GDT - Sabres @ Predators - December 3, 2018 - 8pm EST

SabresBaltimore

That was a frustrating game Sabres had chances but no puck luck.  Seeing eye deflection won the game. After the first played much better... missed McCabe on back end and Sheary’s speed, Sobtka is sn anker and Bergland not much better. Nashville played really goid D to combat Sabre speed and Eich needs to shoot sooner stop dipsy doodling before he shoots.  Overall not bad but not enough. 

The frustration was setting in, and as such occurred, the Sabres started forcing things. It was easy to see, Nashville was playing a frustrating game, hitting, and just being in our faces. I still wasn't cool with playoff style officiating, but that didn't make or break the game.

The power play needs some serious help, it's not even an NHL PP, I don't think the loss of O'Reilly would cause it to disintegrate, but maybe that's It; also, if I see one more terrible drip pass I may throw my remote through the television, I mean, cmon guys, there's no positive to that and it's actually just slowing the team down. 

Eichel and Thompson need to hit the freaking net, in a game like that, no picking corners, hit the goalie and fight for a rebound, that's why we have Skinner and guys as such. 

Hutton again was excellent and cementing himself into Ryan Miller territory which is sorely needed, solid presence back there, and he handles the Puck so well. 

Sabres played a good but not great 40 minutes and got lucky to escape the 1st down only 1, it's OK, just this losing steak can't continue to mount or it'll erase all the good we just did. 

Lastly, I need to see more from Jack, less crying to the refs, less teenage pouty face, more battle, and score some damn goals, you're the captain, your team will emulate your attitude and the frustration stated with him. 

My entire reading of the game boiled down to this.

It was playoff officiating and the Sabres need to learn how to play through that.  The hit on Okposo though.... how that was not called.

Also, it's as if the Sabres were running the Predators game plan and I would imagine the Predators know how that plan works.  They knew where the Sabres were going with the puck most of the time.  If the Sabres want to beat Nashville they will need to run their own version of the Predators game plan that Housley brought to Buffalo.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I mostly saw the second, where they looked quite good.

Real-time SAT data indicated that the Predators fairly controlled the 3rd though (?).

I'd say Buffalo controlled it for a while in the second up until Nashville got their 2nd goal.  After that, it was all Nashville the rest of the way.

52 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Lastly, I need to see more from Jack, less crying to the refs, less teenage pouty face, more battle, and score some damn goals, you're the captain, your team will emulate your attitude and the frustration stated with him. 

That kind of stuff is creeping back into his game. The stress of not scoring seems to be mounting. He needs to learn how to line up for a draw. And, no, the linesman isn't "faking him out."

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That kind of stuff is creeping back into his game. The stress of not scoring seems to be mounting. He needs to learn how to line up for a draw. And, no, the linesman isn't "faking him out."

Is it me, or is he getting tossed a lot more this season? I am not unhappy with him, but I'm also expecting more from a 10 million dollar franchise center. 

14 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why do most anthem singers lose it on "stripes"?

My guess is it's the lowest note in the melody combined with an odd word to sing. The other times the melody hits that note are "say" (O-oh SAY can you see) and two "ing"s (gleaming and streaming). The Star-spangled banner is difficult song to sing as it covers 1.5 octaves, were an average to good singer only really has one solid octave of range. For instance, in the common keys of B-flat or C a Soprano woman those low notes are outside what's considered their range, or for an Alto the high notes are a little outside their normal range. Many female singers (as in ones that have dreams of pop stardom) are Sopranos.

1920px-2_Star_Spangled_Banner.png

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm going to start grabbing video of these, and maybe you or someone can tell me what he's doing wrong 75% of the time. I'm seeing him getting thrown out before twitching a muscle now. And he's not the only one getting thrown out without twitching a muscle. 

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

The Sabres are a really good team.

That was totally watchable hockey.

I really think I’m watching a different game than the one most of the posters in this thread watched. Everyone played great.

The only area of concern is the power play. It’s not good.

I counted no less than ten shifts by the predators in the offensive zone that were never close to being recreated by the Sabres in terms of team's hockey ability. And the offensive zone was where the Predators played the worst of the three zones last night. 

You're right, I think we were watching different games! 

Edited by Randall Flagg

23 minutes ago, MattPie said:

My guess is it's the lowest note in the melody combined with an odd word to sing. The other times the melody hits that note are "say" (O-oh SAY can you see) and two "ing"s (gleaming and streaming). The Star-spangled banner is difficult song to sing as it covers 1.5 octaves, were an average to good singer only really has one solid octave of range. For instance, in the common keys of B-flat or C a Soprano woman those low notes are outside what's considered their range, or for an Alto the high notes are a little outside their normal range. Many female singers (as in ones that have dreams of pop stardom) are Sopranos.

