President Bush (Sr.) Passed Away

Sabres Fan in NS

I only joined the Club to post this.  No offense, but I will unjoin / leave after this post.

+++++

It is Saturday and the board is not very active and it happened late last night, but I am a bit surprised that this news is not getting more play.

Anyway, I am quite liberal in my politics, so it will be no surprise that I was not a fan of President Bush.  

94 is a very good age and he did seem to really love his family very much, so I will give him that.

Like all Presidents, I feel that he has blood on his hands and I will pray to God to have mercy, as I do for everyone that passes away.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

Too long.

I don't know about that.  My great-grandmother lived to 98 and she was moving around pretty good until about 6 months before she died.

I don't want to sit around all day just waiting for the end, but if I can live some kind of life, I'm in for the long haul.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:04 AM, LTS said:

I don't know about that.  My great-grandmother lived to 98 and she was moving around pretty good until about 6 months before she died.

I don't want to sit around all day just waiting for the end, but if I can live some kind of life, I'm in for the long haul.

My godmother's mom is 102.  Yesterday, she had to lecture my mother on what date and day of the week it was.

The average lifespan of a man in the U.S. is in the mid 70s I think. I guess I can see how older people are more content with mortality. They have a whole lifetime of experience to gain perspective. I imagine maybe some things start to break down at that age and you just kind of have to accept it. 

12 minutes ago, RambosKnife said:

The average lifespan of a man in the U.S. is in the mid 70s I think. I guess I can see how older people are more content with mortality. They have a whole lifetime of experience to gain perspective. I imagine maybe some things start to break down at that age and you just kind of have to accept it. 

A lot will depend on the kind of person you are as well.  People who've made a lifetime of being more active usually don't adjust well to changes in lifestyle that require them to be less active.  Quality of life is the key.  Is the life you can still lead going to be fulfilling to you?

A friend just had his uncle die at 92.  The guy wanted to die basically.  He was done sitting around all day long not being able to do anything.  No one is really upset because everyone knew he was basically living out his last days miserable with his condition.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

A lot will depend on the kind of person you are as well.  People who've made a lifetime of being more active usually don't adjust well to changes in lifestyle that require them to be less active.  Quality of life is the key.  Is the life you can still lead going to be fulfilling to you?

A friend just had his uncle die at 92.  The guy wanted to die basically.  He was done sitting around all day long not being able to do anything.  No one is really upset because everyone knew he was basically living out his last days miserable with his condition.

Well that was uplifting...

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

Well that was uplifting...

Not sure why you said that... 

This isn't being 22 and being able to reshape your life.  You've lived a long life at 92 and you've lived it a certain way.  Unfortunately he had some internal issues that creeped in and he was basically "getting by" each day. He was no longer the person he had always been. So, he was miserable.  No one wanted him to die, but they take solace in the fact that he's no longer waking up each day and getting mad about the fact that it happened.  (This is how it was relayed to me.)

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Not sure why you said that... 

This isn't being 22 and being able to reshape your life.  You've lived a long life at 92 and you've lived it a certain way.  Unfortunately he had some internal issues that creeped in and he was basically "getting by" each day. He was no longer the person he had always been. So, he was miserable.  No one wanted him to die, but they take solace in the fact that he's no longer waking up each day and getting mad about the fact that it happened.  (This is how it was relayed to me.)

Apologies. My remark was more off the cuff and not specific to that particular situation. More of a pondering of my own mortality kind of thing. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

15 hours ago, ubkev said:

Apologies. My remark was more off the cuff and not specific to that particular situation. More of a pondering of my own mortality kind of thing. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

No worries.  Thanks for clarifying. I mean, I'm not keen on the topic of dying overall and it's certainly not uplifting in the overall sense.