GDT: Arizona Coyotes @ Buffalo Sabres 12/13/18 7:00 MSG

Sabel79

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Damn, we lost 5 of our last 7 and we’re still a point out of second in the conference and have a 10 point playoff cushion.

We should have tried this 10 game winning streak thing years ago.

Yup...nice to be on the other side of finding out how hard it is to leapfrog a bunch of teams to make up points when there are loser points to be had...

Simply going .500 in points the rest of the way lands us with 92 points at this juncture...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, grinreaper said:

God willing and the Creek don't rise.

River, stay away from my door!

7 hours ago, bg17 said:

The “Risto sucks” crowd does not know what to do with themselves. Disband maybe? The guy has been a machine. Can’t wait to see the next celly. 

Hand up on that one. You’ll find many past posts of mine saying he’s just too low-hockey-IQ to be very good. I do wonder what’s happened. Coaching? Usage? Whatever. We’ll take it!

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

This was the first regulation win we've had since Philly on November 21st

That’s a helluva fact.

Game Notes: 

1. Hutton is without a doubt our #1 goalie
  2. Casey line was dominant and looked and played fast
  3. 4th line with another good game
  4. Our backline is playing better than at anytime in the 2010 era
  5. Is this one of the best Sabres offensively gifted Dmen tandems in a long time if ever. Risto-Dahlin-Pilut-Bogo-Ballou all move the puck effortlessly
  6. The Samson to Jack to Skinner goal was nothing short of outstanding
  7. Are we already spoiled by the skill level on this team in comparison to the last 5 years
  8. Who sits when Scandella, Hunwick and McCabe come back, ok Tennyson is one, who's the other 2??
  9. Do we get 3 players in the all star game?? Jack and Skinner have to be there, Risto?? Dahlin?? Hutton?? 
  10. It's so much fun to be watching and getting excited over Sabre games again.
  • Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Totally unrelated - I really want to see a world where a team has both Panik and Vanek on the same line. Think of the alliteration possibilities!

That would be interesting, but not alliterative. 

(And my post, to continue your theme, is kinda...pedantic!)

Last night was fun, moving down to the 2nd row, having several beverages, I kept yelling at referee #25 that he was my long lost papa, I finally got a chuckle outta him. 

Risto was rolling over everyone last night and it was awesome, OK really put his strength on display as well 

The Sabres did not get a PP (unless you really wanna count that 3 seconds or whatever after the overlap) and I found the game to be pretty clean, just not used to the stripes letting little stuff go. 

Hutton is in such control in the net, goalie swagger! 

I love watching Skinner backcheck and pester almost more than watching him snipe, it's almost as if the opponents don't account for it and Bam, he's lifting your stick from behind. 

Winning is good

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Last night was fun, moving down to the 2nd row, having several beverages, I kept yelling at referee #25 that he was my long lost papa, I finally got a chuckle outta him. 

Risto was rolling over everyone last night and it was awesome, OK really put his strength on display as well 

The Sabres did not get a PP (unless you really wanna count that 3 seconds or whatever after the overlap) and I found the game to be pretty clean, just not used to the stripes letting little stuff go. 

I love watching Skinner backcheck and pester almost more than watching him snipe, it's almost as if the opponents don't account for it and Bam, he's lifting your stick from behind. 

Winning is good

It's good that 'they' did not confiscate your phone yet.

Make sure you make that one call count.  I suggest you call Eleven.  It worked for Cousin Oliver that one time.

35 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Winning is good

Would you believe that the judge suffered a death in the family and so I could have stayed for the whole game after all?!  I'm pissed.  I mean, he's having a much worse day than I am, I'm sure, but I would have loved to stay for the end of that one.

16 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It's good that 'they' did not confiscate your phone yet.

Make sure you make that one call count.  I suggest you call Eleven.  It worked for Cousin Oliver that one time.

Cousin Oliver ended up in FPITA prison for 10 years.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Samson's Flow said:

Totally unrelated - I really want to see a world where a team has both Panik and Vanek on the same line. Think of the alliteration possibilities!

Rick has often said he wanted Malarchuk to give the puck to Hawerchuk and Hawerchuk to Andreychuk back in the day, so he could call — "Here a chuk, there a chuk, everywhere a chuk-chuk." But it never happened.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Rick has often said he wanted Malarchuk to give the puck to Hawerchuk and Hawerchuk to Andreychuk back in the day, so he could call — "Here a chuk, there a chuk, everywhere a chuk-chuk." But it never happened.

I often found myself waiting for him to call the name of that little known 13th forward, Doug Whogivesaf**.

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

And McCabe and Nelson.  

4 of those 5 were thought by many to be marginal NHL players at best and probably not long for the league.  Now 2 of those 4 are rock-solid top-4 guys, the other 2 are legit 3rd pairing guys with skill and the 5th — Risto — is living up to his potential and becoming a star.

And that doesn’t even include the gift we got in the lottery.

Howie is coaching them up.

Yes to all of this, but wasn’t Bergy a healthy scratch?

