GDT - LA Kings @ Buffalo Sabres - 12/11/18 7PM MSG

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yup.

Poor Pilut, who is new to the NHL, made the mistake of listening to the ref. His teammates were anticipating the play to be blown dead and then he touches the puck and rings it up the boards catching everyone off guard. The Kings subsequently score. 

That ref should be penalized by the league for not knowing the rules. That play should have been blown dead. 

But the spirit of that section in the rulebook is to enforce continuous action. I don't think there's anything wrong with the ref encouraging play to continue before blowing the whistle. The problem I think was an unfortunate use of words — "bud" in Buffalo.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

But the spirit of that section in the rulebook is to enforce continuous action. I don't think there's anything wrong with the ref encouraging play to continue before blowing the whistle. The problem I think was an unfortunate use of words — "bud" in Buffalo.

I think you're getting hung up on a logical fallacy. The only person he could have been talking to there was Pilut. The LA player was ineligible to move the puck. 

9 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Ghule is finally done pouting not making the team this year and is playing well... not sure he is the best option yet... Tennyson at least has some NHL experience, but yeh he is  garbage.

That's exactly what it is.  They've already got Dahlin and Pilut out there.  They don't want to throw out a lineup where 50% of the defensemen are rookies.  And even though Dahlin is the budding superstar, there's the lack of experience.

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I decided to pull a Flagg and watch and pay attention every time Sobotka had the puck on his stick. Outside of faceoffs, Sobotka is where the offense goes to die. He is sound positionaly on defense but that's it. He needs less ice time not more and seeing him out their in the 3rd was brutal. 

Also, take Okposo from Mitts and give him Reinhart. Casey I still think needs to sit for a couple of games. It is clear moving too fast for him and he is just focused on his defense. That's not a bad thing but we need him to create and he really isn't.

Pilut... he's clever and crafty. 

Dahlin, heard this on WGR, this is the worst we will see Dahlin play... wowser. 

Zemgus deserved a star last night. He was great and I wish that is the player we got every night. 

Jack Eichel... he's tied for 9th in points and tied for 16th in ppg. Sh% has rebounded from a low of 5.1 up to 7.2% and he has goals in the last 3 games. Still he can't do it alone. 

Good post - each and every point.

Next season, Mittlestadt's further development (fingers crossed) will be a big reason that the team takes a step forward. He's having a helluva time right now.

My game notes:

- Dahlin is becoming a force of nature.

- The Sabres could easily have lost that game, and could easily fall out of the playoff picture.  They need 2ndary scoring and they need to get the PP going to avoid that outcome.

- Peterson looked pretty good.  He could certainly end up being better than Ullmark -- although Linus looked pretty good too.

- Bogo's Carrubba Collision was great.  You don't often see huge hip checks behind the net like that. 

- Reino made a great pass in the 1st period to Jack across the ice on a 3-on-2 for a 1-timer that almost cashed. 

- Risto is also coming into his own.  He's more confident and more physically assertive in pretty much all situations.  I really liked him standing up for Pilut when Phaneuf cheap-shotted him (and I also liked Pilut's retaliatory shove on Phaneuf).

- I'm very close to concluding that Pilut is better than Beaulieu and Nelson and therefore can't be sent down.

- The Sabres are getting absolutely zero from Mitts, KO, Sobotka, Pommer and TT.  The entire middle 6, other than Sheary IMHO, is a vast wasteland of suckitude.

- Gotta give Dunleavy credit for "Jeff Skinner, overtime winner!"

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

- Bogo's Carrubba Collision was great.  You don't often see huge hip checks behind the net like that. 

Did the kid from Eden get the bad end of that hit? If so, I felt badly, as you KNOW that ~75% of his town was in the arena to see him. He can take solace from the assist he got on the first goal, and the fact that he was one of the few Kings players who had a positive Corsi.

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Did the kid from Eden get the bad end of that hit? If so, I felt badly, as you KNOW that ~75% of his town was in the arena to see him. He can take solace from the assist he got on the first goal, and the fact that he was one of the few Kings players who had a positive Corsi.

I would bet that not only would someone have to inform him of that, but they would also then have to explain to him what it is.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, jsb said:

Thoughts on the game:

1. Eichel is playing as well or better than he ever has
  2. Skinner is just a PITA in front of the net
  3. The rookies Dahlin, Pilot, Casey, Thompson (he's only played 65 games in his career he's still a rookie), Ullmark kick the skill level on this team up to a higher level than it's been in a long time, having said that they are all making rookie mistakes that will eventually go away, be patient brothers and sisters, be patient
  4. Dahlin has otherworldly skills especially for a Dman. Wow, nothing short of WOW moments
  5. Girgensons must be overly aggressive with Mrs. Pegula, no other reason he's not a mainstay on that 4th line, brings energy every game
  6. I know some of you guys hate Bogosian, but I just don't get it, he brings veteran leadership to the backend
  7. Coach Smith may be the steal of the year for this team
  8. The Dmen are light years ahead of where we were the past few seasons, just night and day
  9. Phil find out who coached the PP for disco Dan and bring him back, immediately
  10. Larsson scored a goal, Larsson scored a goal, nothing short of a Bucky Dent moment
  11. We won't win the cup this year but POINTS against anybody is a good thing for this team. Trust me on this, it's a good thing

Lots of good points, but to the bold, the leadership and maturity Bogosian has been showing on the ice this year is something to behold. His ratio of good plays to bad plays used to be 50/50 but he has dramatically reduced his overcommitment errors and a majority of his decisions have been excellent. He is swallowing guys up, keeping the crease clean and helping move the puck. He also has everyone’s back and helps us be a team. He has been a truck back there, heavy and reliable and exactly what a contender needs on its second pairing.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Next season, Mittlestadt's further development (fingers crossed) will be a big reason that the team takes a step forward. He's having a helluva time right now.

