Berglund suspended, failure to report

G-Daddy

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder what the recapture penalty is. I don't think that contract was heavily front loaded. 

Someone posted it someplace (I think it was pertaining to this, but I still need more coffee and chocolate this morning, so I am not sure) that it is $375,000.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
what gives with all the extra letters ...

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t understand why you think this contract can’t be terminated.  TB terminated someone for being over weight.  There are clauses in the contract for conduct detrimental to the team and rendering yourself unable to play.  His going awol is both.  

I’m sure the NHLPA would fight a termination and that some kind of settlement could be reached, but TB set a precedent earlier this year and Jbot is going to use it.

Well, I'm assuming that at some point in the next week or so, he will report rather than walk away from 90% of his expected remaining lifetime earnings.  If he does so, and there are no further incidents, I don't see the Sabres being able to terminate.

If he stays away for an extended period, then I agree that it's likely that the Sabres will be able to terminate.

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I'm assuming that at some point in the next week or so, he will report rather than walk away from 90% of his expected remaining lifetime earnings.  If he does so, and there are no further incidents, I don't see the Sabres being able to terminate.

If he stays away for an extended period, then I agree that it's likely that the Sabres will be able to terminate.

I think it is a fair question as to how long he can stay AWOL before Jbot can terminate.  5 games? 10? More? I don’t know the answer, but I think we are getting close to the threshold.  He has already missed 4 games.  We have 3 more games before Xmas and 6 total remaining in December.  I would think he must return by Jan 1 at the latest.  

Personally, I’d start the process if he isn’t back by the game in Wash on 12/21.

I wonder if we’ll ever see him again in a Sabres uniform.  I think we’d be better off loaning to a team in Sweden for the rest of the season.

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think it is a fair question as to how long he can stay AWOL before Jbot can terminate.  5 games? 10? More? I don’t know the answer, but I think we are getting close to the threshold.  He has already missed 4 games.  We have 3 more games before Xmas and 6 total remaining in December.  I would think he must return by Jan 1 at the latest.  

Personally, I’d start the process if he isn’t back by the game in Wash on 12/21.

I wonder if we’ll ever see him again in a Sabres uniform.  I think we’d be better off loaning to a team in Sweden for the rest of the season.

I hope he's not allowed to come back. This can be a teachable moment for the team. You are with us or you are against us. 

• Like (+1) 1

From The Athletic this AM 

With quotes from Eichel

It’s not yet clear what the end game will be with the Sabres and forward Patrik Berglund. Neither he nor his agent responded to texts, phone calls and emails this weekend after Buffalo suspended him indefinitely for failing to report.

“We’re worried about the guys that are in the room,” Eichel said.

When the Sabres leave their room in Buffalo, they see a sign that reads “All in, all out, all the time.” Berglund is clearly not all in, blindsiding the Sabres with a claim of illness to stay away from the rink.

“From my knowledge talking to the medical staff, he was ill,” Housley said. “Obviously, it developed into something different.”

The Sabres could try to trade Berglund, negotiate a mutual termination of his contract or bring him back in. None will be easy.

The 30-year-old has three more years on his contract with a cap hit of $3.85 million. Buffalo would be selling low as the forward has two goals, two assists and 25 shots in 23 games. None of those numbers would appeal to teams on the trade market.

Because NHL contracts are guaranteed, Berglund wouldn’t want to just tear up a deal that includes more than $10 million of salary coming to him (though he’s not getting paid while suspended). Buffalo could cite breach of contract and try to void the deal, but a fight with the players’ union would likely ensue.

The Sabres could try to alleviate any concerns Berglund has with the organization and/or city, but he would have a lot of explaining to do once he walked back into the dressing room.

“Obviously, he’s not here with us, so that will be dealt with by management,” Eichel said. “Right now we’re just limiting our focus to on ice. The message to the guys in the room was just focus on our task at hand, and that’s playing hockey games.”

• Thanks (+1) 1

I see two potential scenarios:

1) general Berglund douchiness turned into outright insubordination and the Sabres stepped in hard to squash it.

2) genuine Berglund unhappiness turned into a calculated attempt to force the Sabres into giving him what he wants (whatever that is)

If it’s option one, then the Sabres are probably saying “take some time to think about what you’ve done, then get your ass in here, apologize to your teammates and abide by the terms of your contract or we will take steps to void it.”

If it’s option two, then the two parties are probably negotiating a deal of some sort that starts with exploring potential trade options, then progresses to a mutually agreed upon release.

21 minutes ago, inkman said:

I hope he's not allowed to come back. This can be a teachable moment for the team. You are with us or you are against us. 

Generally speaking I’m in complete agreement with you.  The only “excuse” I can see allowing for him to return is some type of mental issue.  Can some be put on permenant IR for a mental breakdown?

@Brawndo, I love the sign from the Sabres dressing room “All in, All out, all the time.”

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

This seems the most likely to me as well.  Not reporting and bad attitude is not trivial and I would like to see the contract terminated, however I think that is more wishful thinking than anything else.  He will come back crawling and begging for forgiveness and the team will be obligated to give him another chance to redeem himself.

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Can we loan him to a team is Siberia?

Or at least the Ontario Reign?

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Someone posted it someplace (I think it was pertaining to this, but I still need more coffee and chocolate this morning, so I am not sure) that it is $375,000.

I read that his contract is not subject to recapture.  It was on HFBoards and the poster quoted the SPC.

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Why does it need to be mutual?  He's in breech of contract right now.  He doesn't have to accept anything.  The Sabres can just terminate him for breech of contract.

With my limited (read: zero) knowledge of contract law it does seem it would be that straightforward, but I doubt it is. Contract stuff, especially in sports, is messy, and just straight up terminating the contract is pretty tough to do.

Honestly, I think the most likely outcome will be a decision on his part to return to the team.  He will decide that being the 13th forward is worth almost $4M per year.  But also, having stepped away from the team and seriously considering alternatives, he will be back in.... ALL IN, ALL OUT, ALL THE TIME with the rest of the Sabres.  The difference will be that previously he never accepted the trade and being a member of the Buffalo Sabres, but going forward it will be the path he decided to choose.

I also wouldn't put it past HCPH to, after all this calms down, move him up to the 2nd or 3rd line the next time the team needs a shakeup.  That is, if Berglund earns it.  *That* I think could be the ultimate teachable moment:  Buy in, give your all, and you will be rewarded.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If I call in sick for work for about a week, but go out partying all the time like it was rumoured he did.   Wouldn't be to hard for my employer to find that out.

Getting me fired is another thing though, Union would step in between if I asked.

But once it was identified, if you continued to stay away from work without permission, they'd can you.

52 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If I call in sick for work for about a week, but go out partying all the time like it was rumoured he did.   Wouldn't be to hard for my employer to find that out.

Getting me fired is another thing though, Union would step in between if I asked.

Where is this coming from?  IMO, not good form to post this stuff here if it just some twitter, or reddit, troll throwing out junk.