1920px-2_Star_Spangled_Banner.png

Our anthem is butt

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I counted no less than ten shifts by the predators in the offensive zone that were never close to being recreated by the Sabres in terms of team's hockey ability. And the offensive zone was where the Predators played the worst of the three zones last night. 

If nothing was different about that game other than the uniforms were switched, all we would have heard was

(1st)man we had so many chances and coudln't bury it/we need more finishers/should up by more than 1

(2nd)man, we're lucky to be only tied/they really took it to us in the second.

(3rd)wow, full on alamo mode/we were lucky to hold on for that one/we were lucky skinner missed a wide ope net/but for a lucky deflection, we should have lost that game.

Perspective. If you don't believe me, go back and read the Tampa GDT.?

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If nothing was different about that game other than the uniforms were switched, all we would have heard was

(1st)man we had so many chances and coudln't bury it/we need more finishers/should up by more than 1

(2nd)man, we're lucky to be only tied/they really took it to us in the second.

(3rd)wow, full on alamo mode/we were lucky to hold on for that one/we were lucky skinner missed a wide ope net/but for a lucky deflection, we should have lost that game.

Perspective. If you don't believe me, go back and read the Tampa GDT.?

Or people are actually capable of analyzing a hockey game and aren't hopelessly blinded by their team loyalty to the point of easy predictability.

We were outclassed in Tampa too. Which is fine, because these two teams outclass everyone right now. But it still happened

Edited by Randall Flagg

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Or people are actually capable of analyzing a hockey game and aren't hopelessly blinded by their team loyalty to the point of easy predictability.

We were outclassed in Tampa too. Which is fine, because these two teams outclass everyone right now. But it still happened

The pendulum often swings both ways.

I was reading how awful Erod was while watching him get 2 shots on goal and keep possession in their zone for about the last minute of play in the first.

I giggled.

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Is it me, or is he getting tossed a lot more this season? I am not unhappy with him, but I'm also expecting more from a 10 million dollar franchise center. 

He’s better at draws. Maybe it’s a factor of pushing the envelope more to get more wins?

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The pendulum often swings both ways.

I was reading how awful Erod was while watching him get 2 shots on goal and keep possession in their zone for about the last minute of play in the first.

I giggled.

It’s almost like players make both good plays and bad plays throughout the course of a game and some fans are wired to pay attention to different things than other fans.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

He’s better at draws. Maybe it’s a factor of pushing the envelope more to get more wins?

It’s almost like players make both good plays and bad plays throughout the course of a game and some fans are wired to pay attention to different things than other fans.

Interesting theory.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think that it might have to do with the fact that either you are an analytics person, or not.

If you are you are watching for certain things and if you are not you are looking at different things.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just full of piss and vinegar, or poop.  One, or the other, eh.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm going to start grabbing video of these, and maybe you or someone can tell me what he's doing wrong 75% of the time. I'm seeing him getting thrown out before twitching a muscle now. And he's not the only one getting thrown out without twitching a muscle.

I might have heard that he was thrown out of one draw last night because of a teammate's violation.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

IOn the other hand, maybe I'm just full of piss and vinegar, or poop.  One, or the other, eh.

Poop would be my guess.

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think it has more to do with if you like a guy you see and remember his good plays and if you don't you see and remember his bad plays. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's probably the same with plays and posts, Nashville had 117 points last year the Sabres had 62, a difference of 55 points

This year thru approximately 1/3rd of the season they have 39, close to on point from last year, we have 37. I think a lot of us are watching different Sabres games from you this year. You seem to young to not ENJOY the ride so far this year. Relax, don't do it, when you want to post it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

We should name this idea something snappy, like Cognitive Bias. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jsb said:

Poop would be my guess.

I think it has more to do with if you like a guy you see and remember his good plays and if you don't you see and remember his bad plays. 

It's probably the same with plays and posts, Nashville had 117 points last year the Sabres had 62, a difference of 55 points

This year thru approximately 1/3rd of the season they have 39, close to on point from last year, we have 37. I think a lot of us are watching different Sabres games from you this year. You seem to young to not ENJOY the ride so far this year. Relax, don't do it, when you want to post it.

Nobody has time to read all of the posts on a message board, but I've absolutely been enjoying this season, and have made lots of posts talking about it. Including in the GDT of the Tampa game. But I also can tell when we are not on the same level as another team, and will post as much, just like I was posting about how the first Boston game that we lost 4-0 was a pretty encouraging game while the titanic sank around us. 

It's not about a mindset. We worked hard. Some guys made good plays. More guys were overwhelmed than that, and Nashville carried the play because of it. Making that observation in what is hopefully a calm and rational manner is not unreasonable. It's not like the 3 game losing streak is making me toss the season or anything

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

And there are games in which our players make a fair number more good/fewer bad plays than the other team. 

And if anyone thinks this was us in the Nashville game, respectfully, I cannot understand what they were looking at. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.