GDT - Maple Leaves @ Sabres - December 4, 2018 - 7:30 PM (EST)

Sabres Fan in NS

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Not really, just a different threat. Eichel has a great shot and great passing skills thus while not as scary of a shooter he also brings the fear of passing it.

Lets talk about tonights game, now knowing the facts, it is kind of obvious who won the battle, and to me that is basicly the answer to this question about who of these 2 is the bigger threat in the end of a season. I think Jack is a hell of a player, money well spent but never the less, Auston got picked first and theres ur reason why.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not sure where it will sit when all the scores are in, but Sam’s two points tonight temporarily moved him into the NHL’s top 50 in scoring, while Jack’s put him into the top 10.

The last few games showed me that the difference between us and the real contenders is Mittelstadt and Thompson coming into their own.

Mostly, yea. Although some more offensive juice from our bottom-6 would be nice, and I still want another top-4 Dman.

Anyway, I think Matthews is better than Eichel as a whole. He's a better goal scorer, generally better defensively (though Jack has made some big strides this year), and is currently pacing for more points in fewer games. Eichel is a considerably better playmaker. However, I don't think the delta between them is particularly large, nor is it ever likely to be determinitive in terms of which team is better. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Just now, MODO Hockey said:

Lets talk about tonights game, now knowing the facts, it is kind of obvious who won the battle, and to me that is basicly the answer to this question about who of these 2 is the bigger threat in the end of a season. I think Jack is a hell of a player, money well spent but never the less, Auston got picked first and theres ur reason why.

Eichel has beat Matthews pretty much just as often. They seem to alternate game to game when they both face off.

Also McDavid would of been picked ahead of Matthews as well so it really isn't apples to apples on draft spot. 

At times I'd actually say I fear Marner more than Matthews because he's shifty and also a great passer.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not sure where it will sit when all the scores are in, but Sam’s two points tonight temporarily moved him into the NHL’s top 50 in scoring, while Jack’s put him into the top 10.

The last few games showed me that the difference between us and the real contenders is Mittelstadt and Thompson coming into their own.

While I agree completely we need Mitts to come along, fill out his size more and so on, Thompson to me in any event, will never be anything but a good 3rd liner. He just doesn't have the feet for speed. And in today's NHL, you need more than just a few stick handling mode, you need speed, to be in those top 2 scoring lines, imho.

I got words now that I've had the dinner and a pop. That was a fantastic hockey game the losing aside. This team is entertaining and if our secondary scoring could chip in a timely goal or two we'd be on the good side of the score more often than not. Pilut is a revelation after what 2-3 games ? Such a smart player. I'm not sure if he goes back down. I can't wait till the next game. Last season I couldn't wait for the next game to be over. That says it all for me.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And ...  over the next eight years ...  the trajectory of our Nylander.  I see him as a pivot point.  If he develops top six .. pivot ... if he does not.

AND ... what a hockey game.  The Sabres are now TV relevant, too.  You can bet the suits said “we nailed tonight”.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Eichel has beat Matthews pretty much just as often. They seem to alternate game to game when they both face off.

Also McDavid would of been picked ahead of Matthews as well so it really isn't apples to apples on draft spot. 

At times I'd actually say I fear Marner more than Matthews because he's shifty and also a great passer.

I dont see ur point of bringing Mcdavid into the conversation when this is specificly between Jack and Auston, but lets say they were all in same draft, its pretty obvious who had ended up on 3rd place.

Anyhow, 

Good night :)

11 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Austin got picked 1st because there wasn't McDavid ahead of him

And honestly Matthews situation and entrance in the league is so much incredibly better than Eichel's

To play Devils Advocate STHs have spend a lot of money to watch crappy hockey over the past few years to the point where they could not give tickets away. If they want to recuperate some of their losses by selling for top dollar to The Southern Ontario Market that’s unfortunately their prerogative. I disagree with the practice, but then again I only buy 10 Games a year from a STH. 

7 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

First one is irellevant obviously since were speaking only about Jack and Auston, so the 2nd part

Well you said Auston was picked 1st. Did I read that incorrectly? Were you not referring to the draft?

As for the 2nd part. Look at Matthews team, coach, and devlopo compared to Eichel's. Matthews started rich and remained so

Edited by WildCard

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

To play Devils Advocate STHs have spend a lot of money to watch crappy hockey over the past few years to the point where they could not give tickets away. If they want to recuperate some of their losses by selling for top dollar to The Southern Ontario Market that’s unfortunately their prerogative. I disagree with the practice, but then again I only buy 10 Games a year from a STH. 

