GDT - The Dastardly Flyers @ The Sharper Than Expected Sabres - 1:00 PM (EST) / 2:00 PM (NS time)

Sabres Fan in NS

8 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Rhea wasnt wrong

The way he articulated was wrong. Could’ve said the same thing and taken seriously but chose to sound like a clown. 

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

The Sabres just aren't that kinda team 

I know I don’t want them to become that kind of team. Angry fan who wants their teeth on a string hanging above the front door of KBC.

Edited by RambosKnife

14 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Well there's a huge does of humble pie.  That sure sucked. Especially seeing another teams goalie make the timely saves and poor it in the end. Maybe a little Hockey cosmo's balancing out the bounces and puck luck we had in the streak.  

Get a 2 goal lead from your captain and top scoring line and don't play with fire in your belly and lights out goal tending not surprised what you get. 

Tenneyson and Beaulieu absolutely horrible defensive games today.  Mittelstadt was equal portions of slow and horribly bad.  No secondary scoring beyond our top line and there was no urgency in their game after getting up 2. 

Philly was the better team , dominated face-offs, possession and probably out chanced us, I lose the post games show so I am just going on eye-sight. Last Phil's line combos beyond the top line didn't work.. 

Ok Phil, you got a lot to work on. We need McCabe, Hutton, Scandella, Zemgus and something else for  a number 2c, Mittelstadt looks like he should watch a few games if we have something with a bit more grit same results I would be up for that.

Hows' Porter or Asplund doing down on the farm. lets double down on the Swedes and give Asplund a shot...  

So I am curious to see if they rebound the way a good team should after a stinker like this....

Alsplund is doing well maybe call him up. Cant wait till Sobotka is unecessary... He was a pylon.

2 minutes ago, RambosKnife said:

The way he articulated was wrong. Could’ve said the same thing and taken seriously but chose to sound like a clown. 

I know I don’t want them to become that kind of team. Angry fan who wants their teeth on a string hanging above the front door of KBC.

Yeh but its the Flyers... any other team fine but I still carry a grudge from the 70s.

Edited by North Buffalo

Not enough secondary scoring still.  Really need a viable 2C.  My second priority is for the coaching staff to get it's act together as far as special teams.  Not much PP opportunity today (1-sided officiating again), but before today the PP was horrible and ineffective (still miss the Disco Dan days where we had a top 5 PP unit).  Unfortunately it killed us again today.  Just as bad is the PK.  I feel the unit is coached to be too passive and therefore there is no pressure on the puck.  I'd rather see the unit be aggressive and go down fighting vs. the timid approach I see now.

Get a 2C and fix special teams and we can maybe keep up with the division leaders.

30 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well that was ugly, we started great but seemed to lose steam as the game went on. Eichel became rather perturbed as the game went on in the 3rd until he finally seemed to hit point where he just stopped after the 6th goal. Can't blame him, he played well most of the game.

Reinhart was garbage after period one, he was directly responsible for the SHG in both a bad pass into the zone and then a dub pass to Giroux.  

Skinner is cold after hitting 20.

The defense finally hit its breaking point, 3 D down. Tennyson was a trainwreck to put it lightly. Eichel tried to aid him once and they scored due to it, then he later played weak on I think the 5th goal. Baloo was lost without a stable partner and reverted to bad Baloo form. 

Mitts had a good start but seemed to wear down after the myriad of missed calls against him. He was hacked/slashed/tripped/hooked etc in the 1st and some of the 2nd. 

Bogo is good offensively but plays the puck like a live grenade in his own zone half the time.

After goal 4 you could tell things started breaking down, more so on the back end as our better dmen became worn and the Flyers victimized our 3rd pairing.

I hope to see this game be another turning point in the season, akin to the SJS game we were butchered in that set us off on a great stretch of games. 

A very good post.  McCabe and Scandella (who I think is too maligned by many) are very much missed.

Sabres could of easily been up 4-0 in the 1st.  Once again the whole team failed to show up for the 2nd.

