample size to prove himself over let's say Casey for example? Berglund has shown that defensively he wouldn't be a liability by playing on the 4th line but where did he get the chance to prove himself as an offensive threat, playing with Sobotka and(?) ?

In some ways I feel for the guy because I wanted to see him succeed WITH this team and feel if he was given the chance with some good wingers that he could do just that. We are all wanting some increased secondary scoring and a way to shelter Mitts to develop and Berglund could've been the answer at least temporarily. Our Middle 6 aren't providing what we need or want especially with Bergs playing on the 4th line.

With that said.....however the team seems fit to deal with this situation is fine with me. I just wanted to point out that he seems to want to play a bigger role in this teams success, and that can't be all bad. If he's just being a whiney brat then over this NMC crap and list, then good-bye.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Has there been anything out there suggesting that he was helping with the young swedes?  He's not a guy I've paid much attention to and I don't read anywhere near as many of the stories as others around here do, so I have no idea how much truth there might be to that.  The whole thing right now is at a place where so much gets thrown out there now that the last 6 months or so of his life become a blurred mess.

36 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Wait....what does it say to the players when a guy with past proven talent and most people here WANT on the team(on the 4th line where he HAS been better than expected) and feels he can be an even greater asset to this team in a higher role, to be treated in this regard?

Was he really given the opportunity for a good sample size to prove himself over let's say Casey for example? Berglund has shown that defensively he wouldn't be a liability by playing on the 4th line but where did he get the chance to prove himself as an offensive threat, playing with Sobotka and(?) ?

In some ways I feel for the guy because I wanted to see him succeed WITH this team and feel if he was given the chance with some good wingers that he could do just that. We are all wanting some increased secondary scoring and a way to shelter Mitts to develop and Berglund could've been the answer at least temporarily. Our Middle 6 aren't providing what we need or want especially with Bergs playing on the 4th line. 

With that said.....however the team seems fit to deal with this situation is fine with me. I just wanted to point out that he seems to want to play a bigger role in this teams success, and that can't be all bad. If he's just being a whiney brat then over this NMC crap and list, then good-bye.

While I too had hopes for him, it's hard for me to believe that the opportunity wasn't there for him to carve out more of a scoring role.  The team is dying for secondary scoring.  The  lines have been shuffled multiple times.  All he had to do was keep working hard and deliver when they called his number, and he would've gotten plenty of looks in scoring situations.

For that matter, a week or 2 before he went AWOL, he suddenly appeared on the top PP for a few games (and didn't do much as I recall).  Maybe they were trying to appease him after a tantrum?

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

While I too had hopes for him, it's hard for me to believe that the opportunity wasn't there for him to carve out more of a scoring role.  The team is dying for secondary scoring.  The  lines have been shuffled multiple times.  All he had to do was keep working hard and deliver when they called his number, and he would've gotten plenty of looks in scoring situations.

For that matter, a week or 2 before he went AWOL, he suddenly appeared on the top PP for a few games (and didn't do much as I recall).  Maybe they were trying to appease him after a tantrum?

Very limited opportunities and I agree with the work hard to get them.....but then why does everyone want him with Larry and Girgs? It's not for LACK of effort but because he is playing well with them. The line juggling laments to my position of not getting the proper chance with some good wingers on a consistant basis.

We probably will never know the complete story about this and are relegated to guessing what would be best response to the situation. (sigh)

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

Has there been anything out there suggesting that he was helping with the young swedes?  He's not a guy I've paid much attention to and I don't read anywhere near as many of the stories as others around here do, so I have no idea how much truth there might be to that.  The whole thing right now is at a place where so much gets thrown out there now that the last 6 months or so of his life become a blurred mess.

I thought Eichel had said something to that effect back in the fall.

• Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Very limited opportunities and I agree with the work hard to get them.....but then why does everyone want him with Larry and Girgs? It's not for LACK of effort but because he is playing well with them. The line juggling laments to my position of not getting the proper chance with some good wingers on a consistant basis.

We probably will never know the complete story about this and are relegated to guessing what would be best response to the situation. (sigh)

What is the proper chance?  How does one earn it or do you expect him to just get paired with some wingers and see what happens?

These arguments (made by you and others) boil down to the same basic question.  Do you believe the coaching staff is able to evaluate the players on the team or not?  Given all the time together, on the ice and off the ice, they make decisions on who will play best together and secondary spots as well. 

Keep in mind he was put on PP1 and did nothing.

Given the improvement in this team I am more likely to put faith in the coaching staff (and the players who play). Berglund didn't earn his stripes and now he's walked away.  Based on the given evidence perhaps he should have turned in his paperwork (or fire his agent for not doing so).  Either way, he's gone the unprofessional route.

I'd lend credence to a mental issue only if i heard other players saying "He's dealing with some stuff" and other similar things.  Instead you clearly can tell it's more of a "we don't need your drama here".  Eichel's comments and his use of the team motto "All in, all out, all the time." isn't done by accident.  It points to Berglund not buying into the concept.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/gordo-unhappy-berglund-wants-out-of-buffalo/article_01baa75f-5407-5439-862a-6a2948ae3df8.html

interesting tidbit in this column.  It’s has the best description of what happened when Berglund’s NMC converted to a limited NTC.  Apparently Berglund had to deliver his list at the time the clause converted and didn’t.  Therefore Armstrong was free to trade him to us.  So it’s Berglund (and his agent’s) own fault he is in this situation.  

At this point I’m terminating this deal ASAP. I’m no longer waiting until the end of this month.  If you don’t want to be here.  See yeah!  You’ve made yourself impossible to trade.  We could send you down or loan you out, but why keep most of this cap hit for the next 3+ years.  Terminate for conduct detrimental and failure to play and move on.  Even a forced settlement with the NHLPA will likely be cheaper then the current cap hit and will get this cancer off our team.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

What is the proper chance?  How does one earn it or do you expect him to just get paired with some wingers and see what happens?

These arguments (made by you and others) boil down to the same basic question.  Do you believe the coaching staff is able to evaluate the players on the team or not?  Given all the time together, on the ice and off the ice, they make decisions on who will play best together and secondary spots as well. 

Keep in mind he was put on PP1 and did nothing.

Given the improvement in this team I am more likely to put faith in the coaching staff (and the players who play). Berglund didn't earn his stripes and now he's walked away.  Based on the given evidence perhaps he should have turned in his paperwork (or fire his agent for not doing so).  Either way, he's gone the unprofessional route.

I'd lend credence to a mental issue only if i heard other players saying "He's dealing with some stuff" and other similar things.  Instead you clearly can tell it's more of a "we don't need your drama here".  Eichel's comments and his use of the team motto "All in, all out, all the time." isn't done by accident.  It points to Berglund not buying into the concept.

Honestly I don't really care what happens with Berglund....if it were Jack, yes.

The 1st bolded....isn't there a thread dedicated to this with many questioning coaching decisions made along the way? "Houseley should have until end of December" is now on the 2nd page. Has everyone been satisfied with all coaching/management decisions over the years? Or don't you read your own posts either? 

The 2nd bolded....you could say the same about Mitts.

Like I said... I really don't care about this whole thing because I feel it will work its way out and somehow for the better which ever way it goes. Berglund would not be my 1st choice for a 2C any way. The "Hockey Gods" will prevail over this.