Matt Hunwick going to Rochester on a Rehab Assignment

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Once he's healthy, Hunwick has to be ahead of Tennyson in the rotation, innit?

Has to be.

I really struggle with Tennyson’s presence on the roster. He’s not even playing regularly in Rochester.

If it’s about who has the best chance of helping the team, Guhle is the one who should be up. Borgen should be ahead of him as well.

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Absolutely.  But hopefully behind Pilut.  (As, IMHO, both Beaulieu & Nelson should also be.)

It will be interesting to see what they do. 

He and Beaulieu each got just over 15 minutes tonight. I think Pilut has more game, but Beaulieu and Nelson have each been pretty effective sharing that 6 role. They’re both + players pacing for more than 20 points.

I think waiver-eligibility wins out and Pilut goes down so we can keep all of our depth defencemen. Makes a lot more sense plugging any of these guys into playoff game as an emergency fill-in than Tennyson.

By the way, Dahlin and Ristolainen combined for 60 minutes tonight.  ?

Edited by dudacek

As for the question of who goes down:  I think it will mostly depend on how Hunwick looks.  If he looks like a solid top-6 NHL defenseman, then Pilut will probably go down.  If he looks worse than that, I think they will send Hunwick down and be perfectly fine if someone takes him and his contract in waivers.

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

As for the question of who goes down:  I think it will mostly depend on how Hunwick looks.  If he looks like a solid top-6 NHL defenseman, then Pilut will probably go down.  If he looks worse than that, I think they will send Hunwick down and be perfectly fine if someone takes him and his contract in waivers.

Makes sense although it depends whats up with the injuries to McCabe, Nelson and Scandella. 

I just read this am McCabe and Nelson still week to week and Scandella skated but wearing white no contact jersey... Surprised we did not IR McCabe and Nelson if they are heading into being out for weeks. So that makes me curious if there are rules on what qualifies and how many players can you IR during the season.  

I don't know if you have been watching much of the last 10-15 games but every team seems to be playing us very Physical (tight checking and lots of hitting). Not sure what narrative is out there about how to play us but it might be that's the formula to beat us, physically.. 

If true I'm not sure we will see many extra Healthy D needing to regularly sit. Right about now that would be a good problem to have...       

2 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

Makes sense although it depends whats up with the injuries to McCabe, Nelson and Scandella. 

I just read this am McCabe and Nelson still week to week and Scandella skated but wearing white no contact jersey... Surprised we did not IR McCabe and Nelson if they are heading into being out for weeks. So that makes me curious if there are rules on what qualifies and how many players can you IR during the season.  

I don't know if you have been watching much of the last 10-15 games but every team seems to be playing us very Physical (tight checking and lots of hitting). Not sure what narrative is out there about how to play us but it might be that's the formula to beat us, physically.. 

If true I'm not sure we will see many extra Healthy D needing to regularly sit. Right about now that would be a good problem to have...       

McCabe & Nelson (& Scandella) are on IR.  Not sure if either or both are on BF-LTIR.  (The only 2 healthy scratches last night were Elie and Berglund.)  Thought the Sabres had A player on BF-LTIR, but not positive who they gave that designation.

Either can be retroactive to the date of an injury.  Regular IR is for a minimum of 7 days & brings no cap relief with the designation.

BF-LTIR is for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games.  It does bring cap relief if the team needs it, essentially up to the rate that player is getting paid, but any banked cap space the team had prior to the BF-LTIR getting invoked gets burned up before the cap space relief is invoked.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

McCabe & Nelson (& Scandella) are on IR.  Not sure if either or both are on BF-LTIR.  (The only 2 healthy scratches last night were Elie and Berglund.)  Thought the Sabres had A player on BF-LTIR, but not positive who they gave that designation.

Either can be retroactive to the date of an injury.  Regular IR is for a minimum of 7 days & brings no cap relief with the designation.

BF-LTIR is for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games.  It does bring cap relief if the team needs it, essentially up to the rate that player is getting paid, but any banked cap space the team had prior to the BF-LTIR getting invoked gets burned up before the cap space relief is invoked.  

Cap Friendly is usually pretty accurate and they have Hunwick on LTIR

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Cap Friendly is usually pretty accurate and they have Hunwick on LTIR

Then, IF the Sabres are over the cap, they'll have to designate somebody else to BF-LTIR very soon or get the cap cleaned up as Hunwick has to come off when his rehab stint is completed.

If they're still clear on cap space, then as Emily Lutella used to say, nevermind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.