GDT - Maple Leaves @ Sabres - December 4, 2018 - 7:30 PM (EST)

Sabres Fan in NS

Just now, Chris223 said:

Is it just me, or do I see Eichel lose control of the puck and give it away ALL the freaking time, usually trying to show off his uh, skills.  Afinogenov anyone.

He shortened his stick this off season. It has had a negative effect on his shot and stick handling I'm but helped his board battles and defense. Trade offs

• Like (+1) 1

I was in my car and had to listen to most of the 1st period.  I hate to say it, but Dan Dunleavy is terrible from a play-by-play standpoint.  I could not visualize the game with only his commentary.  I never noticed this before because I had the benefit of television to see the action.  I hope Rick sticks around a while.

Bogosian made about four dumb plays at the end there. 

When you play the Leafs, you need to keep the puck in your team's possession, and you need to avoid icings. That way, the Leafs' offense doesn't have the puck. Pretty simple formula. 

Other than that, fantastic period by the Buffalo Sabres, and it's a shame we couldn't cash in. We need to start burying our chances right away!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Samson's Flow said:

He shortened his stick this off season. It has had a negative effect on his shot and stick handling I'm but helped his board battles and defense. Trade offs

The shortened stick angle hasn't been proven to my satisfaction yet. There's a podcast where he talks about having shortened his stick, but it sounded like it's been for his whole NHL career.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Didn't like how the period progressed, but the Leafs are gonna get their chances. Come out strong in the second! 

Sabres came out flying in the first, but the leafs handled our pressure and counter punched late there. Still 0-0, but it's important the Sabres make a push back in the 2nd

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

I was in my car and had to listen to most of the 1st period.  I hate to say it, but Dan Dunleavy is terrible from a play-by-play standpoint.  I could not visualize the game with only his commentary.  I never noticed this before because I had the benefit of television to see the action.  I hope Rick sticks around a while.

Once RJ retires they will need a dedicated radio only PBP Announcer. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Didn't like how the period progressed, but the Leafs are gonna get their chances. Come out strong in the second! 

We dominated, but the longer it went, the more it felt like the Leafs were going to pop one against the play.

Love how the boys are going for it, especially from the back line. Housley hockey.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

You are more polite than even me in this particular instance.  I was going to say it was just him.

(insert winkie - winkie thingie here)

Just now, PASabreFan said:

The shortened stick angle hasn't been proven to my satisfaction yet. There's a podcast where he talks about having shortened his stick, but it sounded like it's been for his whole NHL career.

I don't know what your burden of proof is, but I believe it enough based on his comments and my game observation this year

Just now, PASabreFan said:

In the podcast he said he's taken a little off each year, no? It's shorter now than it was last year. Or he just magically forgot how to stickhandle, but it was obvious to me from the first period of the first preseason game it was even shorter than last April which was shorter than his first year. 

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We dominated, but the longer it went, the more it felt like the Leafs were going to pop one against the play.

Love how the boys are going for it, especially from the back line. Housley hockey.

Yep. Really fun hockey to watch. We went toe to toe with them. 14-7 shots but I was always worried the Leafs would get a quick odd man rush. We have to score. The Rasmii look great, which is nice to see in this obviously huge game, on national TV, after a couple disappointing one goal losses. 

If anything, that period made me feel we are a legit team.

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

In the podcast he said he's taken a little off each year, no? It's shorter now than it was last year. Or he just magically forgot how to stickhandle, but it was obvious to me from the first period of the first preseason game it was even shorter than last April which was shorter than his first year. 

The quote was vague. But if his stick has been shorter one season to the next, wouldn't we have seen issues last year and the year before? I'm just not buying it. It sounds like excuse making. If it's that big a problem, I'm guessing he would have changed back by now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.