inkman

Post job interview etiquette

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

I actually had a recruiter from a much bigger city reach out to me recently and did an interview yesterday over the phone. They offered an in-person which I denied because the pay doesn’t match the jump in cost of living nearly enough... but that was the first time I’ve been approached by a recruiter which was a nice experience.

I hear from recruiters via phone or email almost daily it seems like...if I would have known this is what it would be like once your resume got out there as a software engineer/developer, I would have tried to keep it on the downlow, hahaha...

Just like R Kelly...

"Keep it on the downlow....nobody haaaassss to knowwwww....."

Edited by matter2003

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

I actually had a recruiter from a much bigger city reach out to me recently and did an interview yesterday over the phone. They offered an in-person which I denied because the pay doesn’t match the jump in cost of living nearly enough... but that was the first time I’ve been approached by a recruiter which was a nice experience.

Expect the flood gates to open from here. Those people are like vultures. Once your info is out there on a source they can pull from, they all have it. I still get emails based on a resume I posted probably 15 years ago. They never have anything to do with the work I do, but those people will not fill positions unless they try. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Expect the flood gates to open from here. Those people are like vultures. Once your info is out there on a source they can pull from, they all have it. I still get emails based on a resume I posted probably 15 years ago. They never have anything to do with the work I do, but those people will not fill positions unless they try. 

My info has been out there I just hadn’t really updated it until recently and now I’ve got some actual appeal so that’s nice. Doesn’t hurt to talk.

I believe that you took the proper steps in correct sequence.  It sometimes take a while for the corporate gears to move.  Best of luck and I hope that you are awarded the position.

• Like 1

I interviewed for a computer analyst job years ago. Everything went well and I got a call a few days later from their HR who made me an offer. My only counter was that I asked if I could have my own cube. When interviewing with my potential manager she had said I would be sharing a cube. And after thinking about it I knew doing so would be distracting when I’m trying to concentrate.

HR said they would check with the manager and get back with me. A couple of weeks passed and I got no return call or email. So I sent an email to the manager asking what the status of my request was. She said she never heard from HR, and had assumed I wasn’t interested in the job. I decided I didn’t want to work for a company that was that unorganized, and ended up finding another job.

No one makes hiring decisions based on a thank you note (or lack thereof).  Anyone who would is not someone you'd want to work for anyway.  Many, many things can happen between a good interview and an offer (or not).   

-They might have found someone they liked better but are keeping you on the string until they close him.
-They might have done a final 2019 budget review and realized they needed to shave a couple jobs out of the budget.
-As they got closer to making an offer, they might have reviewed the role more closely and revised the job requirements.  

I've seen all those things happen many, many times.   And sometimes everything is fine, and the key people just got distracted/delayed, or haven't been able to connect in person to make a final group decision.  That happens a lot, especially at year end with lots going on both at work and at home.  So hang tight and wait for them to make the next call.  Showing eagerness is fine, but going overboard is not.