Its interesting how our middle six consists of three established veterans who have shown they can still play, but are obviously in decline (Okposo, Pominville Berglund) , two very talented kids who flash excellent skills but obviously have a long way to go (Casey and Tage) and one decent guy in his prime (Sheary). They all can contribute under the right circumstances, but they all need to play with a stronger player who can elevate their play and carry them through the rough patches.

That’s why replacing Sobotka with a legitimate 2nd line centre should be priority one, and why the top line needs to be broken up for the time being.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Name another defenseman that does this

He had the puck for nearly 20 seconds and skated nearly 300 feet. ?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can't call that one a hip check.  It was the ever so rare butt check.  I can't even remember seeing a scenario where that kind of hit was possible, let alone one where the hit actually happened.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I would bet that not only would someone have to inform him of that, but they would also then have to explain to him what it is.

Given that a player's on-ice SAT metrics are a significant factor/predictor in their ability to stay in the league and get paid, I'd bet dollars to donuts that players know how they're doing in that regard. If nothing else, their agents would keep them up to speed.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Given that a player's on-ice SAT metrics are a significant factor/predictor in their ability to stay in the league and get paid, I'd bet dollars to donuts that players know how they're doing in that regard. If nothing else, their agents would keep them up to speed.

ESPN did an article interviewing players on this. They don't pay attention to/hate advanced stats 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't believe this.

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

ESPN did an article interviewing players on this. They don't pay attention to/hate advanced stats 

I believe this.

10 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh didn't mean it that way... but he is playing way over his head at this point in his game.... doesn't have the speed or the ice awareness to execute today's game and not enough nasty either.  He has bounced around and saw him play for the Kings earlier in his career not sure when and he had a bit more going for him then.  Just not an NHL level player at this point in his career and over his head... No he doesn't make mistake positionally, but doesn't have it at this level anymore... what I see Nelson being in a few years, ok defender when younger but when your legs slow down and you aren't that fast to begin with... I  understand why the Sabres brought him up... experienced and unlikely to be claimed if sent down again and not a huge loss given their long range plans if he is claimed... would rather have Redmond called up, but he would probably be claimed given all the injuries throughout the league on the back end... so there is that.  But not sure if he gives the Sabres enough to justify bringing him up... 

9 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think Redmond is on a one-way contract and can't be called up.

Close.  He's on an AHL contract.  In order for the Sabres to bring him up, they would have to sign him, but they are already at 48 (of 50 allowable) contracts so he won't be coming up any time soon.

Conversely, any other NHL team could sign him to a deal if they really wanted him.  He's essentially on the NHL contractual eqivalent to the NFL's practice squad.

But, not positive of the mechanics on another team trying to sign him now that we're past December 1.

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Close.  He's on an AHL contract.  In order for the Sabres to bring him up, they would have to sign him, but they are already at 48 (of 50 allowable) contracts so he won't be coming up any time soon.

Conversely, any other NHL team could sign him to a deal if they really wanted him.  He's essentially on the NHL contractual eqivalent to the NFL's practice squad.

But, not positive of the mechanics on another team trying to sign him now that we're past December 1.

Do you know what rules exist for the termination of the existing AHL contract? That has to happen in some form in order to jump to the NHL but I can’t quickly find any explanation of the process. I don’t know if any AHL CBA outlines specifics for that process. 

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

Do you know what rules exist for the termination of the existing AHL contract? That has to happen in some form in order to jump to the NHL but I can’t quickly find any explanation of the process. I don’t know if any AHL CBA outlines specifics for that process. 

Haven't ever looked into that.  My understanding was that the contracts are set up such that the player can simply void the AHL deal if an NHL deal comes along.  But no data on the mechanics of how it is accomplished.  Sorry.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Haven't ever looked into that.  My understanding was that the contracts are set up such that the player can simply void the AHL deal if an NHL deal comes along.  But no data on the mechanics of how it is accomplished.  Sorry.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to structure a contract that is more difficult to void than others.  This might be something I'll have to dig around for when I have a little free time.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Interesting.

Hockey players are still as advertised, I suppose.

I reckon they mostly know when they're playing well, or poorly.

Still surprises me. I guess it shouldn't.

The upshot: The kid from Eden likely has a sense that he played a solid game last night - came out a little ahead on chances for than against when he was on the ice. The basic metrics corroborate as much. (That's the whole idea, after all.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.