Babcock's dystopic vision of KeyBank Center for Leafs games

PASabreFan

24 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

That is not possible.  Plain old Leaf fans can't even take over their arena.

What in the hell?

This I agree with.  It's a challenge to the home team fans to up their game.  Soccer stadiums always have designated areas for visiting fans.  It is one of the most awesome things in European football and I think that MLS is trying to do the same thing.

I concur.  If Leaf fans could just tone down their abrasiveness a tad in a visiting building, it would be a much more enjoyable for everyone.  Cheer for your team, but don't be a super jerk to everyone in the building.  I found going to a game in Toronto is fairly laid back because Leaf fans don't feel the need to be total douches all the time, and you can have a fairly good natured, educated conversation with them.  Ditto Montreal. 

3 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I concur.  If Leaf fans could just tone down their abrasiveness a tad in a visiting building, it would be a much more enjoyable for everyone.  Cheer for your team, but don't be a super jerk to everyone in the building.  I found going to a game in Toronto is fairly laid back because Leaf fans don't feel the need to be total douches all the time, and you can have a fairly good natured, educated conversation with them.  Ditto Montreal. 

This is not surprising, as the 'fans' can't get into a game in Toronto.  All the straight-lased suit wearing (hold up, I often wear a suit, so I can say it) corporate types are just there to make deals and entertain each other.

I agree Montreal (never been to the new arena, but The Forum was great) fans are fantastic.

32 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I was at the same game, but the ratio, if I recall correctly, was heavily in favor of Buffalo (the Leaf fans were more subdued that game too because most Sabre fans were frothing at the mouth from Stanley Cup fever....they didn't dare be their obnoxious selves).  Not even close to a regular season invasion at least.  I think that offers an important roadmap if we ever see the Leafs in the playoffs going forward in that it won't be 50/50, but more 75/25.

I think that's right.

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Paging Woody!!

Come in Rudy!!

Is anyone near the county jail?  If so, please look for Woody.  He was supposed to be at the game last night.  Has anyone seen a report from Woodsie?

Heya, I was there right where the Sabres come out of the hall. I was surrounded by leaves, it was autumn in my section. A few sprinkled sabres fans, we all had fun and poked at each other, but yes the go leafs go completely out chanted anything buffalo. I had a 5 pack of 24 Oz beers so that helped me palate the situation 

In thinking, the guy next to me wore neutral colors and joked that he didn't wanna get caught in the rivalry, and the 2 sabres fans behind me admitted they were from Canada and never pledged their allegiance to evil Toronto ? also known as the great Satan 

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

That is not possible.  Plain old Leaf fans can't even take over their arena.

What in the hell?

This I agree with.  It's a challenge to the home team fans to up their game.  Soccer stadiums always have designated areas for visiting fans.  It is one of the most awesome things in European football and I think that MLS is trying to do the same thing.

You don’t even live here, wtf,

41 minutes ago, Weave said:

All this hub bub about Leafs fans.  Let’s not forget the horrible reputation we had in Carolina.

Transplants that live there. 

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is not surprising, as the 'fans' can't get into a game in Toronto.  All the straight-lased suit wearing (hold up, I often wear a suit, so I can say it) corporate types are just there to make deals and entertain each other.

I agree Montreal (never been to the new arena, but The Forum was great) fans are fantastic.

I think this is kinda overblown.  There is stubhub in Toronto too.  For Thursday's game vs divisional and geographic rival Detroit, there are seats in the upper deck for $100 and in the lower level for $200.  Not cheap but not insane either.

3 hours ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I was at the same game, but the ratio, if I recall correctly, was heavily in favor of Buffalo (the Leaf fans were more subdued that game too because most Sabre fans were frothing at the mouth from Stanley Cup fever....they didn't dare be their obnoxious selves).  Not even close to a regular season invasion at least.  I think that offers an important roadmap if we ever see the Leafs in the playoffs going forward in that it won't be 50/50, but more 75/25.

I was there as well and remember how distinct the Sabres support was compared to Leafs fans, and compared to regular season games.  Felt like 80/20 to me.

23 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think it even happened last night.

I have not checked, but I would imagine that the aftermarket sales are next to nothing, except for the true profiteers.  

And any Leaf fan had better have their tickets in hand going forward, because there will be no way that they could by them on the normal market.

Nothing stops Buffalo fans from buying tickets now. It's not like you have to state your fanhood on StubHub to buy a ticket. Maybe it's due to years of being able to by $6 seats, but Sabres fans are not yet opening their wallets. Prices are still below STH prices for most games. Even a 10-game win streak hasn't motivated most fans to spend money on games. Maybe after the Bills season is done? The secondary market is a very good barometer of where your fan base really is.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I kind of like the atmosphere at Leaves games.  I love watching 6000 of them shuffle out with their tails between their legs, which is what happens about 75% of the time (and even more often when the Sabres actually are good, like now).

Also keep in mind that not all STHs are from Buffalo.  I always went to about 10 Caps games per year when I lived in DC, just because I wanted to see NHL hockey.   There are plenty of STHs from Ontario who just want to watch hockey, and for some of them, Buffalo even may be a secondary team.

Season tickets are really expensive.  I can understand if someone wants to offset/recoup by selling off Leaves and/or Habs games.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Weave said:

All this hub bub about Leafs fans.  Let’s not forget the horrible reputation we had in Carolina.

Maybe the Sabres organization should start handing out fan behavior expectation cards to all Leaves fans as they enter the arena.  Then proceed to antagonize those very same fans that they expect to be on their best behavior with pot shots directed at their team and city on the scoreboard throughout the game.  That should turn out well.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

Maybe the Sabres organization should start handing out fan behavior expectation cards to all Leaves fans as they enter the arena.  Then proceed to antagonize those very same fans that they expect to be on their best behavior with pot shots directed at their team and city on the scoreboard throughout the game.  That should turn out well.

Good to see ya!

17 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think this is kinda overblown.  There is stubhub in Toronto too.  For Thursday's game vs divisional and geographic rival Detroit, there are seats in the upper deck for $100 and in the lower level for $200.  Not cheap but not insane either.

Corporate types selling to other corporate types.  It has been that way since about the mid-1970s when Ballard decided that he was in business and not the hockey business.

I guess I am not totally understanding the idea of purchasing season tickets and then selling off the ducats to the most exciting games.  Yeah, profit margin I know but still.  I had partial season tickets years ago and I sold off the games I DIDN't want to go to, not the ones against our big rivals.  It does kind of rub me the wrong way when there are so many Toronto fans in the building when the Leafs play, but I'm not about to tell anyone who has shelled out for a season ticket that they can't sell any games they want.

I think maybe if we would up in a playoff against the Leafs, there would be far fewer sales to TO fans.  I think...  ?

4 hours ago, Sabre Dance said:

I guess I am not totally understanding the idea of purchasing season tickets and then selling off the ducats to the most exciting games.  Yeah, profit margin I know but still.  I had partial season tickets years ago and I sold off the games I DIDN't want to go to, not the ones against our big rivals.  It does kind of rub me the wrong way when there are so many Toronto fans in the building when the Leafs play, but I'm not about to tell anyone who has shelled out for a season ticket that they can't sell any games they want.

I think maybe if we would up in a playoff against the Leafs, there would be far fewer sales to TO fans.  I think...  ?

Well one explanation is if you want to see some games but can't afford full seasons, you can sell enough to make the cost affordable. The added bonus of being an STHer is guaranteed access to playoff tickets.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.