GDT: Arizona Coyotes @ Buffalo Sabres 12/13/18 7:00 MSG

Sabel79

45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As you stated, Tennyson back to Amerks is the no brainer.  Hunwick would almost definitely clear waivers, so he should be next one down & IMHO sits in the Press Box until the have 9 healthy D & has to go down.  Definitely there with only 7 healthy.

After that, I'd put Scandella in street clothes until he has whatever issues were affecting his play prior to going on IR are cleared up.  Then when he's 100% sit either Beaulieu or Pilut depending upon the opponent.  IMHO, when all are healthy Nelson is 8 & Hunwickis 9.  I'd put Pilut as 6 (possibly 5 if Marco doesn't get his game back) with Beaulieu as 7 but could definitely see Housley having Beaulieu ahead of Pilut.  If Phil has Beaulieu clearly ahead of Pilut, then send him down to get playing time; but I doubt it is clear cut.  

Real nice problem to have should they ever get fully healthy.  Tennyson was a regular last year & now he is, at best, their 10th D-man and should  Guhle or Borgen have anything to say about it possibly their 12th.

And that play is exhibit 1 (of about 100) why Reinhart should be with Eichel & Skinner rather than Pominville getting that role.

If (big if) Beaulieu continues to play like he did last night they won’t ever get him out of the lineup. He was flying and was one of the best players out there. The fact that he’s a willing participant when things get rough is an added plus. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

They were terrific. Mostly because of the two speedsters. Okposo did have one shift where he went old-man-strong on someone.

When he had the puck and just ran over someone like Earl Campbell?  That was a thing of beauty.

KO was overall very engaged last night.  If his hands could catch up to his legs and heart, it would be great for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

? They just had their best game of the year last night. The Mittelstadt line was excellent against the Coyotes.

I think they've had better games but yeah last night was very good.  I'm not saying it's an urgent problem but up until last night it seemed that the line had stalled.  My idea about plugging Sam into it at RW came before last night's game.

So I rewatched the clip of Okposo yelling from the bench.... turned the volume way up so I could here him over Rayzor.    Okposo asked the guy if he was retarded and then called him a ***** *****.      Honestly, lost a little bit of respect for the guy is he's calling guys retarded.     That's as bad as a racial slur IMO.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

So I rewatched the clip of Okposo yelling from the bench.... turned the volume way up so I could here him over Rayzor.    Okposo asked the guy if he was retarded and then called him a ***** *****.      Honestly, lost a little bit of respect for the guy is he's calling guys retarded.     That's as bad as a racial slur IMO.

Is there a way you can post a link?  I'd like to hear that.

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm not excusing Kyle, but didn't you play college hockey? I know that you know that the stuff hockey players say is atrocious. 

37 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

When he had the puck and just ran over someone like Earl Campbell?  That was a thing of beauty.

KO was overall very engaged last night.  If his hands could catch up to his legs and heart, it would be great for the Sabres.

You could see in his body language on that one Casey set him up in tight that his lack of scoring is getting to him. He also rang that one off the post n the 2-on-1.

The goals will come if he continues playing like that. To my mind he’s played like that for most of the year, just not the past few weeks.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I'm not excusing Kyle, but didn't you play college hockey? I know that you know that the stuff hockey players say is atrocious. 

Yes, the stuff that gets said is ridiculous.     I played my college hockey in the early 90s when it was OK to say anything.    These days you can't use racial slurs, or call somebody a f-a-g or gay or anything homosexual without facing suspension.     I found this out first hand a few years ago, lol.    

Anyway, the "retard" term is used a lot by younger kids and adolescents, so it was surprising to hear that come out of KO's mouth.... Doesn't he do charity work for mentally disabled kids?    What if there was a family of a mentally disabled kid sitting right behind him?   Or heard that on TV like I did?    He's in the public eye and should choose his words more carefully especially when sitting right next to Rayzor with the headset.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Yes, the stuff that gets said is ridiculous.     I played my college hockey in the early 90s when it was OK to say anything.    These days you can't use racial slurs, or call somebody a f-a-g or gay or anything homosexual without facing suspension.     I found this out first hand a few years ago, lol.    

Anyway, the "retard" term is used a lot by younger kids and adolescents, so it was surprising to hear that come out of KO's mouth.... Doesn't he do charity work for mentally disabled kids?    What if there was a family of a mentally disabled kid sitting right behind him?   Or heard that on TV like I did?    He's in the public eye and should choose his words more carefully especially when sitting right next to Rayzor with the headset.  

I completely agree. 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I'm okay with switching things up now and then though, espIcially if lines get stale.  I've been thinking about it as Reino giving Pommer a break from the top line so that Pommer can recharge, but maybe it's the other way around, where Pommer can fill in and produce on that line for stretches to give Reino a break from the top line and use it as an opportunity to develop some secondary scoring. 

At this point I think the KO and Mitts combo is cooling off; next time Pommers moves up to the first line I wouldn't mind seeing Reino take some shifts with Mitts and Sheary.

To the bolded, pretty much everyone will agree with that.

But any modification to that top line, at this point, should IMHO be limited to a "we need to try something different to alter the momentum" of a game in game & that is far down the list of what should be tried to alter the momentum.  Alterations to the PP in game should be far higher up for example.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

15 games in the NHL is a regular?

Day-um, guess it just SEEMED like he was dressed more often than not last year.  Oooops.  Good catch.

Doesn't change the rest of the point that the Sabres finally have an NHL quality D-corp for the 1st time in what seems like a decade.

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

What's the appropriate language when one is pissed?

"You scoundrel you!"

"You rascal! I'll get even with you!"

"You cad, you rogue!"

"How dare you, sir, offend my dignity?"

"Is your brain function impaired?"

Edited by ...
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I could listen to that clip for hours and not discern what he said, other than at least one f-bomb and what sounded like "You ***** scream at me and...?" I think I hear the part that might be "retarded" but I can't tell for sure. Full disclosure: I have a cheap TV with not so good sound.

10 minutes ago, ... said:

I'm fine with KO calling the guy a ***** *****... just stay away from the retard, *****, ***** slanted terms.

For example, instead of "Are you a ***** retard?!"    use something less offensive like "Do you have a learning disability?!"

Edited by pi2000

19 minutes ago, ... said:

"You scoundrel you!"

"You rascal! I'll get even with you!"

"You cad, you rogue!"

"How dare you, sir, offend my dignity?"

"Is your brain function impaired?"

There are a whole bunch of other such examples upthread.  ?

42 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm fine with KO calling the guy a ***** *****... just stay away from the retard, *****, ***** slanted terms.

For example, instead of "Are you a ***** retard?!"    use something less offensive like "Do you have a learning disability?!"

But using the highlighted example, you're still denigrating people with learning disabilities. You're just doing it in a less blunt way. How about this: get the ***** over it and move on to another topic. Guys say nasty things all the time on the "battlefield" that they wouldn't say in polite society. Oh well. By all accounts, KO is an excellent teammate, family man, and leader in the community. I don't care what he says in the heat of battle, something which clearly wasn't intended for anyone off the ice to hear.

Edited by FuhrUrsinne

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.