Practice Report: Monday, 12-10-2018

WildCard

43 minutes ago, WildCard said:

About as good a set of combinations as they're going to get with 3D out and no trades on the horizon.  Hoping that if the 4th line will be a permutation of the 4 guys running there today that Rodrigues is the spare.

30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Pilut on the 2nd PP

Would prefer both PPs to run 4F-1D with Ristolainen being the odd man out.  But these will be interesting and can't work any worse than what they've been running.

Edited by Taro T

"FOURTH LINE"?

Since I am not a hockey fan per se I only follow the Sabres I have no real concept of who the new players on the team are and how they fit in to the overall plan... What are #10 and #17 suppose to do for the team? Second-line-centres???? Can't be! Can it? #17 can win faceoffs...

But I do like what the media call the "Fourth Line". Except for me the line consists of 28 and 22 and 81. They can check and they can hit and if they stayed together for any length of time they would score too.

#28 was not in the lineup last game! I'm thinking as the second period looks as if the Flyers are, well, flying... Giroux will get a goal and an assist but maybe we can get a third goal for a win?! Giroux gets 1 goal and 3 assists! I was correct!

Over the years it is usually the other teams stars that do the damage against the Sabres when they have lost (which of course, has been very often). Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews, Marchand... I like a checking line that works!

I think the team needs a second line it looks to me like we have 3 fourth lines instead.

I don't understand the lines beyond the Eichel line which probably should be broken up in order to establish a second line. Actually, this maybe the most important thing the Sabres have to do develop a true second line. And to do that the coach has to experiment with the lines.

Mitts needs to keep growing but is not there yet and Sobtka has hands of stone and slow. He is a good penalty killer, Berglund is a big guy and Larry is back to being Larry... Girgenson at least has speed and can go into corners, but yes the Sabres need a couple more guys with skill and speed to be able to truly role 4 lines.  Pommer has lost a couple of steps but still has a cannon if guys can feed him the puck.  2nd line isnt bad but Casey needs to step up.

8 minutes ago, NAO said:

"FOURTH LINE"?

Since I am not a hockey fan per se I only follow the Sabres I have no real concept of who the new players on the team are and how they fit in to the overall plan... What are #10 and #17 suppose to do for the team? Second-line-centres???? Can't be! Can it? #17 can win faceoffs...

But I do like what the media call the "Fourth Line". Except for me the line consists of 28 and 22 and 81. They can check and they can hit and if they stayed together for any length of time they would score too.

#28 was not in the lineup last game! I'm thinking as the second period looks as if the Flyers are, well, flying... Giroux will get a goal and an assist but maybe we can get a third goal for a win?! Giroux gets 1 goal and 3 assists! I was correct!

Over the years it is usually the other teams stars that do the damage against the Sabres when they have lost (which of course, has been very often). Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews, Marchand... I like a checking line that works!

I think the team needs a second line it looks to me like we have 3 fourth lines instead.

I don't understand the lines beyond the Eichel line which probably should be broken up in order to establish a second line. Actually, this maybe the most important thing the Sabres have to do develop a true second line. And to do that the coach has to experiment with the lines.

Welcome! You're completely right, other than the scoring part; I'm not sure I'd expect that from that line no matter how long they're together. There's a great post recently by Randall Flagg discussing how good that 4th line defensively, but it keeps getting broken up for some doghouse player. The end of the post comes down to: keep Skinner - Eichel - Pominville together, keep 28, 22, 81 together, and cycle in healthy scratches and guys in the middle two lines until something clicks.

• Like (+1) 1

That basically nails it. I just don't think Reinhart is being used effectively on Jack's line. They might produce, but I don't think it's the most useful production. 

I also felt like the team was playing a more complete game before Reinhart went to Jack's wing. They might have had a nice win streak with Reinhart there, but they don't look particularly good. 

Frankly, I think moving Sam to Jack's line hurt the team in the long run. It worked for that streak, but I think they're worse for it now. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

That basically nails it. I just don't think Reinhart is being used effectively on Jack's line. They might produce, but I don't think it's the most useful production. 

I also felt like the team was playing a more complete game before Reinhart went to Jack's wing. They might have had a nice win streak with Reinhart there, but they don't look particularly good. 

Frankly, I think moving Sam to Jack's line hurt the team in the long run. It worked for that streak, but I think they're worse for it now. 

Hadnt Sam been on a PPG pace recently?

Just now, Mustache of God said:

Hadnt Sam been on a PPG pace recently?

Sure. I think Sam is playing good hockey. And I'm advocating that he's more useful elsewhere in the lineup because of it. We have evidence that shows that Sam elevates his linemates. We need to do something with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Sure. I think Sam is playing good hockey. And I'm advocating that he's more useful elsewhere in the lineup because of it. We have evidence that shows that Sam elevates his linemates. We need to do something with that. 

Right. Yeah, i'd like to see Sam with Casey and Sheary, have him spark some secondary scoring. Our forward depth is still concerning...really hoping one or two Rochester boys can make the jump soon and we use those 3 first round picks to help as well

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't think it worked for the streak. I'm not sure Sam played with them for more than a game or two of it. 

29 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Would really like to see the Eichel line stats for the last 6 games (7 counting the Minny game that Jason was with Jack for the 3rd, and the ONLY time in those games that Pominville wasn't an anchor) that Pominville played on that line & also would like to see them dropping the Bah-stan game from that sample as well for the line w/ Sam on it.

If the numbers still bear out how well that line plays w/ Pominville there, then so be it.  But that Eichel line has gotten a pair just about every game (except Nashville & they got the only goal) since Reinhart rejoined it.

And Skinner, just in the last couple of games has started to figure out where to be now that that are 3 useful forwards on the line rather than just 2.  I fully expect if it stays together that line will be up ~2.5 gpg.

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.