Post job interview etiquette

inkman

17 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Is 'Ghosting' a thing for hiring managers?

Asking for a friend.

My wife told me that the trend now is to 'Ghost' a friend and just ignore them and not even tell them that you are doing it.

I had an interview in early December and they expected to move to the next step prior to Christmas.  Nothing.

It is a big (the biggest) bank and things move very slowly.  The hiring manage was going to talk with other departments to see about best fit.  It's a pert-time job that I am over qualified for, but I am easing into retirement / sale of my accounting practice and just want to have a steady part-time paycheque.

So, what do you guys and gals think?  Will I hear anything (either way), or not?

Not where I work.  We are too busy and get little support from HR. 

I hire engineers.  Electrical, computer, mechanical and aerospace.  We have trouble hiring and retaining.  There are more jobs than qualified people right now. 

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Not where I work.  We are too busy and get little support from HR. 

I hire engineers.  Electrical, computer, mechanical and aerospace.  We have trouble hiring and retaining.  There are more jobs than qualified people right now. 

Wow.

Halifax is a great place, but has been and is, although it seems to be changing, a good 10 years behind everywhere else.  

As recently as 6 years ago when I was last looking seriously at going back to that 'other' world and had gone to the second interview stage for a job that I was recruited for.  They were very professional about it, but went with another candidate.  They sent me a hard copy in the mail of what my lovely wife refers to as the '***** off and die letter'.  

So, I should not expect that letter, or anything, eh?

+++++

On another note ... your presence seems to have continued the Sabres terrible play and / or results in St. Louis.  I hope you did manage to enjoy your night out, somehow, in spite of the Sabres.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
darn, those missing letters ... I really can't type

18 hours ago, inkman said:

I really don't understand how a company can go with that offer to you?  Was the salary request above market for the position?

I think he believed that I was desperate for the position. I haven't worked in the field for about a year, but as i explained to him and others that i interviewed with, I have a few alternate income streams that take at most 5 hours of my time per week. Time that I can put in on evenings and weekends. Maybe he didn't believe me and thought he could low ball me. Either way, a 30% lowball offer is a total non starter in pretty much any negotiation process.

The salary I asked for was probably right at the mean for someone at my level. At my old company, that I left voluntarily, we had a saying for our HR department who coined the phrase "selecting the best" for the candidate interview and hiring process. We added on. "Select the best. Pay the average."

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

Everyone wants to blame millennials. It’s the cutest thing Boomers do. 

I'm not a boomer, but I dont blame millennials really, I mostly blame their parents.

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Wow.

Halifax is a great place, but has been and is, although it seems to be changing, a good 10 years behind everywhere else.  

As recently as 6 years ago when I was last looking seriously at going back to that 'other' world and had gone to the second interview stage for a job that I was recruited for.  They were very professional about it, but went with another candidate.  They sent me a hard copy in the mail of what my lovely wife refers to as the '***** off and die letter'.  

So, I should not expect that letter, or anything, eh?

+++++

On another note ... your presence seems to have continued the Sabres terrible play and / or results in St. Louis.  I hope you did manage to enjoy your night out, somehow, in spite of the Sabres.

Well I don’t know what you do and if you are trying to move to the USA.  A lot has changed in six years. The young engineering grads of today are not the same as I was in 1981, nor would I expect them to be.  Companies no longer offer pensions, so loyalty is not a factor.  You can bet that a young talented engineer in the US will change companies within 2 to 5 years.  Unless they love the place they live and love their life outside of work they will move on and get a big pay jump too.  Expect them to change job many times.  My 31 year old daughter is a journalist and now with her fourth company.     Her salary would not increase without these moves and the time to do it is when you are young and more mobile.  

Not sure what you were recruited for 6 years ago but today we do not sent letters in mail.  Everything is done via internet portal and email. If you don’t get the job you get an email saying such.  If you apply with me I will call you and talk to you either way.  I will answer questions and wish you the best.  I may even point you to another opportunity.  I am old school. Most people won’t do this.   Most companies have stripped down HR teams and outsource their staffing teams ... Cost cutting.  

++++

I did enjoy the night out, despite the Sabres performance and outcome.  Thanks 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.