John Vogl’s Article of the Future of Stadiums -Also One Buffalo Stadium?

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Concur. 

As an aside.....

One thing they should consider to enhance atmosphere is to vertically stack the seats ala the Aud.  It appears architects who design the new buildings like pushing things back.  This probably results in better sight lines, but you are further away from the action.  It has been often repeated that the old buildings are missed so much because the fans were right on top of everything.  It would make sense to make this a priority, along with attempting to amplify the noise in some way via the design.

Would definitely like to see the steeper bowls like the way the Aud was set up, but doubt they'll ever go back to that setup.

Also, know several people that had vertigo issues trying to get to their seats in the old oranges.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:35 AM, Huckleberry said:

I wonder, could the sabres fill 25.000 - 30000 seats ?  because doing a combo like that it would seem logical to try to get more seats for hockey games.

Every sports league should be looking to downsize their stadiums/arenas. 

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Would definitely like to see the steeper bowls like the way the Aud was set up, but doubt they'll ever go back to that setup.

Also, know several people that had vertigo issues trying to get to their seats in the old oranges.

Oh hell no. You’d have an upper bowl full and nobody in the lower 

2 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Oh hell no. You’d have an upper bowl full and nobody in the lower 

The Caps have operated that way for at least a decade. The lower bowl is all corporate seats that are under attended and all the fans need to go to the upper level. 

15 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Corporate crap. When corporations take over the teams and the real fans pay through the nose for seats anywhere inside it just sucks. 

How does having the rink configured with the seats tighter on the rink lead to a corporate takeover of the rink? 

On 12/7/2018 at 5:10 PM, Peter said:

Stade Pierre-Mauroy mentioned above seems like an intriguing building and could be an inspiration to design and build something that would maximize the use of any new facility.

Stade Pierre-Mauroy (Wiki)

Stade Pierre-Mauroy (collection of photos)

image.thumb.png.932c1cfe4953fc013f7fa00a93059e95.png

image.thumb.png.54dab42baf3aa98e4307d3be117da399.png

Pierre_Mauroy_Stadium_Tennis.jpg

looks horrible.....cripe thats the worst view stadium complex i have ever seen. Reminds me a bit of MGM grand in LV. Most of the seats are crap. you cant see a thing. As long as the new arena /stadium is designed nothing at all like this it should be fine.

Having a dual purpose stadium would be kind of gimmicky IMO.   How would lay sod over ice anyway?     I don't see how that would work.     

Watching a Sabres game in a giant building with all kinds of open space would be bad for aesthetics.     

Put them both on waterfront, connect them if you want with a giant tunnel or bridge or what have you.     

Or build a floating island just offshore in Lackawanna with ferries to and from the games.... or swim it if you drink enough... creates all sorts of business opportunities.   

20 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Having a dual purpose stadium would be kind of gimmicky IMO.   How would lay sod over ice anyway?     I don't see how that would work.     

Watching a Sabres game in a giant building with all kinds of open space would be bad for aesthetics.     

Put them both on waterfront, connect them if you want with a giant tunnel or bridge or what have you.     

Or build a floating island just offshore in Lackawanna with ferries to and from the games.... or swim it if you drink enough... creates all sorts of business opportunities.   

The best thing--and Ive been touting it for years..Is to put a stadium on the Tuscarora Indian Reservation. Buffalo BillS...Wild west Show 21st century.-You may have to relocate a few shabby homes/trailors. Smoke signals the morning before home games. Easy access from Rochester,Canada and from the population centers in Buffalo which are skewed to the north .--The whole wild west theme would be an international  draw and an enormous moneymaker not only for Pegula but for the people on the rez. The largest native american cultural center would keep the place buzzing all year.

I cant believe I am giving all this advice for free...

Lets think big.

