GDT - LA Kings @ Buffalo Sabres - 12/11/18 7PM MSG

LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Interesting.

Hockey players are still as advertised, I suppose.

I reckon they mostly know when they're playing well, or poorly.

Still surprises me. I guess it shouldn't.

The upshot: The kid from Eden likely has a sense that he played a solid game last night - came out a little ahead on chances for than against when he was on the ice. The basic metrics corroborate as much. (That's the whole idea, after all.)

I just think they serve no purpose to players (actually, I kinda think they only serve gamblers), because they offer no suggestions on how to make them better.

EDIT: Okay, I guess they can help coaches, to a point, as well.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I just think they serve no purpose to players (actually, I kinda think they only serve gamblers), because they offer no suggestions on how to make them better.

Interesting.

I try to be judicious in citing to basic advanced stats like Corsi and Fenwick because, I am advised, the people who trade in #fancystats have moved so, so far past those metrics. It seems like dropping knowledge about cassette tapes in connection with songs being beamed to a Bluetooth speaker.

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Interesting.

Hockey players are still as advertised, I suppose.

I reckon they mostly know when they're playing well, or poorly.

Still surprises me. I guess it shouldn't.

The upshot: The kid from Eden likely has a sense that he played a solid game last night - came out a little ahead on chances for than against when he was on the ice. The basic metrics corroborate as much. (That's the whole idea, after all.)

Not sure it's just hockey players. I don't think any athlete pays attention to their advanced stats. It bogs them down with useless information and they become too focused on a minor part of their game to better their stats.

https://www.tsn.ca/why-nhlers-hate-analytics-1.862980

It was TSN actually. I remembered it because Eichel was in there

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, shrader said:

That's exactly what it is.  They've already got Dahlin and Pilut out there.  They don't want to throw out a lineup where 50% of the defensemen are rookies.  And even though Dahlin is the budding superstar, there's the lack of experience.

I think you're right, I'll just never understand it. It's okay to be terrible so long as you have a history of being terrible. Why is a rookie who is going to make mistakes so much worse than a veteran who is going to make just as many? Coaches, man, I tell ya. 

19 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

And for whatever it's worth, hockey players talk about analytics all the time, they just don't use the explicit language. Generating more shots (shot share), getting to the dirty areas (high danger shot areas), etc. 

It's like that in every single walk of life.  Doctors will tell someone that they are at a high risk of developing diabetes.  They wo't know how to change that number itself, but they can focus on the individual components like dieting or exercise.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Interesting.

I try to be judicious in citing to basic advanced stats like Corsi and Fenwick because, I am advised, the people who trade in #fancystats have moved so, so far past those metrics. It seems like dropping knowledge about cassette tapes in connection with songs being beamed to a Bluetooth speaker.

If the mother of all fancystats is junk, why should I care about the rest?

35 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

And for whatever it's worth, hockey players talk about analytics all the time, they just don't use the explicit language. Generating more shots (shot share), getting to the dirty areas (high danger shot areas), etc. 

They've been talking about that since 1917! And someone was counting them. Every generation...

15 hours ago, darksabre said:

I think you're getting hung up on a logical fallacy. The only person he could have been talking to there was Pilut. The LA player was ineligible to move the puck. 

Ya. It was ok for the official to tell Pilut to play it, but it was also ok for Pilut to not. Kind of an unfortunate play. 

14 hours ago, WildCard said:

Name another defenseman that does this

Can't think of one who does. There's one this reminds me of who did. 

Honestly, this play reminds me of the Bobby Orr highlights I've seen. It looks like someone playing keep away without trying.

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

Umm, guys.  That was the stuff Housley used to do on a regulat basis.

That, and pass Shane Corson the puck.

Correct on Housley.  Both times. 

+++++

It's game day.

Weave, your up.  Start the GDT.

I already asked MODO, so at this rate who knows how many will have to be merged.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.