Berglund suspended, failure to report

G-Daddy

2 hours ago, ... said:

Agreed.  I can't see how Berglund being suspended is indicative of a "culture" problem within the group.  An individual problem, totally, but a culture problem, no.  Of course, I'm willing to read brief explanations on how this could be a group-wide culture problem.

Allow me to clarify my snark. It's not a shot at the culture of the group, it's a shot at the very notion we have any damn idea what a locker room is like, who is good/bad in it, and how that does/doesn't affect anything on the ice. By every single account Berglund was a great guy to have around. Barring mental health circumstances, the inferences about his character and value in the room were 100% wrong. In short, we shouldn't pretend we know what we don't. 

33 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Barring mental health circumstances, the inferences about his character and value in the room were 100% wrong.

You don't know that.  He might have felt that a shot with the Sabres was a shot to reinvigorate his career.  When it didn't work out like he hoped, he decided to go home.  There may not even be any animosity in his decision.  Just a career move.  If you leave company A in another country to move to company B in your home country, does that mean you have a character flaw?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You don't know that.  He might have felt that a shot with the Sabres was a shot to reinvigorate his career.  When it didn't work out like he hoped, he decided to go home.  There may not even be any animosity in his decision.  Just a career move.  If you leave company A in another country to move to company B in your home country, does that mean you have a character flaw?

There are professional ways to do this, not just stop showing up with zero communication. He chose not to do so. And he's not some 18 year old rookie, he's a seasoned pro who knows better. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

The hair!

71363485.0.jpg

well done sir.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Too many assumptions being made. But why wait for the facts?

I don't think anyone is opposed to adjusting a theory as new facts come in.  Certainly the facts we have are not negligible and not favorable to Bergy.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Probably correct.  But have to believe he put some serious thought into this tantrum.  Not really expecting him back.

Interesting.  The point about this being a fully deliberated act is debatable at least.  But the bolded -- I hadn't gotten that far but since you mentioned it, I think it's probably more than 50/50 that you're right.

1 minute ago, oregelbundet oregelbunden said:

He would not have been suspended if there was anything even remotely indicating a medical issue. Either mental or physical.

That's the way I see it too.  I'm surprised there hasn't been a comment from Berglund or his agent about all this.

I'm starting to believe the "he wants to go home" crowd on this.

4 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

For the purpose of conversation, what should a player do in his situation, assuming usage is his issue?

Obviously step 1 is to work your ass off every night to show everyone you're professional/a good teammate.

Would step 2 be quietly letting management know you feel you might not fit into their plans and would prefer to be moved?

I think those would have been the best two options. 

Disappointing for a 30 year old below average player.  

• Like (+1) 1