Kim Pegula - NHL Commissioner?

tom webster

From the Article 

Kim Pegula, co-owner, Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres

Regarded as one of the most powerful women in sports, Pegula is integrally involved in two major professional franchises, as well as a handful of other properties that fall under the Pegula Sports and Entertainment business, operated by her and her husband, Terry. In May, Pegula became the first team president in both the NFL and NHL, so she has experience not only in running a team but in the many business offshoots that come with that. Seen as a sharp, forward-thinkingbusinesswoman with ample experience, she recently represented the Sabres at the NHL Board of Governors meeting. 

Said one person who has dealt with her professionally: “She’s a logical thinker. Progressive. Works hard. Not in it for any glory. Just wants the best for their enterprise and the city of Buffalo.”

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, sabills said:

I read that, too. Here ya go: https://theathletic.com/697082/2018/12/06/who-will-be-the-next-nhl-commissioner/

Not sure how that would work, though. Wouldn't they have to sell the Sabres?

I do not believe so, she would probably need to resign  her roles as President of the Sabres  and Bills and probably PSE though 

Edited by Brawndo

12 minutes ago, sabills said:

Seems like a conflict of interest to have an owner as commissioner.

I think Terry is the primary owner of the Sabres or the ownership could be transferred to him if the NHL deems it necessary.   And when the time comes if a Majority of the BOG Supports her, she will be all set. Besides the Commissioners Job is to promote and protect the interests of the owners, who better to do that then one of their own? 

She would need to recuse herself from matters directly concerning the Sabres. Player Suspension Appeals for example 

Kim’s life reads like a work of fiction.

Born in Korea and abandoned on the streets of Seoul at age 5.  One birth parent Korean and one likely Japanese. Brought to America and adopted by a family in Fairport.  Met Terry Pegula at a restaurant who then offered her a job with his company.   Eventually the two married.  Now she is one of the most powerful people in sports and entertainment in the country.  Only in America.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Isn't the little guy all set, like in the old Soviet Union and some other places with supreme leaders, as Commissioner For Life?

The article basically says that he's the commissioner until he doesn't want to be any more, and it doesn't seem like he plans on retiring anytime soon. But he's still 66 or something.

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The nuclear event that you may have heard about in Pennsylvania was not a terrorist attack or a nuclear meltdown. It was PA's head exploding. 

More seriously, is it even possible for an owner to be commissioner? 

Brawndo thinks so. I'm still skeptical. Even if they remove her name as owner (something I don't forsee her wanting) I think being married to an owner would be disqualifying. I know the commish works for the owners, but they have to work for ALL the owners, and the optics just wouldn't be great. I just don't see it happening.

Who know's if she'd even want it, too. She has a pretty nice little empire here, IDK if I'd want to give that up to get booed at drafts.

5 minutes ago, sabills said:

Brawndo thinks so. I'm still skeptical. Even if they remove her name as owner (something I don't forsee her wanting) I think being married to an owner would be disqualifying. I know the commish works for the owners, but they have to work for ALL the owners, and the optics just wouldn't be great. I just don't see it happening.

Who know's if she'd even want it, too. She has a pretty nice little empire here, IDK if I'd want to give that up to get booed at drafts.

The question needs to be asked Why would anyone listen to Brawndo? 

Here was Katie Strang’s Response to someone asking why Kim Pegula was included.

30531131-16BC-4FEA-A5B4-C179A8E6D452.thumb.png.f99f31bd1ee2673470adbc21733249e4.png

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not really up on my knowledge of the background of pro sport commissioners.  Have many had a history in ownership?  Selig's the only one that comes to mind and he did transfer his ownership of the Brewers to his daugher before taking the job.  So in that case, it definitely stayed in the family.

Kim's great.  I don't know if the Commissioner's job is a good fit though.

Why does Bettman get booed?  In Buffalo, it's likely No Goal.  Elsewhere, it's likely the frequent labor stoppages, the wonky player discipline, and, in Canada, the moving of teams from traditional Canadian markets to large American TV markets.

But who makes the decisions?  The owners at the NHL Board of Governors meetings.

The Commissioner's job is to be the face of evil of the league in the fan perspective.  They're the punching bag.  They take the hits so that the fans don't associate the NHL's unpopular or terrible ideas with their own team's owners.  The Commissioner is the PR shield, complete with a PR department.

And it works.  Team owners only get booed when they make bad team moves (like relocate their team, get stingy on payroll, or hire/refuse to fire the wrong personnel).  Owners get a pass on all league-wide dealings, because the perception is that it's the Commissioner's fault.

For that reason, it has paid off for the owners to have basically the cartoon version of a slimy lawyer take that roll.  Bettman will always be remembered among fans more for the lockouts than the growth and stabilization of the league's economy.

If Kim took that role, I could see a number of weird things occurring, none of which would be her fault.

* She might have to accept that cartoon evildoer role.  I don't see it.  Even if she doesn't, fans may pigeon hole her that way anyway as it's all they've known for the past 25 years with Bettman.

* She might try to bring an era of progressivism to a draconian labor system.  Maybe she'd push to negotiate the CBA, you know, before a lockout occurs.  But there could be pushback from all sides that drag her down.

* She might be criticized for not being a hockey-professional (like Shanahan), even though Bettman and Daly aren't.  Like early criticisms of Bettman that called him a "New York Lawyer," which was code for "Jew," Kim could experience a wrongful bias both from those within the game and from fans.  She wouldn't deserve it (no one does), and she can rise above, as she has, but would she want to take on that spotlight position?  I think she still would, but it's her own personal call; she's done great so far.

But there would be great things too:

* She would be the first woman commissioner and I think the first Asian American commissioner in the history of the big four.

* With Seattle being settled and a new TV contract about to be set, the next era of the NHL could be an era of peace and prosperity, not rapid expansion and cash grab.  This could allow for next-level refinement of the sport on topics like labor, fan experience, player safety, player discipline (on and off the ice), charity outreach.

* It could also finally bring more involvement with other leagues to unify grow the sport worldwide.  Kim now has experience working with the AHL, NCAA, ECHL, NWHL, and IIHF.  She's been extremely proactive in building and fostering successful opportunities in those leagues.

* I think the Olympics are back on the table.  Scrap the World Cup of Cash Grab, or at least stop using it as a lever to prevent Olympic involvement.  Embrace the Olympics, support it, synergize with it to grow the sport and the league brand.  This is a dropped ball that can really bring great things when carried.

Yeah, in all seriousness, I couldn’t see an owner assuming the mantle the way the positions have evolved.

My “get” out of this is just how fast she has moved up the chain. A friend at the NHL office mentioned to me six months ago how respected she was and how people were already discussing how Lafontaine’s stock had taken a little hit because of his fractured relationship with her.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.