Practice Report: Monday, 12-10-2018

WildCard

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

This is why I believe 

Interesting tidbit... I came across Ryan's article on Eichel's usage on the power play and realized that he was an assistant coach on my son's team last year.  He's a really good guy and it's great to see him writing about this stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.nhl.com/video/recap-phi-6-buf-2/t-277753022/c-63768403

Go to the 3:10 mark..... you're probably gonna vomit, but it's best to just do that some times.... 

I'm not sure who messed up. I'm thinking 72. But I do like his firepower.

What we've seen of Pilut, I like.... just wish he had 15 more lbs. on his bones.

Edited by hsif

4 minutes ago, hsif said:

https://www.nhl.com/video/recap-phi-6-buf-2/t-277753022/c-63768403

Go to the 3:10 mark..... you're probably gonna vomit, but it's best to just do that some times.... 

I'm not sure who messed up. I'm thinking 72. But I do like his firepower.

1st PHI goal: That was Pilut's man on the FO, but Thompson could've reacted better on his way out to the point.   Also, clean loss on the dot for Larsson.    Ullmark was on the goal line, could've challenged better... so mainly Pilut and Ullmark to blame, they'll learn from that, young rookies I give them a pass.

2nd PHI goal: Eichel not competing hard enough on the puck in the corner, gives too much time and space to the PHI player.   Larsson makes a bad read and doesn't see Provorov sneaking down behind him... Larsson is staring at the puck then curls the wrong way... brutal brutal play by him, he's a vet, shouldn't happen.    Lazy defense.   Also, Ullmark was off his angle and too deep in the net. 

3rd PHI goal: Entirely on Reinhart.   WTF was that pass?   Much too casual.   Also Risto needs to challenge the shooter a bit more on the 2-on-1... don't completely commit to the shooter, but make some attempt to get stick on puck especially at the hash marks.     Low hockey IQ again.     Also, Ullmark too deep in his net again, Giroux noticed and fired over his shoulder before he got in too tight.    

4th PHI goal: Lazy defense by Okposo, just waives his stick at the puck carrier instead of engaging him... Bogo whacking at the puck instead of locking up the PHI player.   Need a stop from goalie their too.    Ongoing theme of lazy defensive play continues.

5th PHI goal:  Brutally lazy defense by Eichel and Reinhart.   THey just wave sticks at the PHI player as he enters the zone.    Eichel curls off his man before BUF gains possession, Reinhart spectates.     I don't blame Tennyson here, he made an effort unlike his teammates.

6th PHI goal:  Awful gap control by Risto, he backs in way to far giving the PHI player time and space to make a nice play.     Then Risto decides to step up but after he let his man release.    That was Pilut's man to step up on, not Risto... again low hockey IQ.      And Okposo spectates as his man taps it home... He needs to lock up there... that's an easy play for a seasoned vet like himself.   

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

Watching Detorit and La right now. 

LA has had the better play, Shots on goal and zone time but Detroit is leading 2-0. Cashing in their chances while Howard has shut the door.

Detroit is the faster team and that new style a lot of teams are using appears what LA is struggling with. 

15 hours ago, pi2000 said:

3rd PHI goal: Entirely on Reinhart.   WTF was that pass?   Much too casual.   Also Risto needs to challenge the shooter a bit more on the 2-on-1... don't completely commit to the shooter, but make some attempt to get stick on puck especially at the hash marks.     Low hockey IQ again.     Also, Ullmark too deep in his net again, Giroux noticed and fired over his shoulder before he got in too tight.    

I would have thought that the mistake was having 4 Sabres that deep in the O zone......

and in the 2-1 (or 3-1) break away situation, I would want the defender to take away the pass leaving the goalie to focus on the puck possessor .....

No? 

6 hours ago, hsif said:

I would have thought that the mistake was having 4 Sabres that deep in the O zone......

and in the 2-1 (or 3-1) break away situation, I would want the defender to take away the pass leaving the goalie to focus on the puck possessor .....

No? 

Reinhart needs to recognize the situation and not make a lazy blind backhand pass attempt.     That was a "hope" pass.    He had time to handle the puck and setup.    The Sabre's like their D to attack the net.. they did.    Reinhart was out to lunch.

On the odd man rush, sure the defender initially needs to take away the pass but if the puck carrier attacks the center of the ice you need to defend him and not let him get off an uncontested shot from the slot.    

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Reinhart needs to recognize the situation and not make a lazy blind backhand pass attempt.     That was a "hope" pass.    He had time to handle the puck and setup.    The Sabre's like their D to attack the net.. they did.    Reinhart was out to lunch.   

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the thought process behind that pass. Risto was open at the point. The lane was clear to get the puck to him using a bank. Reinhart was pulling the checkers south and moving the puck back against the grain into the space he had created. It’s a good play that happens on virtually every power play.

What was wrong about it was the execution. It was a soft floater that was so weak it barely bounced. Sam needed to make the play with some authority. He made several weak passes like that against Philly and really typified the lack of respect we gave the Flyers after the first 10 or 15 minutes.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.