Berglund suspended, failure to report

G-Daddy

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Maybe it's not ice time related at all.

Maybe, just maybe, it's a stand against the team's in house dietary apple sauce and peanut butter protein proportion sizes. Maybe Bergy is tired of ERod stealing his portions...…….

Hey, you never know what it is...……...until you do.

Have you seen Erod, he ain't stealing 2nd helpings of anything 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Am I wrong for feeling this isn’t the worst thing to happen for both Berglund and the Sabres?  He can go home, the Sabres get out from under a terrible contract and free cap and a roster spot to add a better forward at the deadline.

Do you think this is the end of his contract with the Sabres?  I do not. 

23 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Have you seen Erod, he ain't stealing 2nd helpings of anything 

It's always the small skinny ones with the hollow legs...…….

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

While I agree. The clock has started ticking. He's not a Sabre come next season is my guess...……

"Culture"

15 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Why is this different then a guy getting his contract terminated for being over weight?  In both cases the player put himself in a situation in which he couldn’t play for his team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

According to Phil on pregame interview.  “He was ill, then it developed into something different”  

He is suspended, and JBots “will handle it”.  

This is total speculation but that immediately reads drugs to me. Either an addiction to painkillers that's spiraling out or something like that. Medical Staff wouldn't report something as a medical issue if it didn't seem.that way at first (which makes me think it was covered up by a nagging injury), and it being taken out of the hands of the coach shows that it's a serious problem. Kinda like HR stepping in to make sure the immediate supervisor isn't liable.

In my life I've seen it time and time again that if someone's performance starts slipping, they have sudden illnesses and stop coming to work, it's drugs. 

21 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

This is total speculation but that immediately reads drugs to me. Either an addiction to painkillers that's spiraling out or something like that. Medical Staff wouldn't report something as a medical issue if it didn't seem.that way at first (which makes me think it was covered up by a nagging injury), and it being taken out of the hands of the coach shows that it's a serious problem. Kinda like HR stepping in to make sure the immediate supervisor isn't liable.

In my life I've seen it time and time again that if someone's performance starts slipping, they have sudden illnesses and stop coming to work, it's drugs. 

That would not warrant a suspension. That would warrant a medical condition, which legally, addiction is classified as. It would be IR for him, if he chose to accept a program. This has already happened in the league.

No, it's not medical, there is something else going on. You don't suspend a player for medical, that effects pay. You do it because of a contract breaching offense.

Just now, Scottysabres said:

No, it's not medical, there is something else going on. You don't suspend a player for medical, that effects pay. You do it because of a contract breaching offense.

Teppo Numinnen says "Hi" 

Apples to oranges comparison, admittedly.  

22 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

Well you may be right.  He was a much better player than what we have seen.   He had 17 goals last year and missed 30+ games.  He had 23 goals the year prior.  In fact, he has three 20+ goal seasons  in eight years  

He is on a 5 or 6 goal pace so maybe he has other problems that need attention. 

Elliott Friedman reported on HNC intermission that Berglund did not submit his paperwork for a modified no trade in time allowing the Blues to trade him before he did and after his full  no trade expired on June 30th.   So it’s quite possible this has been an ongoing battle since the summer.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

That would not warrant a suspension. That would warrant a medical condition, which legally, addiction is classified as. It would be IR for him, if he chose to accept a program. This has already happened in the league.

Maybe not, but refusing to go to rehab might.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Elliott Friedman reported on HNC intermission that Berglund did not submit his paperwork for a modified no trade in time allowing the Blues to trade him before he did and after his full  no trade expired on June 30th.   So it’s quite possible this has been an ongoing battle since the summer.

Interesting.  Did Friedman say he thought Bergy didn’t want to be traded?

10 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Teppo Numinnen says "Hi" 

Came here to make that point.

I had an uneasy feeling about Berglund and Sobotka after Sobotka's comments that he wasn't a bottom 6 player.  I got the sense that both of these guys were much less than happy to be coming to a team that was in shambles at that time and had a group of kids that were obviously going to be given the prime spots in the lineup.

I was a bit surprised that it turns out Berglund was going to be the problem and not Sobotka though.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

Came here to make that point.

I had an uneasy feeling about Berglund and Sobotka after Sobotka's comments that he wasn't a bottom 6 player.  I got the sense that both of these guys were much less than happy to be coming to a team that was in shambles at that time and had a group of kids that were obviously going to be given the prime spots in the lineup.

I was a bit surprised that it turns out Berglund was going to be the problem and not Sobotka though.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Berglund was a third line player with the Blues with 2nd line skills at times. He was always frustrating the fans as he showed top 6 talent, especially in his younger days. 

Sobotka was never a top 6 in St Louis.  Tarasenko, Steen, Oshie, Backes, Stasny, Schwartz ... Berglund and Perron were just under these guys most of the time.  Sobotka is dreaming, he was never top 6 

In the interviews I saw with Berglund he seemed to be fine with his role.  He talked about a recent missed opportunity on an empty net to tie a big game and said he needs to stay focused and these things even out.  The goals will come.  Now he is unfocused which to me points to something else. 

Mid career crisis. A new disease.  I hear it’s going around.  It happens to once skilled players whose skills have deteriorated or lack a skill, such as speed, to compete in today’s game. 

Reseachers have labeled the affliction “Vontae Syndrome.”  In an effort to be thorough they are testing the water in the Bills and Sabres facilities to insure there isn’t an outside cause for the aberrant behavior.