A trade proposal so dumb that we should talk about it: P Kane to Buffalo

LGR4GM

I actually don't mind thinking about the idea of acquiring  him but there is no way im giving up all that.

I think the Sabres would be doing the Hawks a favour - it clears tons of cap space for them and allows them to bottom out (aka Tank). Plus, he has a NM Clause and may only waive it to come home to Buffalo.  

I think he should come relatively cheap.

IF during the last year or 2 of his deal, he still looks useful (kind of like Iginla at the end of his run in Calgary), then look at him as a possible rental to add goal scoring for a playoff run.  At this point in time, he's absolutely not what the Sabres should be looking for.

Now, if he could play center ...

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not posting the link but will post the tweet, they clearly want clicks. Don't go to the site. Never go there again. 

Trade is: Patrick Kane for Reinhart, Pommers, Ukka-Pekka Lukkonnen, Brendan Guhle, Victor Olofsson, and 3 first round picks. (Buffalo's first this year, SJS pick this year, and then STL Blues pick next year).

I will never go to the Hockey News again for anything. The fact the rest of the people didn't immediately call this trade absolute garbage is shocking. Discuss. 

That is the worst trade idea in the history of trade ideas.  Reinhart is ranked 3rd on the team in scoring, so giving up so many assets for Kane doesn't fix the Sabres lack of 2nd hand scoring. Kane is also 10.5 AVV for the next 4 years until he is 35.  Not sure he is going to live up to that deal. 

I would do a deal that involves KO, Thompson, Guhle (both youthful D and F), and a 1st.  But that's it.  Anything more is absolutely ridiculous to consider at his salary.   Must be a Hawks fan.

Edited by dejeanerret

I'll take Saad as a cap dump.  He's 26 and has 3 years left on his deal at $6 mill per season.  He isn't a 60 pt scorer in Chicago right now, but he has playoff experience and plays a solid game.  Not sure how we'd make the numbers work.  They'd have to take something back from us, but it could work.

I can't believe I am making a serious post in this thread, but ...

IMO, the Hawks would sooner trade Taves than Kane.  Not sure what it would take to get him, but it would be less than Kane, IMO.

The Sabres could use Taves a lot more than Kane.  I still think Taves is a very good second line centre at this point and a veteran leader.

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I can't believe I am making a serious post in this thread, but ...

IMO, the Hawks would sooner trade Taves than Kane.  Not sure what it would take to get him, but it would be less than Kane, IMO.

The Sabres could use Taves a lot more than Kane.  I still think Taves is a very good second line centre at this point and a veteran leader.

this may be true but there is no way Toews (im assuming this is who you mean) is waiving his no-movement clause to come to the Sabres. There would be a possibility of Kane doing so.

Lebrun on Insider Trading was talking about the Hawks and said a Kane / Toews are legacy players, they will only be traded if they go to mgmt and ask to be traded. If this were to happen it wouldn't be until summer.

Case closed for now.

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

this may be true but there is no way Toews (im assuming this is who you mean) is waiving his no-movement clause to come to the Sabres. There would be a possibility of Kane doing so.

Lebrun on Insider Trading was talking about the Hawks and said a Kane / Toews are legacy players, they will only be traded if they go to mgmt and ask to be traded. If this were to happen it wouldn't be until summer.

Case closed for now.

Yes.  Toews is who I mean.

I'm not so sure that he would not waive to come to the Sabres.  He may be willing to be moved to a team on the rise that he sees the chance at another cup with.  On the other hand, I do believe that he is a good soldier and very loyal to the the Hawks, where Kane may not be as loyal.  I do agree that any trade would be in the offseason.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am trying to think of what would convince Botterill to bring in Patrick Kane while sending out a boatload of younger assets... and I honestly can't think of anything. 

JBOT does not operate that way, at least up to now.  A slow and steady rebuild.  A trade for Kane smacks of either desparation, or a team that is on the brink and needs that one piece to shove them over the top.  The Sabres are neither right now.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am trying to think of what would convince Botterill to bring in Patrick Kane while sending out a boatload of younger assets... and I honestly can't think of anything. 

There is none.  If this writer has followed anything Jbot has done as the Sabres GM they would see measured moves and opportunitistic moves.  Skinner, Scandella and Sheary were opportunistic, while Kane and O’Reilly were measured decisions making the best out of bad situations.  

I don’t see how acquiring Kane and giving up the future of the Sabres fits with Jbot’s modus operandi.   Kane’s age alone stops this deal.  Kane’s salary and off the ice conduct also stops this deal.  

That said, I can see a situation where Reinhart and Guhle could eventually end up in trades, but not for Kane and not now.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

JBOT does not operate that way, at least up to now.  A slow and steady rebuild.  A trade for Kane smacks of either desparation, or a team that is on the brink and needs that one piece to shove them over the top.  The Sabres are neither right now.

It would take a hell of a lot of creativity to make a salary like Kane's work with this team longterm.  That's not the kind of guy they'll be looking at.  But that's not to say you don't move a prospect or pick here or there to add a piece.  Let's not forget that this team moved out a marginal prospect (Pu) and 3 picks (2nd, 3rd, 6th round) for Skinner.  That's the kind of deal they're going to make if/when they do something.  It won't be someone of the level of Skinner in return, but those are the kind of pieces you'll see in play from the Sabre end.  If they do trade a first, it's going to have to be for someone with term remaining on their contract.  It's hardly sacrificing the future.

I'm not sure I want him at all with that 10.5 million dollar hit for the next 4 years after this year.   Would he make this team better on the ice? Yeah, sure, for this year and next year for sure. But that contract in 2-3 years from now...if he starts to slow down even a little bit...that contract may be the thing that keeps you from being a true contender in a couple years.

Any deal for him would just START with the Hawks taking Berglund and his deal..and that just slightly softens the contract hit that comes with Kane.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There is none.  If this writer has followed anything Jbot has done as the Sabres GM they would see measured moves and opportunitistic moves.  Skinner, Scandella and Sheary were opportunistic, while Kane and O’Reilly were measured decisions making the best out of bad situations.  

I don’t see how acquiring Kane and giving up the future of the Sabres fits with Jbot’s modus operandi.   Kane’s age alone stops this deal.  Kane’s salary and off the ice conduct also stops this deal.  

That said, I can see a situation where Reinhart and Guhle could eventually end up in trades, but not for Kane and not now.

Guys, the writer is Ken friggin' Campbell.  To put it kindly, the man is an idiot.  (Yes, he's the "senior writer" for THN.  The title doesn't goose his IQ any but, if anything, it does make his effort on his columns lessen.)

He has roughly as much credibility as Eklund.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Guys, the writer is Ken friggin' Campbell.  To put it kindly, the man is an idiot.  (Yes, he's the "senior writer" for THN.  The title doesn't goose his IQ any but, if anything, it does make his effort on his columns lessen.)

He has roughly as much credibility as Eklund.

That trade doesn't seem like anything an NHL writer of any kind would come up with.  That seems like something only the most hard-core Blackhawks fan could dream up...and a fan that over-rates his own players more than just about anyone else in that city.  Proposing a trade like that is something that would get you laughed off of a talk show in any city in the league.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.