I owe you all an apology.

TC in St. Louis

I owe you a sincere apology.  I had been a Sabres fan from their inception until I moved to St. Louis in 1992.  I transitioned to becoming a Blues fan shortly after. The Sabres were never on TV, and hockey is such an emotional sport that it didn't take long to make the move. (This doesn't apply to football...I have always been and will always be a Bills fan.)  
A week or so ago I decided to start paying closer attention to the Sabres. The Blues are eating it right now, and the Sabres had won 10 straight games! I thought it might be time to get the NHL package and start watching the Sabres. I realized that I could listen to that evening's Sabres game on Sirius radio. I went out to the car and tuned in. The Sabres were winning 5-4 in the game against Tampa. I came in and told my wife I was going to listen to the Sabres. By the time I returned to the car, they were tied, and eventually lost the game. They have not won a game since I decided to become a follower.
I have to shoulder the blame for this most recent downslide. I'm very sorry, Sabres fans.

I always root for the Sabres.  I was throwing crap all over the room when Edmonton won that draft lottery.  But Eichel looks pretty special.  And I hope that Sobotka, Berglund and Thompson work out well.  I'm going to root for the Sabres as hard as I can.  

• Like (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I owe you a sincere apology.  I had been a Sabres fan from their inception until I moved to St. Louis in 1992.  I transitioned to becoming a Blues fan shortly after. The Sabres were never on TV, and hockey is such an emotional sport that it didn't take long to make the move. (This doesn't apply to football...I have always been and will always be a Bills fan.)  
A week or so ago I decided to start paying closer attention to the Sabres. The Blues are eating it right now, and the Sabres had won 10 straight games! I thought it might be time to get the NHL package and start watching the Sabres. I realized that I could listen to that evening's Sabres game on Sirius radio. I went out to the car and tuned in. The Sabres were winning 5-4 in the game against Tampa. I came in and told my wife I was going to listen to the Sabres. By the time I returned to the car, they were tied, and eventually lost the game. They have not won a game since I decided to become a follower.
I have to shoulder the blame for this most recent downslide. I'm very sorry, Sabres fans.

I always root for the Sabres.  I was throwing crap all over the room when Edmonton won that draft lottery.  But Eichel looks pretty special.  And I hope that Sobotka, Berglund and Thompson work out well.  I'm going to root for the Sabres as hard as I can.  

You need to get yourself a Sonos my man.   Listening to XM in your car is so 2006.   Stream XM, WGR55 and all Apple Music in the convenience of your home.  

Thank guys.  I used to LOVE the Sabres.   French Connection, Andrychuk, Mogilny, Hasek, Foligno, etc.  I remember the fog games v Philly.  Went to road games in Chicago, and back in the day when Denver had their first franchise.  I go to see them whenever they are in St. Louis.  I am super-psyched they are doing so well so soon.  Half the people in our Bills Backer group in town have the NHL package and talk about them on Sundays.  I went to many games at The Aud. Maybe it’s time to lock in.  

By the way, when Hull scored in the crease, I was backstage at The Joe in Detroit, watching with a bunch of stagehands.  Half the room screamed “in the crease!!!” Immediately.  Including me.  

I live in Charlotte, NC.  There's a lot of people from various parts of the country here but a ton from North and North West states.  Some of them switched to Panthers fans and I don't know how you do that.  

I just could never switch and I don't understand how someone can.  

1 hour ago, 7+6=13 said:

I live in Charlotte, NC.  There's a lot of people from various parts of the country here but a ton from North and North West states.  Some of them switched to Panthers fans and I don't know how you do that.  

It's a different world today.  It's so much easier to stay current with your home town teams.  TV packages, Internet video packages, Twitter, forum's like this one, online access to WGR and the News, XM radio, online sports pages, even national highlight video didn't exist until the last 20 years.  I left home in 1984 to go to college.  Google was still 14 years from being created.  AOL didn't even exist.  You had to rely on box scores in USA Today to keep up with the teams.  Rarely were any hockey games on national TV and usually it wasn't the Sabres.  