Waiting to turn it on in the 3rd failed miserably after the shorty.

I'll say again, I think Samson has to anchor the 2nd line and he needs to "bring it" in more than flashes.

I would like to see Reinhart and Okposo take on more leadership to help Jack.

saw it coming in the first period, the defence gave phillys offence to much room and allowed them to enter our zone unchallenged every time they attacked. Too much room given. regarding secondary scoring  think smith or nylander deserve a chance or maybe ollofson. No a happy Saturday night ?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

After today, it's time for Botts to make a 5rade. And not just short term help trade, but a hockey trade.

There's a lot of desperate teams right now looking to make a move. We'll be there with them if the coaching staff doesn't figure out how to turn this around.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

By the way, since I'm quite psychic today, the first poster who says, "Hey, they're playing well and at least they're fun to watch again — we'll be good next year" is going to feel my ire. I''ll bypass that filter every which way.

Hey, they're playing well & at least they're fun to watch again.  They'll be very good next year.

Bring it fracktown boy. 

26 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

There's a lot of desperate teams right now looking to make a move. We'll be there with them if the coaching staff doesn't figure out how to turn this around.

I believe we are re-signing Skinner. And not for 9 - 9.5 for 8. I believe a 4 to 6 yr contract at 7.5 to 8 may be incoming. Just a hunch.

Olofsson comes up for RW duty which should free up a move with Reinhart.

Of all the players, he is the expendable one, to me in any event. And Reinhart in a deal should be able to fetch a decent return, but, add to him an asset or 2, and the return might just add a significant center piece.

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Alsplund is doing well maybe call him up. Cant wait till Sobotka is unecessary... He was a pylon.

Yeh but its the Flyers... any other team fine but I still carry a grudge from the 70s.

I've seen a number of Amerks game this seasons and Asplund has been pretty underwhelming. He getting better but I think he needs at least this season in the A to round out his game. 

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I believe we are re-signing Skinner. And not for 9 - 9.5 for 8. I believe a 4 to 6 yr contract at 7.5 to 8 may be incoming. Just a hunch.

Olofsson comes up for RW duty which should free up a move with Reinhart.

Of all the players, he is the expendable one, to me in any event. And Reinhart in a deal should be able to fetch a decent return, but, add to him an asset or 2, and the return might just add a significant center piece.

Why are they trading Sam again? A good cost controlled player that meshes well with our top line players. 

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Why are they trading Sam again? A good cost controlled player that meshes well with our top line players. 

I would package Sam and an asset or 2 for an equally cost controlled player that can center a 2nd line.

Rickard Rakell.

Anaheim is looking for some assets, cost controlled as well as some futures. They are aware you have to give to get. A good shake up trade for both clubs imo.

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

I would package Sam and an asset or 2 for an equally cost controlled player that can center a 2nd line.

Rickard Rakell.

Anaheim is looking for some assets, cost controlled as well as some futures. They are aware you have to give to get. A good shake up trade for both clubs imo.

I would definitely do a Rakell for Reinhart swap (we'd add) but I doubt Anaheim would ever do that

Way too up with the win streak and way too down now with these losses. Aside from this one, where the wheels came off, a lot of close games both ways so maybe we just come back to earth now and realize a few things.

1) We are a MUCH better team than last year. Different style, different energy, well positioned to improve. 

2) We are not a very deep team. A few injuries and the holes show.

3) We are not a tough team. We don't have to be in this league but if you're not, you have to play fast and you need a really good PP.

4) Our PP sucks. We will not go far with this PP.

5) We will not go far until we have a second good line and secondary scoring. Right now everybody has realized you stop the top line you stop the Sabres.

Still think we're way ahead of the expected improvement level and I am optimistic with the flashes of brilliance and the style of play but we have to accept that at this point we are a middle of the pack team, no more no less. On any given night with a good effort and good goaltending we can play with and beat anyone, but if any aspect is missing we will lose.

Still, way better than last year and way more entertaining, don't lose sight of that. It's going to be okay.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.