Separately: what a great “This day in Sabres history” — Schoeny with 3 fights vs the Bruins, including 1 against Orr and 1 in the Zamboni tunnel!  Great footage too.

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Berglund's been ill.

What he said.

The MSG crew was enthralled with the Skinner goal, fawning over the passes on that play.  I'd like to take it back even further, before Reino even touched the puck.  Watch the replay and you will see Goligoski attempting to keep the puck in at the point.  In about a half second's time, Jack tips the dump-in, realizes it's going to Reino, and breaks up ice.  Skinner picked up on it too, an instant later.  That's incredible awareness on their part, and just as impressive that Samson (1) was in a good spot defensively, and (2) recognized what Jack was doing.  All that even before Reinhart even touched the puck.  Then came the pretty passes, but it all started with sound defense on the part of Jack and Sam, and awareness by Jack and Jeff, along with the trust that Reinhart would be able to make the breakout pass.

That's called chemistry, boys.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, jsb said:

Game Notes: 

1. Hutton is without a doubt our #1 goalie
  2. Casey line was dominant and looked and played fast
  3. 4th line with another good game
  4. Our backline is playing better than at anytime in the 2010 era
  5. Is this one of the best Sabres offensively gifted Dmen tandems in a long time if ever. Risto-Dahlin-Pilut-Bogo-Ballou all move the puck effortlessly
  6. The Samson to Jack to Skinner goal was nothing short of outstanding
  7. Are we already spoiled by the skill level on this team in comparison to the last 5 years
  8. Who sits when Scandella, Hunwick and McCabe come back, ok Tennyson is one, who's the other 2??
  9. Do we get 3 players in the all star game?? Jack and Skinner have to be there, Risto?? Dahlin?? Hutton?? 
  10. It's so much fun to be watching and getting excited over Sabre games again.

As you stated, Tennyson back to Amerks is the no brainer.  Hunwick would almost definitely clear waivers, so he should be next one down & IMHO sits in the Press Box until the have 9 healthy D & has to go down.  Definitely there with only 7 healthy.

After that, I'd put Scandella in street clothes until he has whatever issues were affecting his play prior to going on IR are cleared up.  Then when he's 100% sit either Beaulieu or Pilut depending upon the opponent.  IMHO, when all are healthy Nelson is 8 & Hunwickis 9.  I'd put Pilut as 6 (possibly 5 if Marco doesn't get his game back) with Beaulieu as 7 but could definitely see Housley having Beaulieu ahead of Pilut.  If Phil has Beaulieu clearly ahead of Pilut, then send him down to get playing time; but I doubt it is clear cut.  

Real nice problem to have should they ever get fully healthy.  Tennyson was a regular last year & now he is, at best, their 10th D-man and should  Guhle or Borgen have anything to say about it possibly their 12th.

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The MSG crew was enthralled with the Skinner goal, fawning over the passes on that play.  I'd like to take it back even further, before Reino even touched the puck.  Watch the replay and you will see Goligoski attempting to keep the puck in at the point.  In about a half second's time, Jack tips the dump-in, realizes it's going to Reino, and breaks up ice.  Skinner picked up on it too, an instant later.  That's incredible awareness on their part, and just as impressive that Samson (1) was in a good spot defensively, and (2) recognized what Jack was doing.  All that even before Reinhart even touched the puck.  Then came the pretty passes, but it all started with sound defense on the part of Jack and Sam, and awareness by Jack and Jeff, along with the trust that Reinhart would be able to make the breakout pass.

And that play is exhibit 1 (of about 100) why Reinhart should be with Eichel & Skinner rather than Pominville getting that role.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And that play is exhibit 1 (of about 100) why Reinhart should be with Eichel & Skinner rather than Pominville getting that role.

I'm okay with switching things up now and then though, especially if lines get stale.  I've been thinking about it as Reino giving Pommer a break from the top line so that Pommer can recharge, but maybe it's the other way around, where Pommer can fill in and produce on that line for stretches to give Reino a break from the top line and use it as an opportunity to develop some secondary scoring. 

At this point I think the KO and Mitts combo is cooling off; next time Pommers moves up to the first line I wouldn't mind seeing Reino take some shifts with Mitts and Sheary.

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm okay with switching things up now and then though, especially if lines get stale.  I've been thinking about it as Reino giving Pommer a break from the top line so that Pommer can recharge, but maybe it's the other way around, where Pommer can fill in and produce on that line for stretches to give Reino a break from the top line and use it as an opportunity to develop some secondary scoring. 

At this point I think the KO and Mitts combo is cooling off; next time Pommers moves up to the first line I wouldn't mind seeing Reino take some shifts with Mitts and Sheary.

? They just had their best game of the year last night. The Mittelstadt line was excellent against the Coyotes.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

? They just had their best game of the year last night. The Mittelstadt line was excellent against the Coyotes.

They were terrific. Mostly because of the two speedsters. Okposo did have one shift where he went old-man-strong on someone.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.