With that backdrop is it really so hard to understand someone moving to a new community and they only hockey they really have access to is the local team?  I'm not surprised at all he became a Blues fan.  

When the Thrashers were here in the ATL, I rooted for them to succeed.  Yes I wore my Sabres Jersey to Buff/ATL games, but I often went to see the Thrashers when they weren't playing Buffalo because I love hockey and I wanted them to succeed.  

9 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

You love hockey and you live in a town that has a team with Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, and Curtis Joseph.  You go to the Barn and get sucked into the same stuff that used to get you worked up for the Sabres.  But the Barn is 8 miles away, and it's just great.  You start jumping up and screaming for hockey.  You cannot find the Sabres on the radio or on t.v.  Your friends are Blues fans.  You get caught up in it.  You get sucked in.  The Sabres come to town and you go to the game and root for the Sabres and the Blues win, so you're okay with that because you live here.  Two years later you see the Sabres again.  Blues win.  You don't know who's on the Sabres team because the internet isn't fully developed yet.  You buy the Sunday Buffalo News every Wednesday to try and keep up with the Sabres, but you just somehow become a St. Louis citizen and you are now a Blues fan.  You wish the Sabres well, and hope they meet in the Finals.  You watch the Stars play the Sabres in the Finals, and you root for the Sabres.  But still you have a new team.

But you still have a love in your heart for the Sabres.  They struggle for a few years, and you still pay attention to them, and want them to succeed.  You buy a strip of playoff tickets for the Blues, and are offered season tickets for $7.50 a game.  Yes, $7.50 a game.  Less than a beer.  So you go to 41 games, you're in a community that loves the team.  You still root for the Sabres, but now you have a home town, home team.  

Still a Sabres fan, but it's still a lot of work to keep up with them.  

And now I hope they continue to win, and I may buy the NHL package and buy in 100%.  

I don't know why I use 3rd person in this.  But you lived in Charlotte.  Carolina is in another city.  If you had the same opportunity to buy season tickets in your home town, things might be different.

Go Buffalo.  

True Confessions

Well I understand sort of. I love hockey and moved to PGH in 92 also.

However I never stopped loving on the Sabres as no 1. It was hard not to with Mogilny and Lafontaine back then. I used to listen on radio on the internet in those early years.  I do like the Pens as my 2nd favorite team because it its not hard when they had Bob Johnsen, Scotty Bowman and players like Paul Coffey, Mario and a good team when i got here and you still really hate on Washington, Philly, NYR, NYI because of how they played the Sabres.  

Yeah I know what about Darius Kasperitus, well I always hated him but he was rental for pens never really a true Penguin....

Oh and last if allowed to like a team from the west I never really did until for some reason the Vegas golden knights, so there's my dirty little secrets....

So forgive me commissioner for I may have fan sinned,  how many wind sprints and ice crawls is that for absolution?   

On 12/7/2018 at 6:13 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's a different world today.  It's so much easier to stay current with your home town teams.  TV packages, Internet video packages, Twitter, forum's like this one, online access to WGR and the News, XM radio, online sports pages, even national highlight video didn't exist until the last 20 years.  I left home in 1984 to go to college.  Google was still 14 years from being created.  AOL didn't even exist.  You had to rely on box scores in USA Today to keep up with the teams.  Rarely were any hockey games on national TV and usually it wasn't the Sabres.  

With that backdrop is it really so hard to understand someone moving to a new community and they only hockey they really have access to is the local team?  I'm not surprised at all he became a Blues fan.  

When the Thrashers were here in the ATL, I rooted for them to succeed.  Yes I wore my Sabres Jersey to Buff/ATL games, but I often went to see the Thrashers when they weren't playing Buffalo because I love hockey and I wanted them to succeed.  

It's not hard for me to comprehend - I just can't relate.  I just could never do it.  

There's levels of fandom and I recognize that.  Depending on where you are on that spectrum determines how easy or hard it would be to root for another team as much or more than a team you grew up with.  

There's too much of a love affair for me to ever put another team above them.  

Edited by 7+6=13

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.