For sure.  To add to this, how many others dropped their season tickets at the end of last year?  Looks like a lot based on the early season mid-week games averaging just over 15,000.  That’s 4K worth of tickets up for grabs.  I was at the Calgary game and there were tons of empty seats everywhere

Edited by repster

Auston Matthews is an incredible talent who stepped into a situation where Toronto was done with rebuilding, already had young talent and an outstanding coach. As a result he was able to elevate his play above Jack as Eichel has been a one man show on offense for a up until this season.  

What I take solace in is the fact that Corey Pronman was asked who the Top 5 Players to enter the NHL since 2014 were and his response included two of Sabres. 

20 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well you said Auston was picked 1st. Did I read that incorrectly? Were you not referring to the draft?

As for the 2nd part. Look at Matthews team, coach, and devlopo compared to Eichel's. Matthews started rich and remained so

Yes he was picked first, and if Jack and Auston was in the same draft im pretty sure who would have been picked first, if they all 3 were in the same draft were both pretty sure who would have been picked first, therefor adding Mcdavid to the conversation doesnt add up to me since the conversation started about who is the bigger threat to the oposit team fans speaking of Sabres and Leafs.

I dont see the difference regarding the teams since Toronto was as big of a tank team as Sabres was, overall looking on maybe 10 seasons back or something. They rebuilded same as we did. But lets say Auston started "rich", i dont ever see Jack outscoring or doing more points than Auston, i just think Auston is the better player of them both.

Edited by MODO Hockey

Only got to watch the third period and OT.  This team is still 4 good NHL players away from contending. I think 2 more top 6 forwards and two more D.  Sobotka, who I've taken a special interest in given his abysmal fancy stat status, lived up to his billing. Without fail, Everytime he touched the puck, he made a negative play. It's uncanny how awful he is at hockey. He needs to go. Buy him out or make him an Amerk ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 1

Tough way to lose, but really fun game to watch.

And, yes, only getting 2 of 8 points looks bad in a vacuum.  But when one considers 3 of those 4 games were arguably against the 3 best teams in the league and the 4th was coming the day after their first "playoff atmosphere" game in 7 years in a building they've played horribly in for about 4 years.

Also stinks that they've now lost 4 1 goal games in a row after winning like 11 of 13, but again, they were playing the best the league has to offer & only losing by 1.

A cool thing about this game is they showed that they can come out and control play out of the gate when not going against stellar defense.  If Andersen didn't stand on his head, they could've been up 2-0 at the end of 1.

Rough game to play 50 minutes with only 5 D, especially facing a team with that much firepower.  But the D held their own.  Unlucky/ facing serious talent on the 1st goal.  Very poor decision to send the puck to the point on the 2nd goal, that Pilut nearly kept them out of trouble but Marner mde a great pass through Lawrence to the front then they got some puck luck.

If Reinhart realizes how gassed Eichel is in OT, pretty sure Jack would've had his hattie.

Pilut looked good.  If we get both Scandella and McCabe healthy, we may find out that Elie is expendable as Pilut has played his way into the lineup (as Randy predicted he would) & Beaulieu doesn't deserve to be AHL bound & Nelson would get snagged (he doesn't deserve to go down either, truthfully).  Scandella may be out a long time getting him fully back, as putting McCabe in for Nelson gives this group of 6 their best top 6 since the Spring of '06.

Can't wait until Saturday.  Time to start a new winning streak.

And btw, the 1 point tonight gives them 12 points in this 10 game segment with 1 game left to play.  They'll have 38-40 points through 30 games.  That pace is in the playoffs every single year & that's with them still not quite having the 2nd line mesh & the 3rd line playing poorly or meh at best.

This team will still get better this season.  (Record probably won't get significantly better, but the play will.)  Imagine what could be with a 2C.

Best/most fun season since '06-'07.  Keep it up boys.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Neo said:

And ...  over the next eight years ...  the trajectory of our Nylander.  I see him as a pivot point.  If he develops top six .. pivot ... if he does not.

Nylander, or Olofsson or Thompson or Smith or one of our coming first rounders...Kyle and Connor are fine middle six wingers, but they are two of four. More importantly, Casey needs to become at least an adequate counterpoint to Turris, Point and Tavares. Right now, that is the biggest gap in any single roster spot.

It's not even 30 games in, but I'm starting to think the D is in better shape than most believe. Dahlin makes such a difference. He will be a one. Hell, he might be a one before he turns 19. Risto is a 2. At their best, McCabe, Bogosian and Scandella are legitimate 2nd pairing guys. Beaulieu and Nelson match up with most teams 6/7s. The oldest guys are 28. We've got Samuelsson and Borgen coming to defend, Pilut and Laaksonen to attack and Guhle to do both. Even if they peak as depth guys, it's depth. They are top 10 offensively and the team is 11th in goals against. We held the Leafs to 30 shots including OT. The Preds had 25.

The D is going to be OK

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.