Injuries starting to mount

GASabresIUFAN

Wilson and Hunwick have been out all season and are still listed as out indefinitely.  However both have been making progress and it would seem one or both may be ready by the new year.   Neither are critical to the success of this season as both are depth players, but I like Wilson's effort and we will need him before the year ends.

However 4 key players are now sidelined with injuries.  All are listed day to day and their absence was felt last night against TB

Berglund - has been out since Nov 21, missing the last 5 games with a upper body injury.  

Sheary - has been out since Nov 27 also with an upper body injury. Sheary had 3 g and 4 a and +5 in 12 games in November.  His effort was missing in TB.  However, CBS says he may be available against FLA tonight.

Scandella - Like Sheary he has been out since Nov 27.  Day to Day, buy Pilut travelling with the team.  We will miss his game if this becomes a long-term issue.

McCabe - Arguably our most consistent D YTD.  He went down in TB and is listed day to day.  He has been skating 19+ minutes a game for us.  

The Sabres have been fortunate with injuries so far this season, but Sheary, Scandella and McCabe are very important pieces for this team and we need them back sooner then later.  

That said I'm looking forward to seeing Pilut in the lineup.  

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wilson and Hunwick have been out all season and are still listed as out indefinitely.  However both have been making progress and it would seem one or both may be ready by the new year.   Neither are critical to the success of this season as both are depth players, but I like Wilson's effort and we will need him before the year ends.

However 4 key players are now sidelined with injuries.  All are listed day to day and their absence was felt last night against TB

Berglund - has been out since Nov 21, missing the last 5 games with a upper body injury.  

Sheary - has been out since Nov 27 also with an upper body injury. Sheary had 3 g and 4 a and +5 in 12 games in November.  His effort was missing in TB.  However, CBS says he may be available against FLA tonight.

Scandella - Like Sheary he has been out since Nov 27.  Day to Day, buy Pilut travelling with the team.  We will miss his game if this becomes a long-term issue.

McCabe - Arguably our most consistent D YTD.  He went down in TB and is listed day to day.  He has been skating 19+ minutes a game for us.  

The Sabres have been fortunate with injuries so far this season, but Sheary, Scandella and McCabe are very important pieces for this team and we need them back sooner then later.  

That said I'm looking forward to seeing Pilut in the lineup.  

The injuries were inevitable.  Surprised they've seen as few as they have to date.  If Pilut plays tonight, he'll be the 1st callup to play and it'll be the 27th game.  What other team has gone that long without a non-training camp injury?  That's Canes miracle '06 run health there.

Fortunately the team is young & should stay relatively healthy due to the resiliency of youth.  But I'd be surprised if they go more than a handful of games from here with nobody (not including Hunwick nor Wilson in this) on IR.  (Would also be surprised if we saw many/any more than the 4 we'll be missing now at any one time due to the youth.) The sport is too brutal to go completely unscathed.  Opportunity for the kids on the farm.

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed it was bound to happen... nice now the Sabres have some young depth.. doesnt feel as desperate.  Nice job JBot... flu season is out there and would bet Scandy may be touched by it which is why he is nowhere near the team... dont need a typhoid Mary near them.

Yeah it was just a matter of time before the injury bug bit us.

I also think several of our guy's are playing through some ailments. Teams have really been targeting and taking liberties with some of our top guys (Jack, Skinner, Casey(because he's a rookie), Erod, Sobotka's game has looked worse other then FO but he does play a Physical game and gets a rough ride from a lot of teams. 

It effects guys differently as some players games appear off or a gun shy. Bad Passes, Not finishing hits, passing too soon or blindly to shy away from a hit..

TBH that's why teams get physical especially of they see it works. If the blatant penalties would get called(cross check in 3rd on Skinner was way worse that the one called on Bogo at the end of the period) and we can rise above it that physical edge from other teams would settle down.       

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

????

I believe his sarcasm is around a notion I saw in some threads that we looked soft and bad because we didn't practice and work hard enough all the the time..

You know the old coach mentality that "The beatings will continue until the moral improves"  followed by Phil is too soft....

Depth is a weakness.

One of the ways this team falls apart is to incur simultaneous injuries to two of Ristolainen/Bogosian/Scandella/McCabe, as this forces playing two of Hunwick/Tennyson/Pilut and pushes Beaulieu and/or Nelson into 2nd pair minutes in pairings that aren't likely to be good.

Another way this team falls apart is to incur injuries to either Eichel or Skinner, or two of Sheary/Mittelstadt/Reinhart/Pominville. Then, Remi Elie and maybe another call up are in full time and/or you ask, say, Sheary (0.98 G/60) to replace Skinner (2.47 G/60) or Reinhart? (2.44P/60) to replace Eichel (3.47P/60).

Organizationally, this is something we need to be able to overcome to be a perennial contender, but I don't think we have that yet.

• Like (+1) 1

This is really bad to say, and, obviously, it's not intended to come off as it will read, but, I've been looking forward to testing our depth.  

There is no way the opening night roster is set in stone for the season, I think the TB game last night put the feather in that cap, so this gives us a chance to see who on that roster is truly replaceable by the kids in the AHL.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Depth is a weakness.

One of the ways this team falls apart is to incur simultaneous injuries to two of Ristolainen/Bogosian/Scandella/McCabe, as this forces playing two of Hunwick/Tennyson/Pilut and pushes Beaulieu and/or Nelson into 2nd pair minutes in pairings that aren't likely to be good.

Another way this team falls apart is to incur injuries to either Eichel or Skinner, or two of Sheary/Mittelstadt/Reinhart/Pominville. Then, Remi Elie and maybe another call up are in full time and/or you ask, say, Sheary (0.98 G/60) to replace Skinner (2.47 G/60) or Reinhart? (2.44P/60) to replace Eichel (3.47P/60).

Organizationally, this is something we need to be able to overcome to be a perennial contender, but I don't think we have that yet.

Eich has 3.47 P/60?? That's outstanding.

1 hour ago, ... said:

This is really bad to say, and, obviously, it's not intended to come off as it will read, but, I've been looking forward to testing our depth.  

There is no way the opening night roster is set in stone for the season, I think the TB game last night put the feather in that cap, so this gives us a chance to see who on that roster is truly replaceable by the kids in the AHL.

I get this exact feeling. You don't want to sound happy that McCabe/Scandy/Sheary are out, and you're not, but we've all wanted to see Pilut, Nylander, Smith, maybe Olofsson etc.

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Eich has 3.47 P/60?? That's outstanding.

I get this exact feeling. You don't want to sound happy that McCabe/Scandy/Sheary are out, and you're not, but we've all wanted to see Pilut, Nylander, Smith, maybe Olofsson etc.

I don't want Sheary out, but I agree I'm very interested to see how these kids so, especially Pilut.  I said in the roster thread that I thought Pilut could supplant Baloo this season.  I admit Baloo is playing better and executing PH's system.  I also like what I've learned about Baloo's work in the community and that has made me root for the guy.  That said, I think he is the odd man out if Pilut proves NHL ready.

PH said McCabe is week to week.  This is a huge blow.  Nelson is also week to week, which means he probably broke some ribs.

Scandella and Hunwick are day to day and Wilson still out indefinitely.

So the D right now is 

Dahlin, Risto, Bogo, Baloo, Pilut and ....? Tennyson? Guhle?  Dougherty?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.