The pictures from the Lille stadium are misleading a bit. While the soccer portion looks great, the photos making the stadium smaller doesn't look all that nice. But the total cost of that project was $340 million. Somewhere i read that the Buffalo superstructure would potentially cost $1 billion. That stadium was also build in 2012, if the Pegulas were to build one here, it'd be about 10 years after they build theirs.

While the concept remains the same, i would imagine the ideas and look would be very different.

1 hour ago, calti said:

The best thing--and Ive been touting it for years..Is to put a stadium on the Tuscarora Indian Reservation. Buffalo BillS...Wild west Show 21st century.-You may have to relocate a few shabby homes/trailors. Smoke signals the morning before home games. Easy access from Rochester,Canada and from the population centers in Buffalo which are skewed to the north .--The whole wild west theme would be an international  draw and an enormous moneymaker not only for Pegula but for the people on the rez. The largest native american cultural center would keep the place buzzing all year.

I cant believe I am giving all this advice for free...

Lets think big.

Not sure how the Indian theme would work if they play the Redskins or Chiefs?    

If we're going big... build the stadium on the Niagara River at the precipice of the Falls.... literally in the middle of the river overhanging the falls.      

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

If we're going big... build the stadium on the Niagara River at the precipice of the Falls.... literally in the middle of the river overhanging the falls.      

Remember the uproar a few years back when a fan passed out in the drainage ditch and died? Let's just one up that with stories of drunk fans falling into the Niagara River and/or over the falls. Free media coverage every game day!

On 12/7/2018 at 9:24 PM, bunomatic said:

I'm not in Buffalo so its not for me to say but I will. For those of us that only get to view the Sabres on the little screen and not in person I'd hate to see something like a football stadium that breaks down into a hockey rink. Clearly that building would be built for football and hockey would be the ugly stepsister or an afterthought. The intimacy of a rink would be lost in the expanse of a football stadium regardless of how hard they tried to please the hockey fan . A giant curtain brings thoughts of the wizard of Oz pulling one over on the little people with his bells and whistles. Give me a stand alone stadium any day of the week over playing second fiddle inside the belly of the beast that is the N.F.L. How do you pull the fans in on all sides right up to the rink inside an N.F.L. stadium ? How would you sit looking down onto the ice like you did in the old rinks like the forum or maple leaf gardens or the Aud ? I don't know but to me that intimacy is what creates the hockey experience whether you're there or at home watching on T.V.

FWIW, a football field is 53.33 yards wide (I looked it up), so 160 feet. Add in sidelines and having a 200 ft rink set in there sideways makes sense. As the article mentions, there are moving fields (like in Arizona). Roll the grass out to one side, have ice below in the "endzone", and build-in seats on the side that there aren't already seats. I'm not saying I like this plan, but I do see the draw.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, MattPie said:

FWIW, a football field is 53.33 yards wide (I looked it up), so 160 feet. Add in sidelines and having a 200 ft rink set in there sideways makes sense. As the article mentions, there are moving fields (like in Arizona). Roll the grass out to one side, have ice below in the "endzone", and build-in seats on the side that there aren't already seats. I'm not saying I like this plan, but I do see the draw.

The logistics of that from a space perspective makes some sense, but remember that NFL stadiums lower bowl "slope" is far more gradual/spread out than that of a modern NHL rink. That and I keep thinking of a Carrier Dome type setup of temporary bleachers on the field end that would be admittedly tacky and awful. I'm sure for the price being mentioned there is a more elegant seating arrangement, but the two sport stadiums always seem to be half-ass representations of both that don't excel at either sport in terms of layout and fan experience. 

34 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yup.

I have to assume a lame attempt at humour, but some things are just not funny and should not be joked about, IMO.

Oh that was serious dark sarcasm and as someone who lived thru 911 in DC/ANTHRAX/DC sniper/ ricin scare and couple of other clear the US Capitol complex events.. I appreciate the sarcasm dark tho it may be...

Edited by North Buffalo

18 hours ago, pi2000 said:

warring tribes!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.