Why doesn't Housley call a timeout, ever?

Eleven

Today was not the first time that the Sabres could have benefitted from a 90 second break and a talk with the coach.  Housley never does it.  Like, NEVER.  Why not?  You get one, you get to regroup.  At 4-2, that would have been a smart move.  

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Today was not the first time that the Sabres could have benefitted from a 90 second break and a talk with the coach.  Housley never does it.  Like, NEVER.  Why not?  You get one, you get to regroup.  At 4-2, that would have been a smart move.  

I have wondered about this.  Has he ever called one?

If I were Phil I would have called after the shortie to make it 3-2.

14 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have wondered about this.  Has he ever called one?

If I were Phil I would have called after the shortie to make it 3-2.

Yep, me too. They were so disorganized at that point.  Ant at 4-2, definitely.  

Why does he not do this?  It's basic.

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Good question.  Best guess is to be able to challenge a goalie interference call later in the game.  But that is just a guess.

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Good question.  Best guess is to be able to challenge a goalie interference call later in the game.  But that is just a guess.

But what if that never happens.  They were completely disorganized and, as Eleven said, it would have been the best time to call the timeout to re-group.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

But what if that never happens.  They were completely disorganized and, as Eleven said, it would have been the best time to call the timeout to re-group.

The question was "why," not whether we agreed with the decision.  Gave my guess at the answer.

I'm going to speculate that maybe, if we are supposed to be the fast young team with energy we don't want a slowing down, we want a pick it up tempo always. Just a guess.

Myself, I don't know why he didn't pull Ullmark at 5-2 (maybe even 4-2). Not cause it's his fault, but just to break the pace and act like a time out. Most coaches would do that. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

My guesses are that Wowie either:

A). Overtrusted in his group to come back in the game, regardless of the situation that was going on, or...

B). Had resigned to the fact that his group was unlikely to come back in this one, and wanted to use it as a “learning experience.” 

IF B was the actual reason, he needs to be punted.  (Truly doubt it was.)

There were about 15 minutes left when they went down by 2.  Plenty of time to keep it from becoming a "learning experience."

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IF B was the actual reason, he needs to be punted.  (Truly doubt it was.)

There were about 15 minutes left when they went down by 2.  Plenty of time to keep it from becoming a "learning experience."

I’m just saying, the question is ‘why didn’t he take a timeout / change goalies’ once it became 4-2. Those are my guesses. 

Once they gave up that 3 on 1, on a PP, and went down 3-2 - the team collectively seemed to have phoned it in. This became evident a handful of minutes later when the Sabres gave up 3 more goals in less than 3 minutes. 

The onus was on HCPH to do SOMETHING, and he did nothing other than switch around the lines. 

As a fan, I could sense the turn in the game. As the man on the bench and dealing with them daily, I have to assume his senses were far greater than mine. I’d surely hate to think he knew they were dead in the water, and did nothing other than hope for a learning experience. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m just saying, the question is ‘why didn’t he take a timeout / change goalies’ once it became 4-2. Those are my guesses. 

Once they gave up that 3 on 1, on a PP, and went down 3-2 - the team collectively seemed to have phoned it in. This became evident a handful of minutes later when the Sabres gave up 3 more goals in less than 3 minutes. 

The onus was on HCPH to do SOMETHING, and he did nothing other than switch around the lines. 

As a fan, I could sense the turn in the game. As the man on the bench and dealing with them daily, I have to assume his senses were far greater than mine. I’d surely hate to think he knew they were dead in the water, and did nothing other than hope for a learning experience. 

And I wasn't saying any more than if that 2nd guess is correct, he needs to go.  (Again, I don't expect it is.)

And switching around the lines IS something. Unfortunately, he couldn't swap the goalies.  Expect that would've been his 1st arrow.

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

And I wasn't saying any more than if that 2nd guess is correct, he needs to go.  (Again, I don't expect it is.)

And switching around the lines IS something. Unfortunately, he couldn't swap the goalies.  Expect that would've been his 1st arrow.

He could have swapped the goalies.  He could have spared Ullmark embarrassment and sent a message to the team that they didn't deserve to play in front of an NHL goalie the way they were playing.

Again, I'm not on the fire Phil train--the end of December isn't here yet, anyway--but I'm not happy with the way he managed the third period yesterday.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

He could have swapped the goalies.  He could have spared Ullmark embarrassment and sent a message to the team that they didn't deserve to play in front of an NHL goalie the way they were playing.

Again, I'm not on the fire Phil train--the end of December isn't here yet, anyway--but I'm not happy with the way he managed the third period yesterday.

Yes, to all of this.

Speaking of end of December.

I eagerly anticipate Santa's arrival and poem.  Once again, I have tried to be good this year and hope that that is good enough.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.